Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can upgrade to Win10 for free. It's a bit heavier than Win7. I like it once you know how to limit its intrusiveness, and have done this on many machines. For my own use though, I switched to Linux three years ago (MX Linux to be precise), and it breathes new life into older hardware.

Yup I agree!

I had to give up video games and Windows desktop == gaming platform. I migrated to Linux on all but my wife's machine. Kubuntu to Fedora 30 with KDE Plasma. It was a learning curve to what works best and what desktop enviroment that best fit me. Now I am really happy with my desktop experience.

Like the burden of keeping my Windows 10 working is gone. I press one button and all my apps are updated. I don't have to restart my computer to apply them and I don't have to worry that the updates my seriously mess with my computers.

Now when I have customers I have to help with Windows 10 systems, it reminds me how unburdened I am lol

Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard that support for Windows 7 is ending in January. Windows 7 users, how did you like Windows 7? What are you doing about any computers you have that use it?

We've been using Windows 7 since we bought our laptop in 2011. I've liked it pretty well, especially all the cool and easy to use personalizing features.

I been using Windows since v3.1 days. Windows 7 was one of the bests versions they made. It dumped the lead weight and ineffecticy that Vista carried. The user interface was much smoother and intuitive than Windows XP.

As I told my customers, Microsoft discovered they were getting left behind with the App store enviroment of smart phones. So they made Windows 8 their ginney pig experiment to start going in that direction. The Metro (start menu with all the tiles) wasn't too bad if you had a touch screen monitor/laptop screen. Windows 8.1 without a touch screen was a drag, tiles were bulky to get access to with a mouse and the Metro can be such a pain to navigate to what you are trying to do.

For this I did respect Windows 10 for fixing that issue with Windows 8. You can have the touch screen tablet experience and you can have the Windows 7 desktop experience for the most part. They made it free to get, which for Microsoft was unheard of. Yet they are desparate to catch up with their competition. Their hopes is that people buy stuff from the MS Store, apps and other media.

They got a bold plan to keep updating Windows 10, but it's an unstable one they haven't mastered yet. More than once an OS update had made files on the computer disappear. Other times when doing an update, it would crash. So you have to unplug it for couple of minutes and have it recover. I do give them props because Win 10 recovers better than other versions. I didn't have to reinstall it as many times I used to in the past with prior versions.

For those going to Windows 8.1, there should be some open source software to give you an Win7 Start menu. Well dang, I guess they stop developing it. Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
Looks like a new crew taken up the Classic Shell project. Welcome to the Home page of Open-Shell-Menu

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Probably going to get a new computer and dual-boot it. My computer is old and AMD has its Zen 2 chips out, the time seems right. Just need to find some motherboards to pick from that are known to be fully functional in Linux.

• Informative
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Windows 7 is nice , actually my updates are turned off the less stuff that company puts inside the better , windows 10 is garbage I simply can't use it there is too much agenda in it for ads and it does what it pleases whenever it pleases to do so sometimes you are in work and it will start updating just because .

How do you turn off updates?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How do you turn off updates?
Windows 7 will not update into Windows 10 via Windows Updates. When Windows 7 stops receiving updates, that means that any new security holes that hackers find will not be patched by Microsoft anymore. Generally speaking, when there's a security fix in Windows Update for Windows or any other software that you run, you want it updated, failure to do so leaves your computer more open to infection than it would otherwise be. On Windows 10, people tend to not want to apply updates right away because they don't always work with the other software that they run, and so there needs to be more time given to work the kinks out. With the exception of issues like these, it's best to keep up to date.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Windows 7 will not update into Windows 10 via Windows Updates. When Windows 7 stops receiving updates, that means that any new security holes that hackers find will not be patched by Microsoft anymore. Generally speaking, when there's a security fix in Windows Update for Windows or any other software that you run, you want it updated, failure to do so leaves your computer more open to infection than it would otherwise be. On Windows 10, people tend to not want to apply updates right away because they don't always work with the other software that they run, and so there needs to be more time given to work the kinks out. With the exception of issues like these, it's best to keep up to date.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Windows 10 is total garbage. If you want a big giant dumbed down smartphone, collects a ton of telemetry, proceed to Windows 10. In technology, often if a product is free, then you are the product.

Else use something like Ubuntu, it actually has pretty good out of the box support for most computers.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums