Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
IF something can't be absolutely true, then it is not true at all. I believe that there is absolute truth and that from my worldview is the only way absolute truth exists. IF your worldview claims that absolute truth is false then your worldview can not be true.

Tell me, do parallel lines cross? Yes? Then we lose geometry on a plane. No? Then we lose geometry on a sphere. If we can't decide on an absolute truth, then we don't have truth at all. Right?

I have to look at the belief behind your argument here and determine that when you claim that logic itself is not absolute and true, your argument then is not absolute or true. It doesn't matter what means you are supplying to argue your point if your point is that logic is not absolute or true. It doesn't matter if something can or can not actualize a contradiction as you have no reason to believe that a contradiction is important when you believe that the laws of logic are not absolute or absolutely true.

It doesn't matter if I think I'm the Buddha. My argument is valid and your only response is an ad hominem.

Ok, I you've answered how but that doesn't provide anything towards your claim that having all knowledge renders logic as trivial and pointless to him? If God is logic how can He be trivial and pointless to Himself?

The purpose of logic is to acquire new knowledge. God cannot do that. Therefore, logic is purposeless to God. What part of this don't you get?

Why not? You are somehow assuming that since the only causality we experience is in the natural world that the natural world is all exists, that natural causality is the only kind because it is the only kind we experience.

You have yet to respond to this graphic:

5314cd6c8a.png

Patterns are not logic. IF you are claiming that logic is not absolutely true,

Even in your worldview, logic is not absolutely true. That is an incoherent notion. Logic is either valid or invalid and pushes forth propositions which are either true or false.

then any logic that you bring forward is not absolutely true.

I'm still waiting for you to prove the law of non-contradiction.

If the logic you use can not be true, I should not conclude your argument is sound or true.

Please show me what true or false logic looks like.

Good point.

OK.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell me, do parallel lines cross? Yes? Then we lose geometry on a plane. No? Then we lose geometry on a sphere. If we can't decide on an absolute truth, then we don't have truth at all. Right?
IF we don't have absolute truth we have nothing at all. If we can't determine truth we can't have rationality.

It doesn't matter if I think I'm the Buddha. My argument is valid and your only response is an ad hominem.
How? I've not claimed anything against you personally. It is your argument and your belief that is being addressed. Maybe you need to have the definition of ad hominem:
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

The purpose of logic is to acquire new knowledge. God cannot do that. Therefore, logic is purposeless to God. What part of this don't you get?
The purpose of logic is rationality. Without logic we couldn't know anything at all let alone acquire new knowledge. Logic is used to determine truth statements. Thinking in a rational way necessitates logic. God's logic/thoughts are purposeful since He has a rational mind.

You have yet to respond to this graphic:

5314cd6c8a.png
According to Godel's incomplete theory systems must have an outside cause.
Premise 1. The universe is a system, thus the universe must have had a cause.
Premise 2. The cause can not be in the system or of the system but outside the system.
Therefore, The universe being a system must have a cause that is not in the system, or of the system and must be outside the system.
Premise 3. The universe is a physical system so that which caused the universe can not be physical.
Premise 4. God is not physical.
Premise 5. God is outside of the system.
Therefore, God caused the universe.

Even in your worldview, logic is not absolutely true. That is an incoherent notion. Logic is either valid or invalid and pushes forth propositions which are either true or false.
If it is not absolutely true, rationality would be futile. If logic wasn't absolute truth could not be known at all.

I'm still waiting for you to prove the law of non-contradiction.
Are you claiming that my position is wrong?

Please show me what true or false logic looks like.
A tree is a tree and not a rock at the same time in the same sense.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't know what you're talking about.

If you don't know that "X" is true then you can't know that "Not X" is false. This is why we must define "X" in order to remain coherent, otherwise we're just talking nonsense.

There is no difference between "X is true" and "Not X is false" but that literally gets us nowhere if we don't define "X". It could be that "X is false" and "Not X is true" but how could we find out if "X" isn't defined?

Earlier you said "Anything follows from a contradiction", but it seems that nothing coherent or true can follow from a contradiction.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
IF we don't have absolute truth we have nothing at all. If we can't determine truth we can't have rationality.

Logical fallacy: appealing to consequence.

Either you think you can be correct while committing a fallacy, or else you disagree that this is a fallacy, or else you didn't know and you will correct yourself now.

Also, you dodged my question.

