Woman alleges that Oregon GOP congressional candidate Mike Erickson paid for her abortion in 2001

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟845,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

The story first broke in 2008 during an earlier failed campaign by Erickson, who has run on anti-abortion platform for years.

Last month, the Oregonian editorial board met ... questioned him about paying for the abortion, along with questions about his past driving-while-drunk charge.

“I dropped her off at a medical clinic by Lloyd Center and she didn’t say she was going to get an abortion,” Erickson replied. “I helped her out because the girl I was dating—you said girlfriend—this girl I was dating, and she was living with her boyfriend. We covered all that in the past. They had a child together. I think they were breaking up or something and wanted some help. I helped this person out.
--
“Did I pay for an abortion? Absolutely not,” Erickson said.

“She was having some financial troubles,” he said. “She asked for some money to go have a doctor’s appointment — not knowing what that was — and whatever happened, happened, I guess. I didn’t even know she had an abortion.”
--
[The woman] ... said in the 2008 interview that she was sobbing so much going into the clinic that “I couldn’t speak.” She recalled that Erickson “looked like he cared.”

“I asked him, ‘Are you sure you don’t want a baby?’” she said. “He shook his head. I opened the door, got out bawling and crossed the street and walked up to the clinic.”

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LINK

The story first broke in 2008 during an earlier failed campaign by Erickson, who has run on anti-abortion platform for years.

Last month, the Oregonian editorial board met ... questioned him about paying for the abortion, along with questions about his past driving-while-drunk charge.

“I dropped her off at a medical clinic by Lloyd Center and she didn’t say she was going to get an abortion,” Erickson replied. “I helped her out because the girl I was dating—you said girlfriend—this girl I was dating, and she was living with her boyfriend. We covered all that in the past. They had a child together. I think they were breaking up or something and wanted some help. I helped this person out.
--
“Did I pay for an abortion? Absolutely not,” Erickson said.

“She was having some financial troubles,” he said. “She asked for some money to go have a doctor’s appointment — not knowing what that was — and whatever happened, happened, I guess. I didn’t even know she had an abortion.”
--
[The woman] ... said in the 2008 interview that she was sobbing so much going into the clinic that “I couldn’t speak.” She recalled that Erickson “looked like he cared.”

“I asked him, ‘Are you sure you don’t want a baby?’” she said. “He shook his head. I opened the door, got out bawling and crossed the street and walked up to the clinic.”
once again a he said she said, no evidence of any kind attack on someone running for office, gets real old.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟199,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Seems like there's an unstated exception in the GOP platform on outlawing abortion. Nothing about safety of the mother of course, but exceptions for convenience of the father has been coming up quite a lot.

We can't have abortions interfering with his anti-abortion campaign down the road, now can we?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seems like there's an unstated exception in the GOP platform on outlawing abortion. Nothing about safety of the mother of course, but exceptions for convenience of the father has been coming up quite a lot.
That assumes that the rumors are true and not invented for political advantage. So I could say that maybe the unstated exception exists only in the mind of those who believe unverified information.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,991.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We can't have abortions interfering with his anti-abortion campaign down the road, now can we?
It isn't like the people he's targeting as voters have a history of showing they care about minor things like their candidates being consistent or telling the truth. Seems like a reasonable bet on his part to try and pull one over on them again.

Upvote 0