Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
I have willfully sinned and, based on many scriptures, I cannot escape damnation. I know many will respond by saying you deserve it and don’t bother seeking any sympathy; however, I am asking how I should try to live with this torment.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Trust God to be the Good Judge of what He does with you. Don't look for excuses to keep sinning, because you could get much worse.

People can say they have no chance of going to Heaven, and so they might as well sin doing what they please. But they will answer for choosing that.

And God can change you into a different person who loves, instead. The person you are now will be gone.

Forgive others. Forgiving can be very helpful.

Just trust God to decide and don't try to argue and dictate what He does.

God's word is meant not first to judge who goes to hell, but to expose your intentions and to work you to become like Jesus and love like Jesus as family with each other; please do not waste this!!

Are you going to use God's word to condemn yourself so you have an excuse to sin; or are you going to see the warning not to sin, then trust in Jesus to save you and change you into a new person who loves, instead?

Also - - - God's word says judgment has not been committed to you. All judgment has been committed to Jesus who is God's own Son > in John 5:22-23 we have this which Jesus Himself has said >

"For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father." (in John 5:22-23)

Jesus so suffered and died on the cross so we do not go to hell. So, honor Jesus and all He has done for you on the cross; honor Jesus, by trusting Him to genuinely convert you and correct you so you succeed in doing what He has you do.

And do not trust what any unkind feelings and emotions and torment tell you, because that's not Jesus.

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Found the following and agree with the author completely. Been there, friend. And been set free...​

Can believers sin willfully and lose their salvation?​

Whenever I preach on the total forgiveness of our sins and assurance of salvation, someone will say, But Pastor Prince, doesn’t the Bible say in Hebrews 10:26 that if we sin willfully, we can lose our salvation?

Many believers are taught that when they sin deliberately, they are committing what Hebrews 10:26 warns against, and that they can expect God’s “judgment, and fiery indignation” (Heb. 10:27). As a result, these believers become sin-conscious—always mindful and worried about their “willful sins,” and God’s judgment to come. When something bad does happen to them (they blow a tire on the road or contract a disease, for example), they immediately attribute it to God’s judgment of their mistakes. Having this fear and perpetual judgment-consciousness is not how God the Father wants us to live.

I submit to you that almost every sin we commit after being saved (the exceptions being sins we commit unconsciously) is committed willfully. So this can’t be what Hebrews 10:26 is talking about, or we should live each day expecting God’s judgment and fiery indignation! What does it mean, then, to “sin willfully”? Is it something that a believer can do? Well, let’s look at the context of Hebrews 10:26 to find out, and resolve this issue in our hearts once and for all:

For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
—Hebrews 10:26–31

The first thing we need to understand is that the book of Hebrews was written to the Hebrews, or Jewish people (which included believers as well as nonbelievers). Hebrews 10:26, in particular, is addressing Jewish nonbelievers who had heard preaching on Jesus being their Messiah, but who were still going back to the temple to offer animal sacrifices. This was an insult to the Spirit of grace, because they were flatly rejecting the Lord Jesus, Who in His great grace had offered Himself as the perfect and final sacrifice for their sins at Calvary. In addressing these people, the apostle Paul (I believe that he is the writer of the book of Hebrews) compares the imperfect priesthood of the law and its repeated temple sacrifices with the perfect priesthood and once-for-all sacrifice of Christ.

For example, in Hebrews 10:1, you find Paul talking about how the animal sacrifices that the Jews offered continually at the temple could not make them perfect. In contrast Jesus, “after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God. . . . For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified” (Heb. 10:12, 14). Paul goes on to say that because their sins have been remitted through Christ’s one perfect sacrifice, “there is no longer an offering for sin” (Heb. 10:18).

In other words, Paul was telling these Jews that there was no use going back to the temple to offer repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. He was telling them that the Lord Jesus had already become their final sacrifice, putting an end to all temple sacrifices. Can you see how the verses preceding Hebrews 10:26 contrast the imperfect efficacy of the blood of the yearly temple sacrifices to remove sins, and the Lord Jesus’ one perfect sacrifice for sins forever? Paul was showing the Jews what a perfect work our Lord Jesus had accomplished.