How? I've not claimed anything against you personally. It is your argument and your belief that is being addressed. Maybe you need to have the definition of ad hominem:
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

OK, let's review:

You said,

I have to look at the belief behind your argument here and determine that when you claim that logic itself is not absolute and true, your argument then is not absolute or true. It doesn't matter what means you are supplying to argue your point if your point is that logic is not absolute or true. It doesn't matter if something can or can not actualize a contradiction as you have no reason to believe that a contradiction is important when you believe that the laws of logic are not absolute or absolutely true.

I replied,

You are literally rejecting my argument because of my beliefs.

Fallacy after fallacy...

The purpose of logic is rationality. Without logic we couldn't know anything at all let alone acquire new knowledge. Logic is used to determine truth statements. Thinking in a rational way necessitates logic. God's logic/thoughts are purposeful since He has a rational mind.

What is the purpose of God performing logic? Is it to "be rational"? What do you mean by that?

To me, being rational means that logic is informing my actions. It means I have to stop and think, "OK, if I do X, then the other guy does Y, and I respond with Z." So are you saying that logic informs God's actions? But he does not need to go through this process because he is already omniscient. Logic does not inform God's actions; his own omniscience does that. So in what sense exactly do you mean God is rational?

According to Godel's incomplete theory systems must have an outside cause.
Premise 1. The universe is a system, thus the universe must have had a cause.
Premise 2. The cause can not be in the system or of the system but outside the system.
Therefore, The universe being a system must have a cause that is not in the system, or of the system and must be outside the system.
Premise 3. The universe is a physical system so that which caused the universe can not be physical.
Premise 4. God is not physical.
Premise 5. God is outside of the system.
Therefore, God caused the universe.

Firstly, it's called the Incompleteness Theorem.

Secondly, it makes no mention of God, the universe, or causality.

So I have no idea where on earth you pulled that first sentence from. I can only assume it's some kind of copy/paste error that was not corrected after you finished composing your argument, because to intentionally type out such words is to be monumentally uninformed on the topic of discussion.

Now let's look at this syllogism. There are quite a few problems with it, but the neat thing about the logic you hold so dear is that I really only need to point out one error to cripple the whole thing. So let's just grant you the first three premises and make the following substitution:

Premise 4. Satan is not physical.
Premise 5. Satan is outside of the system.
Therefore, Satan caused the universe.

Your argument is invalid. You've employed yet another fallacy: non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow from the premises. Just because God is not physical and outside of the system does not mean he caused the universe. Your argument sort of looks like this:

1. Someone with a rocket launcher blew up a train.
2. The person with the rocket launcher was not on the train.
3. Donald Trump was not on the train.
4. Therefore, Donald Trump blew up the train.

Even though your argument was invalid, I appreciate that you tried to respond to my graphic. But you will have to either try again or concede the point. Also, you still have not satisfactorily replied to the question that precipitated it.

Recall I said this:

The form of causality that a carpenter uses to cause a table to exist is NOT the form of causality that brought about the universe. The form of causality that brought about the universe has unknown properties, does not require space or time to operate, and is completely beyond our understanding. In short, we might as well not even refer to it as causality in any way, shape, or form.

And your "response" was this:

What you are saying here is that since we can't know how God brought forth the universe, and since it is not in the same way that the universe and causality work, it is false? Truth is truth and whether or not we can determine it doesn't change the fact that it is true. Now while it might be true that God didn't use the same form of causality as we see in the physical world, which to me makes sense since He is not of the physical world, it is not to say that He could not have caused the universe to exist. This is an assertion on your part.

If it's not the same form of causality that we see in the physical world, I can only assume you will be intellectually honest from now on and refer to it as something else so as to avoid the fallacy of equivocation. Also, I'd really like to know in what sense God's act of creation was similar to the causality we know.

If it is not absolutely true, rationality would be futile. If logic wasn't absolute truth could not be known at all.

Fallacy: appeal to consequence.

Are you claiming that my position is wrong?

Uh... yeah.

Also you dodged yet another question.

A tree is a tree and not a rock at the same time in the same sense.

How does that make logic true? Or was that supposed to be a proof of the law of non-contradiction? I don't know for sure what your intentions were with that, but I can say with confidence that you failed to show whatever it is you were trying to show.

You dodge too many questions. You use so many fallacies that I've lost count. I'm going to start listing questions that you're avoiding at the bottom of posts in enlarged text from now on until you answer them.

