Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently found one of those small witnessing cards you see sometimes while I was at work. One of those 1 minute gospel cards, telling people to just pray for God to take away your sins, put a smile on God's face and all that. It bothered me. What are we trying to get across to people? I understand many more serious witnesses are out there, but bear with me.

I work at a retail store. The specific department I work in is filled with various individuals, almost all of them oppose Christianity, and will occasionally take a moment just to make fun of it. I'm sure many of you have similar experiences. To hear those around you mocking Christ, raucously laughing and teasing. They don't know what they're talking about. They don't understand who they're talking about. But so many times, I'll see witness attempts that seem to forget this.

I saw the card when one of my co-workers was walking around with it, reading it aloud for the others to hear. I found it painful to listen to. The card did not represent Christ, not the real Christ. But these people took it as though it did. They think of the Gospel as weak, for idiots and mentally enslaved fools. They are miserable with their own lives, but they scoff at our God. They don't want help. They don't want God. They hate him, openly.

I asked the co-worker for the card, and when he gave it to me, I promptly walked to the nearest trash, tore up the card and threw it in. The man I took it from looked at someone else and said, "she tore up the word!" I said "That wasn't the Word, that was a lie. That doesn't represent Christ. If people are going to witness, they have to do it right. That was trash."

But that's just the thing. So many people out there have the same thing to say, the same "God needs us so much, and if you just listened you'd make him so happy!" "Put a smile on God's face, pray today!" We not an advertising firm. We are spreading the Truth. So how should we witness? What will get through to an audience like that, and audience that hates you and what you have to say?

• Winner
Reactions: Hvizsgyak

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, Wolf

By allowing the spirit of Christ to flow through you, and pray for them. There are many people in this life who will do as you are expressing. And it may hurt to hear them laugh and mock, and if you know the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ. Think about Him, he was mocked, and even spit on his face, beat with fist of others, he was doubted, and laughed at. He took and bore all the sins of man kind, that people have had their sins paid for. They have the freedom of Choice to look towards God or not. Took me 26 years after my life of even mocking and laughing at God to realize that God was real.

Pray for those who hate you, or despitefully use you Jesus had said to his disciples.

Some will listen to the truth, some will not and reject it. The Gospel in the Bible of the Life, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ is the truth. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life.

Upvote 0

Herbivore Wolf

Jun 19, 2021
Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen. I agree to that. It's a good way to keep myself calm. But then what do the best approach for reaching them? In a way they can hear if not respect... So many of my co-workers are precious people, even through their hate. I pray for them often, and I see the image of God in them every day, or at least glimpses. They are fearless in their opinions, and I can't help but believe that if any of them were Christians they would be mighty indeed. I am small and quiet, and find it hard to show my belief at work, to my shame.

Upvote 0

Carol Walker

Apr 18, 2021
Norman
✟19,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I recently found one of those small witnessing cards you see sometimes while I was at work. One of those 1 minute gospel cards, telling people to just pray for God to take away your sins, put a smile on God's face and all that. It bothered me. What are we trying to get across to people? I understand many more serious witnesses are out there, but bear with me.

I work at a retail store. The specific department I work in is filled with various individuals, almost all of them oppose Christianity, and will occasionally take a moment just to make fun of it. I'm sure many of you have similar experiences. To hear those around you mocking Christ, raucously laughing and teasing. They don't know what they're talking about. They don't understand who they're talking about. But so many times, I'll see witness attempts that seem to forget this.

I saw the card when one of my co-workers was walking around with it, reading it aloud for the others to hear. I found it painful to listen to. The card did not represent Christ, not the real Christ. But these people took it as though it did. They think of the Gospel as weak, for idiots and mentally enslaved fools. They are miserable with their own lives, but they scoff at our God. They don't want help. They don't want God. They hate him, openly.

I asked the co-worker for the card, and when he gave it to me, I promptly walked to the nearest trash, tore up the card and threw it in. The man I took it from looked at someone else and said, "she tore up the word!" I said "That wasn't the Word, that was a lie. That doesn't represent Christ. If people are going to witness, they have to do it right. That was trash."

But that's just the thing. So many people out there have the same thing to say, the same "God needs us so much, and if you just listened you'd make him so happy!" "Put a smile on God's face, pray today!" We not an advertising firm. We are spreading the Truth. So how should we witness? What will get through to an audience like that, and audience that hates you and what you have to say?

One thing is definite. As Christians, we should be well-versed in not only the Scriptures, but in how sinners think. Attempts at witnessing like those cards, show too clearly that someone wasn't thinking about how their audience would receive them. They didn't consider how their portrayal of Christ could/would be torn down. And that's an embarrassment to serious Christians everywhere. Before we go out into the world, we need to be prepared for the mockery, the indifference and the dislike we will certainly receive.