I find it astonishing that instead of rejoicing at these faith-assuring Scriptures in Hebrews 10, some believers choose to focus on verses 26 and 27, without understanding the context in which they were written. Clearly, in context, to “sin willfully” is to commit the specific sin of knowing that Jesus is the final sacrifice, and yet choosing not to accept His finished work and turning back to the temple sacrifices. It is not referring to the deliberate sins a believer commits after he or she is saved.

Paul was certainly not addressing genuine believers when he warned about sinning willfully in verse 26. When he writes, “For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,” he is referring to his Jewish brethren who had received “the knowledge of the truth,” but never received this truth (the Lord Jesus and His finished work) into their hearts. They heard the truth about Jesus, but chose not to depend on His perfect offering for their salvation. There is a massive difference between the two.

So Paul was in essence telling these Jews, “When you know the truth and still turn your back on the final sacrifice of Jesus, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.” And in constantly rejecting in their hearts the final sacrifice of Jesus and returning to the offering of animal sacrifices in the temple, they “trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant . . . a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace” (Heb. 10:29).

From the context of Hebrews 10:26, it is clear that this verse is not targeted at believers at all. Genuine believers in Christ cannot commit this sin, simply because they have already believed in Jesus’ sacrifice and put their trust in the Lord’s finished work, and they are certainly not going back to any temple to offer animal sacrifices. The verse does not refer to Christians who are “backsliding” or “going astray”; nor does it refer to Christians who sin in a moment of weakness or temptation.

My friend, don’t let anyone preach this verse out of its context and rob you of your security in Christ today. Just look at how the chapter ends: “But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul” (Heb. 10:39). Paul states clearly that believers are not like those who have rejected the Lord Jesus to their own destruction, but are the ones who have believed and are saved. Read that verse again and truly know this in your heart: as believers, all of us have believed to the saving of our souls for all eternity. Hallelujah!
Does Hebrews 10 have any application today? Yes, Hebrews 10:26 can today be applied to unbelievers who hear the truth of the gospel of grace, and with open eyes turn their backs on our Lord Jesus and the salvation He offers. Just imagine: God offers His salvation and all of His blessings in His hands to someone who, having knowledge of the magnitude of these blessings, slaps His hands away. That is what it means to sin willfully today and insult the Spirit of grace. And for such a person, as long as he keeps rejecting Jesus’ perfect sacrifice and finished work, there no longer remains a sacrifice for his sins. He has rejected the only sacrifice God accepts. In the end this unbeliever will have to face God’s judgment for his rejection of the Lord.

When it comes to judgment and God's children, the Scriptures do say to establish your heart in the security of your salvation in Christ. Read Jesus own words in John 5:24 for yourself: “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment [krisis], but has passed from death into life.” The same word for “judgment” (krisis) used in Hebrews 10:27 is used here in this Scripture regarding believers.
It is clear that we believers will never come into krisis judgment! We have passed from death into life. Today you can have full assurance of salvation in Christ your Savior. Amen!

Joseph Prince, Grace Revolution—Experience the Power to Live Above Defeat (New York: FaithWords, 2015), 72–77.

=====

Conclusion:

Have you ever received Jesus as your personal Savior and Lord? Then you are SEALED with His Holy Spirit of Promise. Have you confessed your sin to Him? Then you have this additional assurance:

1 John 1:9 NIV

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness."

HE cleanses you. It's His promise.

Still don't FEEL clean? Here's the clincher for resolving the doubt once and for all... pray in faith to experience the following PROMISE, and wait in faith. He will answer in spades if you claim it!

Romans 8:16 NIV

"For His Spirit testifies with our Spirit that we are children of God."

When you hear this familiar voice assuring you of your identity, you can have renewed faith that His Voice, Spirit directly to your spirit, trumps all verses that would seem to condemn you. After all, you are hearing from the AUTHOR of Scripture Himself - the Living Word!

God bless.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have willfully sinned and, based on many scriptures, I cannot escape damnation. I know many will respond by saying you deserve it and don’t bother seeking any sympathy; however, I am asking how I should try to live with this torment.