Do parallel lines cross?

Prove the law of non-contradiction.

Explain what "true logic" is.

In what sense was God's act of creation similar to the causality that we know?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you don't know that "X" is true then you can't know that "Not X" is false. This is why we must define "X" in order to remain coherent, otherwise we're just talking nonsense.

There is no difference between "X is true" and "Not X is false" but that literally gets us nowhere if we don't define "X". It could be that "X is false" and "Not X is true" but how could we find out if "X" isn't defined?

Earlier you said "Anything follows from a contradiction", but it seems that nothing coherent or true can follow from a contradiction.

If you think that an arbitrary logical statement is "nonsense" and needs to be defined, then you are logically illiterate.

Also you seem to be skeptical about the principle of explosion which is pretty much supposed to be the first thing you learn in Logic 101.

It would be easier to describe a sunset to a blind person than to drudge through the mechanics of logic with you.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It has nothing to do with the chart but has everything to do with the OP theme.

That's great but I don't care. Deviating from a flow chart is like calling "Neither heads nor tails" on a coin toss.

You are painfully trying to defend the notion that God cannot have created us in the state of perfection that we will presumably obtain one day, so that's why we find ourselves on this tangent of logic. But Chriliman doesn't seem to know what he's talking about regardless of the subject.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you think that an arbitrary logical statement is "nonsense" and needs to be defined, then you are logically illiterate.

The statement "arbitrary logical statement" is a contradiction in of itself and the definitions of the words "arbitrary" and "logic" prove this. See below:

"arbitrary" definition: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

"logic" definition: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity

Notice the first word is not based on any reason or system and the second word is based on conducting reasoning according to strict principles of validity.

Logic is not random, it's based on reason, which has meaning, therefore it should never be considered arbitrary. The statement "X is true" is arbitrary because "X" is not defined, it has no meaning, therefore it's not logical, until you define "X", then we can logically determine if it's true.

Also you seem to be skeptical about the principle of explosion which is pretty much supposed to be the first thing you learn in Logic 101.

We should always be willing to question the fundamentals of what we've been taught in order to insure we're not believing a lie.

Reactions: Oncedeceived
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The statement "arbitrary logical statement" is a contradiction in of itself and the definitions of the words "arbitrary" and "logic" prove this. See below:

"arbitrary" definition: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

"logic" definition: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity

Notice the first word is not based on any reason or system and the second word is based on conducting reasoning according to strict principles of validity.

Logic is not random, it's based on reason, which has meaning, therefore it should never be considered arbitrary. The statement "X is true" is arbitrary because "X" is not defined, it has no meaning, therefore it's not logical, until you define "X", then we can logically determine if it's true.

We should always be willing to question the fundamentals of what we've been taught in order to insure we're not believing a lie.

Consider y=5x+2.

What is x? What is y? They are arbitrary numbers. But... how do you have an equation with arbitrary numbers?

I agree that you should question fundamentals of what you've been taught. But you must first be taught. I don't think you've learned any of this stuff on any level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Consider y=5x+2.

What is x? What is y? They are arbitrary numbers. But... how do you have an equation with arbitrary numbers?

This is similar to saying "It's true that X=X", in this case we don't need to know the definition of "X" because it's axiomatic that something will always equal itself.

In the equation y=5x+2, we must know something about either y or x, in order for the equation to have any meaning, otherwise it's nonsensical.

Reactions: Oncedeceived
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Either you think you can be correct while committing a fallacy, or else you disagree that this is a fallacy, or else you didn't know and you will correct yourself now.

OK, let's review:

You said,

I replied,

Fallacy after fallacy...

What is the purpose of God performing logic? Is it to "be rational"? What do you mean by that?

To me, being rational means that logic is informing my actions. It means I have to stop and think, "OK, if I do X, then the other guy does Y, and I respond with Z." So are you saying that logic informs God's actions? But he does not need to go through this process because he is already omniscient. Logic does not inform God's actions; his own omniscience does that. So in what sense exactly do you mean God is rational?

So I have no idea where on earth you pulled that first sentence from. I can only assume it's some kind of copy/paste error that was not corrected after you finished composing your argument, because to intentionally type out such words is to be monumentally uninformed on the topic of discussion.