Knowing how to argue well is also a must. Sometimes a Christian can run across a sinner who is very intelligent and clever with their denial of our God, and the Christian will need to be smart to overcome the sinner's excuses and language tricks. But as long as there are "Smile Cards" out there, it will be very hard to reach certain sinners, especially if they think they've heard all they need to.

• Agree
Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wolf,

1 Peter 3:4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Do not worry about it. Show your love for them; and show your love by your actions through your faith, allowing the Goodness of God to flow through you by and through the spirit of Christ.

Listen not everyone really cares about the word of God. Trust God...

Just simply trust God in how you should handle situations and ask him how to do so; though we have our own choices of what we may do. It might take those others years to turn to Christ, just remember what you are doing by your faith in prayer and having love for them, is what God desires for us to do and place God first. Consider the scripture given.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can also consider asking if they would like to read scripture in bible study somewhere too, it just depends on what you wanna do you can ask them that they might say yes or no. Just depends.

I do not think arguing or anything will help anything at all.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen. I agree to that. It's a good way to keep myself calm. But then what do the best approach for reaching them? In a way they can hear if not respect... So many of my co-workers are precious people, even through their hate. I pray for them often, and I see the image of God in them every day, or at least glimpses. They are fearless in their opinions, and I can't help but believe that if any of them were Christians they would be mighty indeed. I am small and quiet, and find it hard to show my belief at work, to my shame.

The thing about putting yourself out there in Public, is that all eyes are now on you, and they will be looking for you to do something that they believe isn't "Christlike".
So, SAINT..... unless you are a strong believer, who can teach "grace through faith", "the gift of Salvation", clearly, and simply, then always count the cost before you "go public", as once you do, you are then become the only JESUS they know, and that responsibility is not a Joke.
If you mess that up, you can send people to hell.
Thats a fact.

Also, when i was about 4-5 ys old, i had already developed pretty advance reading skills.
I was tearing though Comic books before i was in 1st Grade, and im not the only one.
One day, i was with my Mother, it was the summer, and we arrived to the Post office, as this was a once daily event.
As im walking across the parking lot , i see a CHICK TRACT.....and it looks like a comic book to a 5 yr old.
It was....

"This was your life".

I read it., and never forgot it., even till today, many years later.

When i was older, im sure that the seed planted by that Tract, helped me find Jesus on the Cross as my Eternal Redeemer.
I still use it when i think to buy more.

There are 2 i would recommend that you can get.

1.) This was your life

2.) Somebody Goofed

Also.

When i was first started to minister, i was also working in the public, non-Christian related.
Where i worked, had 300 employees and was high stress, public relations.
God created a perfect environment for me there to be a "light", by having my final interview be given by a born again Christian who was not really "public",but, was a very strong believer.
As he was interviewing me, he recognized me as "one", and told me....."listen, you have to keep that low key here.....but i understand"""" .
He didnt understand me as well as he thought.
For the next 3 yrs, i was giving away Leather New Testaments/Psalms/Proverbs, in the Business.
I would buy them, then i would set them all up as study NT's, by writing in verses, like a concordance, all over the NT, that showed them how to use this verse with that verse.
I did this to all the bibles. I did this on a Jet once. I had one ready to go and left it.

In this business, i gave away a lot of them. Was a lot of work to get them all turned into study New Testaments.
People would come up to me in this business....>"are you the person who gives away the bibles".
"Yes".
"can i get one please".
"of course". "do you want you name engraved on it".
"OHHHH< Can I HAVE THAT""">>>
"Yes".
I gave one to a girl in the business who was getting married, and leaving the city.
Why not.
What is a better present than a bible that shows you how to understand the verses, and isn't a fake one.
She sent me a card later, and thanked me with "love".
That's perfect, as i had just blessed her with the same......as It'S Gods love in that book, as you know.

So, im now about 25 yrs past that. Do you think they remember me?
I think so, and i think they looked at that bible i gave them as, "this is something".
So, see? That allows God to be a part of them, even if they don't know Him yet.
You can find a way to do something like this also. Find a way to impact the darkness.
Just takes a bit of devotion and effort.

One day i had a employee come up to me....> He was an older Black Gentleman who had worked there for 2 decades. He says........"You're the Priest, right"......"given away all them bibles".
He got one with his name on it.
"George Tolbert".

God is good., Saints.
He'll help you toooo...but you have to be ready. You have to be REAL.
Let Him use you.
There is no better life you can find., and that is God's promise.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

Carol Walker

Apr 18, 2021
Norman
✟19,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can also consider asking if they would like to read scripture in bible study somewhere too, it just depends on what you wanna do you can ask them that they might say yes or no. Just depends.

I do not think arguing or anything will help anything at all.

I believe you're right to a certain extent. Arguing with a person who is uninterested in the Word(other than mocking it) will be fruitless in the end. Debate with someone who is actually curious, on the other hand, could yield some good results. That and a ton of prayer. Asking them if they want to study the Scriptures with you...well that could work, depending on how far you've gotten with them. I have some co-workers who would not be eager to seek out God in any fashion, and all I can do at this stage is let them know of my beliefs. Or at least, that's how it seems.

Upvote 0

Carol Walker

Apr 18, 2021
Norman
✟19,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The thing about putting yourself out there in Public, is that all eyes are now on you, and they will be looking for you to do something that they believe isn't "Christlike".
So, SAINT..... unless you are a strong believer, who can teach "grace through faith", "the gift of Salvation", clearly, and simply, then always count the cost before you "go public", as once you do, you are then become the only JESUS they know, and that responsibility is not a Joke.
If you mess that up, you can send people to hell.
Thats a fact.

Also, when i was about 4-5 ys old, i had already developed pretty advance reading skills.
I was tearing though Comic books before i was in 1st Grade, and im not the only one.
One day, i was with my Mother, it was the summer, and we arrived to the Post office, as this was a once daily event.
As im walking across the parking lot , i see a CHICK TRACT.....and it looks like a comic book to a 5 yr old.
It was....

"This was your life".

I read it., and never forgot it., even till today, many years later.

When i was older, im sure that the seed planted by that Tract, helped me find Jesus on the Cross as my Eternal Redeemer.
I still use it when i think to buy more.

There are 2 i would recommend that you can get.

1.) This was your life

2.) Somebody Goofed

Also.

When i was first started to minister, i was also working in the public, non-Christian related.
Where i worked, had 300 employees and was high stress, public relations.
God created a perfect environment for me there to be a "light", by having my final interview be given by a born again Christian who was not really "public",but, was a very strong believer.
As he was interviewing me, he recognized me as "one", and told me....."listen, you have to keep that low key here.....but i understand"""" .
He didnt understand me as well as he thought.
For the next 3 yrs, i was giving away Leather New Testaments/Psalms/Proverbs, in the Business.
I would buy them, then i would set them all up as study NT's, by writing in verses, like a concordance, all over the NT, that showed them how to use this verse with that verse.
I did this to all the bibles. I did this on a Jet once. I had one ready to go and left it.

In this business, i gave away a lot of them. Was a lot of work to get them all turned into study New Testaments.
People would come up to me in this business....>"are you the person who gives away the bibles".
"Yes".
"can i get one please".
"of course". "do you want you name engraved on it".
"OHHHH< Can I HAVE THAT""">>>
"Yes".
I gave one to a girl in the business who was getting married, and leaving the city.
Why not.
What is a better present than a bible that shows you how to understand the verses, and isn't a fake one.
She sent me a card later, and thanked me with "love".
That's perfect, as i had just blessed her with the same......as It'S Gods love in that book, as you know.

So, im now about 25 yrs past that. Do you think they remember me?
I think so, and i think they looked at that bible i gave them as, "this is something".
So, see? That allows God to be a part of them, even if they don't know Him yet.
You can find a way to do something like this also. Find a way to impact the darkness.
Just takes a bit of devotion and effort.

One day i had a employee come up to me....> He was an older Black Gentleman who had worked there for 2 decades. He says........"You're the Priest, right"......"given away all them bibles".
He got one with his name on it.
"George Tolbert".

God is good., Saints.
He'll help you toooo...but you have to be ready. You have to be REAL.
Let Him use you.
There is no better life you can find., and that is God's promise.

Quick friendly question: what is the difference between a Tract and a "Smile Card"? (I call them that for shortness' sake.)

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Carol WAlker; have debated with other Christians and it gets no where so what is the point. Many people believe that they can win over arguing their point but the thing is that is not how it works. The truth is that is has to be a conviction of the persons heart that leads them to Christ; and that was something that happened to me listening to a pastor on the youtube I was learning from. From hearing the word it got me to question ' Who is this Christ Jesus ' he is talking about, and lead me at the age of 26 years old to look and read the gospels for myself.

Now granted at first I was a smug christians but then I found a new teacher; who taught me what the word meant, what the context was, and what was said.

That changed my whole life up; he always said do not believe me but always go and check the scriptures and see what they have to say.

Always encouraging to go and read the word, and that is something I encourage others to do is check the word.

You can share Christ Jesus with others in approiate ways just do not stress yourself out about

I NEED TO WITNESS TO EVERYONE ALL OF THEM NEED TO HEAR IT to others around you... as believer in Christ we should be respectful of others choices and decisions (UNLESS IT INVOVLES CRIME THAT SHOULD BE REPORTED); but in other choices in life it has been made known that people will not care about God until they are convicted in their heart for the need of Him.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Herbivore Wolf

Jun 19, 2021
Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Carol WAlker; have debated with other Christians and it gets no where so what is the point. Many people believe that they can win over arguing their point but the thing is that is not how it works. The truth is that is has to be a conviction of the persons heart that leads them to Christ; and that was something that happened to me listening to a pastor on the youtube I was learning from. From hearing the word it got me to question ' Who is this Christ Jesus ' he is talking about, and lead me at the age of 26 years old to look and read the gospels for myself.

Now granted at first I was a smug christians but then I found a new teacher; who taught me what the word meant, what the context was, and what was said.

That changed my whole life up; he always said do not believe me but always go and check the scriptures and see what they have to say.

Always encouraging to go and read the word, and that is something I encourage others to do is check the word.

You can share Christ Jesus with others in approiate ways just do not stress yourself out about

I NEED TO WITNESS TO EVERYONE ALL OF THEM NEED TO HEAR IT to others around you... as believer in Christ we should be respectful of others choices and decisions (UNLESS IT INVOVLES CRIME THAT SHOULD BE REPORTED); but in other choices in life it has been made known that people will not care about God until they are convicted in their heart for the need of Him.

So your saying it's more important to witness through deeds, because they won't listen to arguments, let God do the arguing in their hearts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carol Walker

Apr 18, 2021
Norman
✟19,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What what Jesus Christ do, Herbivore Wolf? Would he lash out in anger and call them fools? Would he just take it like when he was beaten and spit on? It is our choice about we react friend.

True, it is about how we react to those who disregard our Christ. I am not suggesting lashing out when I speak of debate. I'm sorry if that's what came across; clearly I needed to be more specific. I'm just talking about having a normal conversation with someone about Jesus. Arguing, for me, simply refers to using logic and reasoning to understand and refute(politely) sinners' ideas of our Lord. I meant no insults.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quick friendly question: what is the difference between a Tract and a "Smile Card"? (I call them that for shortness' sake.)

Same idea.

IMHO, ... Christianity should be treated seriously. The Cross should be treated seriously.
Leading someone to the saving knowledge of Jesus, is the most important thing you can ever do in your entire life, as you are preventing someone from going to hell.
So, literature that pursues this noble goal, should not be a 'joke" or "a funny" , or "giddy", or "silly".

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I get what you're saying, OP, and I can't say you're wrong.
But you never know. Maybe one of those little cards, somewhere, some way, prompted someone to pick up a Bible and start reading, or to accept someone's invitation to a church service. And who knows what might happen from there?

Upvote 0

Herbivore Wolf

Jun 19, 2021
Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get what you're saying, OP, and I can't say you're wrong.
But you never know. Maybe one of those little cards, somewhere, some way, prompted someone to pick up a Bible and start reading, or to accept someone's invitation to a church service. And who knows what might happen from there?
What God does with the clumsy and often downright insulting content of "smile cards", as Carol puts it, is of course His mighty work and His decision. But that doesn't mean the authors of those cards will not be judged for their misrepresentations. For every one person whom Christ was merciful to, placing the Word and the Spirit in their hearts despite the card's flimsy attempts, there are so many more for whom the card only gives them all the more reason to mock and jeer. I know that the Lord may do as He wishes, and can make right what we bungle, but we must give the Word and our witness our best, not rely on Christ to fix what we're doing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rebuking you. You already stated that you agree and you get it. Still, in my opinion, "you never know" only gives credit to God, it can't excuse or save the person who was so flippant with the Truth.

Upvote 0

Herbivore Wolf

Jun 19, 2021
Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Same idea.

IMHO, ... Christianity should be treated seriously. The Cross should be treated seriously.
Leading someone to the saving knowledge of Jesus, is the most important thing you can ever do in your entire life, as you are preventing someone from going to hell.
So, literature that pursues this noble goal, should not be a 'joke" or "a funny" , or "giddy", or "silly".
Yes, that's what I mean. If there are those out there handing out papers or Tracts that take it seriously, instead of trying to explain Christianity and Jesus in a few paragraphs, that I can get. But you can't break down the Cross and our salvation into a two minute soundbyte.

Upvote 0