Hey I went through that also when I finally read the bible for myself. But there is hope for you and it is found in a Church history lesson if you'd like to go through it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Fearful, the idea of not being forgiven for a "willful/intentional" sin (verses an unintentional sin done in ignorance) comes from the OT .. e.g. Numbers 15:27-31, but even there we see that God forgave the "penitent" King David (after the prophet Nathan confronted him .. 2 Samuel 12:13) of both of his intentional sins (adultery and murder), and that without an animal sacrifice (or, at least, w/o one that we know of).

We see it again in the Book of Hebrews, but please take note of 1. what the sin that they were guilty of was, precisely, and then 2. how the Greek present tense qualifies the meaning of that sin for us (see in bold below).

Hebrews 10 (NASB)
26 If we ~go on~ sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

This passage was first written about 1st Century Jewish (almost) converts to Christianity. These men and women, who were part of the 1st Century Church, knew ~exactly~ who the Lord Jesus Christ was, but they knowingly/willfully continued in their impenitence, rejecting Him as their Savior, and choosing instead to return to their roots in Judaism.

For them (who both knowingly AND CONTINUALLY rejected the Savior, "trampling underfoot the Son of God, regarding His blood of the covenant as unclean, and insulting the Spirit of grace" .. Hebrews 10:29), all that remained "was a terrifying expectation of judgment" (v27), because in their rejection of the Lord Jesus as their Savior, they were also rejecting the One and only sacrifice that could save them from their sins .. e.g. Hebrews 9:22, 10:4.

So, if you are a believer who has sinned (whether intentionally or unintentionally) and you are contrite (grieved over your sin) and you wish to repent (and be cleansed and forgiven of it), then here is the remedy that you need to apply:

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Then, knowing/trusting that you have indeed been forgiven and cleansed of your sin (because you know that God promised you that He would do so, ~EVEN~ if you don't "feel" like you have been right away/in the moment), get up and get back to your walk in Him/back to fighting the good fight with Him :) as only Satan would want you (or me) to continue to wallow in that which the Lord has just forgiven and cleansed us of :preach:

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - edit: after posting this, I saw that others had said some of the same things that I just did. Sorry about that! @Joseph G and Pastor Prince say it far better than I just did, so be careful to consider and remember all that is said there!

Pink - Grieving Over Sin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @Fearful, the idea of not being forgiven for a "willful/intentional" sin (verses an unintentional sin done in ignorance) comes from the OT .. e.g. Numbers 15:27-31, but even there we see that God forgave the "penitent" King David (after the prophet Nathan confronted him about it .. 2 Samuel 12:13) of both of his intentional sins (adultery and murder), and that without an animal sacrifice (or, at least, w/o one that we know of).

We see it again in the Book of Hebrews, but please take note of 1. what the sin that they were guilty of was, precisely, and then 2. how the Greek present tense qualifies the meaning of that sin for us (see in bold below).

Hebrews 10 (NASB)
26 If we ~go on~ sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

This passage was first written about 1st Century Jewish (almost) converts to Christianity. These men and women, who were part of the 1st Century Church, knew ~exactly~ who the Lord Jesus Christ was, but they knowingly/willfully continued in their impenitence, rejecting Him as their Savior, and choosing instead to return to their roots in Judaism.

For them (who both knowingly AND CONTINUALLY rejected the Savior, "trampling underfoot the Son of God, regarding His blood of the covenant as unclean, and insulting the Spirit of grace" .. Hebrews 10:29), all that remained (for them) was a terrifying expectation of judgment (v27), because in their rejection of the Lord Jesus as their Savior and Lord, they were also rejecting the One and only sacrifice that could save them from their sins .. e.g. Hebrews 9:22, 10:4.

So, if you are a believer who has sinned (whether intentionally or unintentionally) and you are contrite (grieved over your sin) and you wish to repent and be cleansed and forgiven of it, then here is the remedy that you need to apply:

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Then, knowing/trusting that you have indeed been forgiven and cleansed of your sin (because you know that God promised you that He would do so, ~EVEN~ if you don't "feel" like you have been right away/in the moment), get up and get back to your walk with Him/back to fighting the good fight :) (as only Satan would want you to continue to wallow in that which the Lord has just forgiven and cleansed you of :preach:)!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - edit: after posting this, I saw that others had said some of the same things that I just did. Sorry about that!

