United States of America
✟19,397.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Monday, April 11, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 a.m.

Wisconsin may legalize killing feral cats

By John McCormick

Chicago Tribune

MADISON, Wis. — Fluffy is in the crosshairs in Wisconsin, and cat lovers nationwide are rallying to try to defeat a proposal that could lead to the legalized shooting of stray cats.

Not since an emotional debate in 2000 over the creation of a hunting season for mourning doves has there been so much controversy over the killing of an animal in this state, a place where outdoor traditions run deep.

Death threats have been made against the western Wisconsin firefighter who first proposed that hunters, farmers and others be allowed to kill free-roaming cats to control their population, estimated at a million-plus statewide.

The proposal meets its first formal hurdle this evening, when thousands of people are expected to provide an advisory vote at conservation hearings in each of the state's 72 counties.

Horrified cat lovers and the Wisconsin Humane Society are encouraging opponents to attend the hearings, which traditionally have been dominated by hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.

The proposal — to classify feral cats as an unprotected species — would still need approval from the state Natural Resources Board and Wisconsin lawmakers. A small-game license might be needed to kill a cat, depending on whether they are deemed wild animals or a public nuisance.

A wild or feral cat is typically defined as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior. Wildlife officials say studies suggest they kill millions of songbirds in Wisconsin each year.

For some, the elimination of such cats has long been considered part of the "sportsman's code," a way to protect game birds. Many farmers and rural residents also routinely kill the animals. But shooting a cat is technically illegal in Wisconsin, even if it is harming livestock.

Mark Smith, a La Crosse, Wis., firefighter who traps and hunts, first made the feral-cat proposal after he was angered by cats that prowl around his home's birdfeeder. He did not return a phone call requesting an interview.

Before the proposal reached the statewide level, it was passed on a 53-1 vote a year ago at the La Crosse County hearing of the Conservation Congress, an advisory group to the state Department of Natural Resources.

"We agree that cats don't belong in the wild," said Ted O'Donnell, who has helped organize a Web site and printed T-shirts in support of feral cats. "But this is probably the least progressive way to approach the feral-cat issue."

O'Donnell, a 30-year-old Madison pet-store owner and self-described "cat freak," is one of the leaders of the "Don't Shoot the Cat" movement, an effort that has politely, yet forcefully, taken on one of Wisconsin's most powerful political lobbies: hunters.

Feral cats play an important role in reducing rodent populations, said O'Donnell, who has five cats. He said his group is also encouraging farmers to help spay and neuter cats.

Hunters, especially those who live in the city and don't see as much feral-cat activity, are far from unified.

"It's probably not a good idea, because you don't know if you are shooting someone's pet or a feral cat," said Gary Dallmann, a turkey and deer hunter from Madison.

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

(I originally heard about this story from MSNBC. I found the full story here:)
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002237748_cats11.html

What do y'all think? :confused:

Reactions: BeachBlonde

lovestrav

Mar 17, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is there to say, as a Wisconsinite and cat lover that works closely with my area humane society, I know that there is a problem with feral cats, but hunting them down with a rifle is not going to solve the problem.
People need to work closely with their humane societies to prevent this type of thing in the first place. This firefighter is upset that they prowl around his bird feeder. What alternatives has he tried? He never gives interviews, so we don't know.
Shooting a long haired cat that "looks" feral only to discover that his collar is covered up by his hair and you just shot a 5 year old kids best friend, that's what I foresee as the result of this proposal, nothing but heartache.

Upvote 0

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree with what the above posters have said. This is so sad. :( I hope the legislation does not get passed. What about the trap / neuter option, for example. This is just going to exacerbate the problem of people seeing cats (and animals in general) as expendable -- the "so what, it's only a cat" attitude.

