Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
william_miller.jpg

533102430_42ed58c0ba.jpg

While fumbling through the internet recently, I came across the claim that William Miller was a Freemason. It was part of a now-deleted copy of the Wikipedia entry on Miller stored at Answers.com.

So, what do I make of all this? Does this change anything about my belief that he was led by God? Some of you might think so, but I still believe that God’s hand was with this erring man, William Miller. He was a man of his time used by God for a particular purpose, though at the same time he was oblivious to some of the clear, revealed instructions of God in Scripture. Adventist mythology based on a literalistic reading of Miller has long held that Miller really used only the Bible and Cruden’s Concordance to come to his conclusions. That simply isn’t true. He consulted history books and was informed by other works of interpretation . . . and, whether he wanted to or not, by his Baptist upbringing, (self-)education, and Deist/Masonic literature and colleagues, and other life experiences. I see that God uses flawed individuals with flawed theology and agendas who create flawed movements.

http://progressiveadventism.com/2007/01/26/william-miller-a-freemason/

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
William Miller:

Was He really a Great Reformer?

miller.jpg

woodsquare.gif

William Miller was born in 1782. He began attending school at age 9 and continued until the age of 18, after which he had no further education. He married in 1803 and began farming. As a young man he rejected his Baptist upbringing and became a Deist. Miller became a Freemason and "advanced to the highest degree which the lodges then in the country, or in that region, could confer."1

Conclusion

In studying the results of the life-work of William Miller it is difficult to understand how one could put him in the same league as the great Protestant Reformers. Furthermore, it seems a gross exaggeration to categorize his work with such Bible greats as Elisha and John the Baptist. While Miller may have been sincere in his efforts, his interpretations of the Bible were fanatical and incorrect, and the movement he inspired is now regarded as little more than an unfortunate blemish on Christian history.

http://www.ellenwhiteexposed.com/miller.htm

William Miller was originally a Deist (a person who believes that God created the universe but has not been actively involved since) and a freemason. A freemason believes that good works will get one on the good side of the "Great Architect of the Universe". They think all Religions are equal, including Islam which lies that Jesus didn't even die on a cross. Also, Masons normally will even not allow the holy name of Jesus to be even uttered in their temples.

http://www.bibleprobe.com/SDA.htm

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I knew he was a freemason.

And? Are you assuming I posted this merely for your own personal benefit?

I was aware of this information for years. Doesn't mean there aren't many here who do not know. It was for them that I made the information available. They can do with it what they wish.

What does that have to do with my understanding of the Millerite movement?

I could care less what it does to your understanding. Anyone is free to reject the information or accept it, and only they decide how much it will affect thier image of the man. Some will surely let it have a negative impact, as was clearly shown in an above link.

So were the founding fathers of America all freemasons.

That's debateable.

And this is coming from someone who routinely dismissed conspiracy theories???

There is a huge difference between looking at the historical facts that show Miller was most likely a Freemason and saying Bush unquestionably murdered thousands of innocent victims on 9/11. Give me a break.

Besides, I have nowhere claimed he was a Mason without a doubt. That is why the thread title is worded as a question.

Hardly a conspirator's approach.

BTW, why is it that the two people who vehemently despise Progs, thier forum area and thier views the most (DL and Honor) are the ones who are constantly hanging out in here posting?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Upvote 0