Hey, always great to be in agreement, brother!

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Christfollower7

Mar 2, 2024
Los Angeles
✟5,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First of all, I want to highly encourage you to share what is it that you sinned at. This is a private forum and no one really is going to know your identity. 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." If the sin is of a sexual nature, please do not go into specific graphic detail...just the gist of the sin you feel is damnable.

That is the best place to start! And as such, there is always a freeing (a cleansing) that comes with confession. The torment will diminish the more you come clean with what it is that you did.

Second, I have been in your shoes more times then I can count! Hebrews 6:4-6 is probably tripping you up. satan just loves to thump Christians over the head with that one! Romans 8:1, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."

2 Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

John 10:28-29, "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand."

Let me ask you this question...what sins did Jesus die on the cross for? Did He die for some sins or all sins? Was His death good enough for any and all sins or just select sins? Either Jesus' death covered all of our sins or His death was not good enough. We have to come to that belief, realization, and acceptance.

Back onto the sin in which you are living in torment with. Yes, God chastises those He loves! It sounds like that is what is happening to you. There is nothing you can share with me, that I have no already heard, and know very well that the person who shared it with me, has been forgiven! I had a brother that shared he murdered two people, went to jail for 20 years, gave his life to Jesus, and was released on parole. God is good! I have had Christian brothers that confessed all sorts of sexual sins...illegal ones at that...forgiven! Backslidden...forgiven! Incest, rape, homosexuality, inappropriate behavior with animals...all forgiven! When Jesus said, "It is finished," this means complete! He means that His death covered all of man's sins there on the cross (past, present, and future).

Romans 7 is a good place to read in a devotional!

Also, look at what the man after God's own heart did (King David)...murder, adultery, counting his army (which lead to 100,000 deaths).

The Bible is full of blunders, failures, looser, saints and sinners!

Lastly, Romans 5:20, "Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." You have some nasty gnarly sin...well guess what...God's grace abounds that much more over you!

Your homework assignment brother...get back into reading God's Word on a daily basis! That is the greatest comfort you will experience! Read Romans, Ephesians, and the Psalms!

Come clean with your sin here. If you don't want to make it public...private message it to me. I will pray with you. I am not sure the phone number policy on these forums, but I would gladly lend you my Google phone number to give me a call, so that I may pray for you and hear you out.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Weakness for pleasure is weakness also for pain!

So, while you do the deliberate sins for pleasure, you can be weak also to suffer torment.

And punishing yourself after a pleasure sin will not work. We need to seek God for real correction. He does not want us to only try to "pay Him off" by guilt-tripping ourselves for some pleasure sin so we can go and do it again.

But get real correction. Then we can love people and care for them in prayer, not just use people for the things and pleasures we want. Love does not have us only using anyone.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin , especially ones that torment us, can only be shed through true repentance, changing one's mind. True repentance can only be accomplished through the power of His Holy Spirit. Ask Him to fill you today!
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Bethlehem57

May 7, 2023
Western Piedmont
✟8,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s not true at all! Seek forgiveness from the Holy Spirit living inside you! We all love you and remember, you are never alone when you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior!

All these brothers and sisters here will lovingly help you with your sin, including me, the worst of all sinners! Remember what all these saints have quoted from the Bible.

God isn’t a liar. He never changes! Isn’t that, in and of itself, enough to know? One day, all these people who are working so desperately and diligently at creating a world government will stand before Holy God. We don’t have a place in that jud of the White Throne! And less they repent, we know that God can’t be moved. Their eternity is damnation!

You aren’t going to join them as long as you repent! With the help of God, you will be successful and share eternity with us! I’m sending prayers right now for you! Lord, please send comfort and strength as only You are able to our dear friend, “Fearful.” We love this saint and You even love the more! How deep is your love! You sent your only Son for all of us who once were filthy sinners! And we know that upon accepting Him as Savior, we are washed in the blood of the Lamb! Lord, assure “Fearful” of your unchanging love and desire for their success in conquering the enemy! In Jesus precious name! Amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums