Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...But as I was searching for a church in my area, I happened upon this one, and at first had no idea what denomination it was. Their affiliation isn't in the name or on the website, so I didn't find out until I'd already decided I liked the place. That was clever of them, and it worked. ...

Some evangelical PC(USA) churches do the same thing -- downplay the denominational affiliation. Like your denomination, ours gets a reputation based on a certain subset, and some congregations have experimented with ways to shake off those connotations.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I come very conservative church. And in some ways I'm a moderate compared to members of my Church mostly because I'm not willing to follow tradition like a lemming and actualy look into whether there is a scriptual basis for it.

Ah, that's where the whole "conservative/liberal" issue gets tricky -- if the tradition you're in does something that lacks a solid scriptural foundation, then going towards scripture makes you a liberal? It gets a little tangled there, eh? :p

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suppose by LC-MS standards I would be considered moderate as I tend to be very conservative on many issues, more liberal than others on some. For instance, the tradition of our liturgy and worship music is very important to me as is the importance of Catechism and continued Biblical and doctrinal education for our young adults.

When it comes to taking the word of our pastor and synod as undisputed truth on certain Scriptural applications not necessary for salvation, I'm not likely to go along in silent acceptance nor will I allow them to be taught to my daughter, especially if it is in any way limiting another's service to God (for which we may have no way of understanding) or to judge them as less worthy than ourselves.

I don't get heartburn about the things I am not willing to embrace without question, but I am not shy about presenting an alternate perspective or unwillingness to accept either. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
...or within your congregation, if your church is non-denominational...

Where are you on the conservative/liberal spectrum?

Is there a wide range of theological perspectives, or do most people of your denomination hold to basically the same positions?

If there are significant differences, how do you as a body work to maintain both unity and truth?

Just some questions to provoke thought... Basically, I hope you'll share a bit about your denomination/tradition and the place of conservatives therein.

My post to follow.

As a Catholic we are to uphold the Traditional teachings [ancient] that have not changed and we must submit fully to the Magisterium teachings of the Church upheld by our Prelates with whom we are told to obey. [scripture states]

We may not always understand the reasons, [although they can be found in the ancient teachings and writings of the early fathers] but we are to, above all other things, be obedient to the choosen men of God.

So we do not have a wide spectrum of various beliefs.
WE just have a wide spectrum of those who choose not to obey and believe. [Within the Church] which does not necessarily reflect the Church, just the certain ideas that some things can be picked and choosen to uphold by a minority who hold to their erroenous beliefs that they can or will change God's Traditions.

Just wanted to demostrate the differences with the Catholic Church. Yet I pray that those who in pride try to justify apostasy, whomsoever they may be...[Catholics for a free choice et al] that Grace may bring others and myself to sanctified humilty and obedience through the Holy Spirit, which leads to a better understanding of the doctrines.

Just my Church... and how I see conservative and liberal.
Thanks for asking. :wave:
EDIT to add; the Catholic Church is very conservative.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, that's where the whole "conservative/liberal" issue gets tricky -- if the tradition you're in does something that lacks a solid scriptural foundation, then going towards scripture makes you a liberal? It gets a little tangled there, eh? :p
Alot of the stuff isn't even scriptiualy based one way or the other we are talking things look at the big picture carperting, firing our secratarty which had to be done and a buch of other stuff that really had no scripitual bearing.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a Catholic we are to uphold the Traditional teachings [ancient] that have not changed and we must submit fully to the Magisterium teachings of the Church upheld by our Prelates with whom we are told to obey. [scripture states]

We may not always understand the reasons, [although they can be found in the ancient teachings and writings of the early fathers] but we are to, above all other things, be obedient to the choosen men of God.

So we do not have a wide spectrum of various beliefs.
WE just have a wide spectrum of those who choose not to obey and believe. [Within the Church] which does not necessarily reflect the Church, just the certain ideas that some things can be picked and choosen to uphold by a minority who hold to their erroenous beliefs that they can or will change God's Traditions.

Just wanted to demostrate the differences with the Catholic Church. Yet I pray that those who in pride try to justify apostasy, whomsoever they may be...[Catholics for a free choice et al] that Grace may bring others and myself to sanctified humilty and obedience through the Holy Spirit, which leads to a better understanding of the doctrines.

Just my Church... and how I see conservative and liberal.
Thanks for asking. :wave:
EDIT to add; the Catholic Church is very conservative.

Although our denominations differ significantly in the role of tradition, there is one similarity: There are official beliefs, even if some vocal members choose not to believe the doctrine or to disregard the standards. So the average person in the pew might be on sort of a wide spectrum, but the church itself has a more precise teaching.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alot of the stuff isn't even scriptiualy based one way or the other we are talking things look at the big picture carperting, firing our secratarty which had to be done and a buch of other stuff that really had no scripitual bearing.

Ah, I see the kind of thing you mean. Sadly, I think that's the sort of stuff that causes most of the problems congregations experience. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Theologically my church is pretty conservative, we beleive the bible as the word of God and such. But really it's not spoken of much, since most people care more about whats important like the teachings of Jesus and loving each other and God. Well, I'd like to think that anyway. :(

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Although our denominations differ significantly in the role of tradition, there is one similarity: There are official beliefs, even if some vocal members choose not to believe the doctrine or to disregard the standards. So the average person in the pew might be on sort of a wide spectrum, but the church itself has a more precise teaching.

As it should be.:thumbsup:
Obedience and love, but not blurring what love means.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Very few people in my church actually aware of different theological positions. I go to a non-denom (atleast for now) even if I'm reformed and it's very conservative. My group of friends don't know what side to take or what is what I try to equip them as much as possible. I think it's sad how churches don't equip their members, not only can they not answer the hard questions the liberals ask but they don't know why they are a part of the church they are at.

Upvote 0