Now let's look at this syllogism. There are quite a few problems with it, but the neat thing about the logic you hold so dear is that I really only need to point out one error to cripple the whole thing. So let's just grant you the first three premises and make the following substitution:

Your argument is invalid. You've employed yet another fallacy: non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow from the premises. Just because God is not physical and outside of the system does not mean he caused the universe. Your argument sort of looks like this:

Even though your argument was invalid, I appreciate that you tried to respond to my graphic. But you will have to either try again or concede the point. Also, you still have not satisfactorily replied to the question that precipitated it.

Recall I said this:

The form of causality that a carpenter uses to cause a table to exist is NOT the form of causality that brought about the universe. The form of causality that brought about the universe has unknown properties, does not require space or time to operate, and is completely beyond our understanding. In short, we might as well not even refer to it as causality in any way, shape, or form.

What you are saying here is that since we can't know how God brought forth the universe, and since it is not in the same way that the universe and causality work, it is false? Truth is truth and whether or not we can determine it doesn't change the fact that it is true. Now while it might be true that God didn't use the same form of causality as we see in the physical world, which to me makes sense since He is not of the physical world, it is not to say that He could not have caused the universe to exist. This is an assertion on your part.

If it's not the same form of causality that we see in the physical world, I can only assume you will be intellectually honest from now on and refer to it as something else so as to avoid the fallacy of equivocation. Also, I'd really like to know in what sense God's act of creation was similar to the causality we know.

Uh... yeah.

How does that make logic true? Or was that supposed to be a proof of the law of non-contradiction? I don't know for sure what your intentions were with that, but I can say with confidence that you failed to show whatever it is you were trying to show.

You dodge too many questions. You use so many fallacies that I've lost count. I'm going to start listing questions that you're avoiding at the bottom of posts in enlarged text from now on until you answer them.

Do parallel lines cross?

This got posted before I answered so consider this like a double post and go to the responses in the next one.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is similar to saying "It's true that X=X", in this case we don't need to know the definition of "X" because it's axiomatic that something will always equal itself.

In the equation y=5x+2, we must know something about either y or x, in order for the equation to have any meaning, otherwise it's nonsensical.

y=5x+2 is the equation of a line. Any (x,y) coordinate making the equation true lies on the line; conversely, any (x,y) coordinate making the equation false is not on the line. So for example, (0,2) is on the line.

Did you drop out of high school or do you live in a country where they don't teach basic Algebra?

@Oncedeceived, I should ask you the same thing seeing as how you liked his post. Do you also think that the equation y=5x+2 is nonsense, or do you enjoy to give likes to posts espousing ignorance?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
y=5x+2 is the equation of a line. Any (x,y) coordinate making the equation true lies on the line; conversely, any (x,y) coordinate making the equation false is not on the line. So for example, (0,2) is on the line.

Did you drop out of high school or do you live in a country where they don't teach basic Algebra?

@Oncedeceived, I should ask you the same thing seeing as how you liked his post. Do you also think that the equation y=5x+2 is nonsense, or do you enjoy to give likes to posts espousing ignorance?

Okay gotcha, knowing that x and y are coordinates, gives the equation logical meaning. If we don't know they're coordinates then the equation is meaningless.

We still don't know what "X" is in the statement "X is true" therefore the statement remains meaningless and illogical.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay gotcha, knowing that x and y are coordinates, gives the equation logical meaning. If we don't know they're coordinates then the equation is meaningless.

We still don't know what "X" is in the statement "X is true" therefore the statement remains meaningless and illogical.

In what sense would x and y not be coordinates?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In what sense would x and y not be coordinates?

In mathematics x and y can represent any variable, not necissarily coordinates.

You posted an equation without specifying what X and y represented, therefore the equation was meaningless to me. I could have guessed they were coordinates, but how could I know for sure unless you specified it in the beginning or at some point?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are claiming that logic is not absolute, how do you then turn around and claim an error in logic? That is contradiction and that too shows that logic must be absolute. Either there are logical absolutes and absolute truth or your accusation of me being in error can be dismissed just as your claim that there is no absolutes in logic or truth.

It can also be noted that if we do accept that there can be errors in logic, that provides proof that there is absolute logic, which means then I was not using a logical fallacy of appealing to consequence due to the fact that I am stating that truth exists which must be true for you to claim that I am creating a logical error in my logic which self-refutes your argument and the accusation of the fallacy.

No. You made your question irrelevant. If Logic is not absolute then any argument you present is irrelevant.

OK, let's review:

You said,

I replied,

Fallacy after fallacy...