Upvote 0

BeachBlonde

The Hug Reaper is here!
Feb 24, 2005
Idaho
✟18,224.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they need to spend some time re-thinking this solution,it doesn't work safely or really make any sense.until you posted this i had no clue as to Wisc. having this problem.i also can't see trapping as working because then what.another cost is euthanization.how did this happen :( i love cats,this is what happens when kittens are let go of,left to breed,go wild and multiply.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok how's this for a solution

1) All pets must be taged with an ID Chip
2) Unless you a breeder, spay / nuter them
3) Cats found witout being chiped will be given 7-10 Days before being put down
4) Your cat found in someone elses yard, $100 - $1000 Fine.

Keep your pets Indors if you want them to live.

Upvote 0

mycatspice

Love God, love others.
Jan 18, 2005
United States of America
✟19,397.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
BeachBlonde said:
they need to spend some time re-thinking this solution,it doesn't work safely or really make any sense.until you posted this i had no clue as to Wisc. having this problem.i also can't see trapping as working because then what.another cost is euthanization.how did this happen :( i love cats,this is what happens when kittens are let go of,left to breed,go wild and multiply.

I agree. I don't think that Wisconsin will aprove of this proposal though, I think that they will find another way (hopefully) to reduce the feral cat population problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rockrz

Mar 25, 2005
In the Promised Land!
✟672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, we can't let these little critters just run lose and multiply like rats.
It is in the best interest of society for them to be put down.

Otherwise, you're potentially looking at out breaks of rabies in humans, among other types of diseases. People some before animals because we ARE the top of the food chain, and what we say goes!

Society should be protected first, before a bunch of homeless cats!

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lovestrav said:
Rockerz,
Although you have a point, there are more humane ways than opening up a hunting season.
Those more humane practices should be looked at in earnest before we start shooting.

Such as ??

Trapping dont work, neither dose fixing em, People wont keep there pets indors, buess we could just ignore em, and let em wipe out the native bird population.

I do love it when people dont like one solution, but never offer up another workable solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lovestrav

Mar 17, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps you haven't read the thread, I have offered solutions every time this has been posted.

Trapping does work, working with your local humane society does work, creating feral cat colonies does work, spaying and neutering does work.

Should I keep my cattle indoors too, because occasionally they munch on some vegetation that someday someone may deem to need to be protected.

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
Such as ??

Trapping dont work, neither dose fixing em, People wont keep there pets indors, buess we could just ignore em, and let em wipe out the native bird population.

I do love it when people dont like one solution, but never offer up another workable solution.

If people would spay and neuter their pets and keep them indoors there would be less stray cats and the cats would be safer.
There would be more birds because of less free running cats.
I love birds but the stray cats are just trying to survive.
It is never to late to start.
I never let my cats run free.

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Taf said:
I don't think all the cats should be fixed, how do we get kittens then? I don't think it is vary well that you keep your cat inside also, unless you live in a big city with lot's of strays, but still, if you have your cat fixed what can happen? Okay I bet you guys can come up with something.

Well there is always more that don't spay or neuter their pets.
There will always be kittens.
Keeping my cats inside keeps them safe from dogs and also from getting run over.
Getting your pet fixed makes for a much more pleasant pet.
Cats spray and the smell is just awful.
I let my cats go inside my small privacy patio but I never let them in the yard.
They will jump the fence.
This way they can eat a little grass in the safety of a privacy fence.

Anyway the cats that are killing birds set traps for them and get them spayed or neutered.
Then maybe the humane society could adopt some out.
The humane society will help spay or neuter strays in this ares now.
Keeping you cat indoors is more healthy.
I would not want my cats dragging home birds or mice.
Getting every disease in the book.

Upvote 0

mycatspice

Love God, love others.
Jan 18, 2005
United States of America
✟19,397.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Taf said:
I don't think all the cats should be fixed, how do we get kittens then? I don't think it is vary well that you keep your cat inside also, unless you live in a big city with lot's of strays, but still, if you have your cat fixed what can happen? Okay I bet you guys can come up with something.

In my state/county it is illegal to breed a cat w/out a licence. There is an overpopulation of cats nationwide in the USA, and millions are put under because there are not enough famlies to adopt them. Leave the breeding to the breeders.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.