I see where you became confused to my response. I said to look at your beliefs but those beliefs are relative to your entire argument, thus, when I claimed we must look at your belief we must because your argument is that logic is not absolute and truth can't be known. So with that your argument is based upon that belief. It doesn't matter if you are a Christian, a Buddhist or atheist if you believe that there is no absolute truth or absolute logic then that is the belief I am speaking against. So I am not making an ad hominem error because it is not against your personal label but your belief that there is no absolute truths or logic .

No, that is a straw man argument, God's actions are absolute rationality in action. God is logic. Logic is not separate to inform. God's thoughts are absolutely true and absolutely rational in right thought.

^_^ Good catch. Do you agree with this statement:

“Anything you can draw a circle around cannot explain itself without referring to something outside the circle – something you have to assume but cannot prove.”?

Then why did you make mention of God not being omniscient if it has nothing to do with God and causality if it makes no mention of such. You seem to be all over the place...God can't be omniscient because He is bound by logic, but logic is not absolute nor can we know truth but you claim your argument is valid because of logic. And you say I'm incoherent. :scratch:

The Incompleteness Theorem claims that there is always something outside of the set, the set cannot explain itself without referring to something outside the set, something that we have to assume but cannot prove. This should apply to everything, including the universe. There must be something outside of the universe that explains it. Do you disagree, if not why?

Now let's look at this syllogism. There are quite a few problems with it, but the neat thing about the logic you hold so dear is that I really only need to point out one error to cripple the whole thing.
The problem with that statement is that it takes logic being absolute for there to be an error. So your argument self-refutes.

So let's just grant you the first three premises and make the following substitution:

This argument for God is that God is not a created Being and that He is eternal. That is not the case with Satan. Satan can not be the first cause as He was created as we are within the system. He is part of the system and not outside of it. So premise five is false, thus the conclusion is as well.

As I've shown your premises were invalid making your conclusion invalid. What makes my argument valid is that God is actually outside the system. There is nothing that you can substitute to take place of God because God is that one thing we must assume that we can not prove but must be true. God is eternal and outside the system.

Recall I said this:

Just because it is beyond our understanding doesn't negate the reality that the universe had to have a cause. That God is the one thing we must assume that we can not prove would be a valid conclusion.

The universe did not always exist according to scientific research, that means it began to exist. Everything that begins to exist must have a cause. The cause could not be the same form of causality that we see in the physical world as the physical world did not exist.

That is not a fallacy, if logic is not absolute there is no error in logic. Not only that, you are implying that logic is true and valid and that my position is incorrect and false. It is pure rationality that logic is necessary to understand anything at all. The laws of logic are truths about truths. The problem is you are trying to use logic and claiming it is not absolutely true which makes your argument not absolutely true. If it is not absolutely true then it is not presenting truth at all. Either truth has to be absolutely true or it is not true.

Uh... yeah.
How could I be wrong when there is no absolute truth in logic? The most you could reasonably say is that my thinking doesn't match yours. Since no absolute truth exists, your argument is no more valid than any other argument.

I went back to the post and I don't see any question I missed.

You asked: Please show me what true or false logic looks like.
I showed you what true logic looks like.

Fallacies are irrelevant if you claim that logic is not absolute.

Do parallel lines cross?
Depends on what form of mathematics you are using.

You seem to think it is true.
You must use it to argue against it. It is a logical impossibility to claim it is false.

The laws of logic.

It caused something to exist that didn't exist.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's great but I don't care. Deviating from a flow chart is like calling "Neither heads nor tails" on a coin toss.

You are painfully trying to defend the notion that God cannot have created us in the state of perfection that we will presumably obtain one day, so that's why we find ourselves on this tangent of logic. But Chriliman doesn't seem to know what he's talking about regardless of the subject.
This wasn't about Chrillman's post. Did you forget which post you were referring to?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In mathematics x and y can represent any variable, not necissarily coordinates.

You posted an equation without specifying what X and y represented, therefore the equation was meaningless to me. I could have guessed they were coordinates, but how could I know for sure unless you specified it in the beginning or at some point?

Sorry but you simply do not know what you are talking about. Not even a little. We have descended into absurdity. Go get a Christian who actually knows logic and show him or her this conversation. Clearly you are refusing to believe me because I'm an atheist so maybe you'll believe you're drowning in ignorance if a Christian tells you.

Upvote 0