Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this is a good forum for this...

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 7:21

For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 3:13 (Joel 2:32 says And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has said, even among the survivors whom the LORD calls.)

So in one passage, Jesus says that not everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved, but Paul and Joel say that they will be saved. Now, I understand that in Matthew, Jesus was referring to the teachers of the law who claimed to know God but didn't truly follow Him, but it still seems contradictory to me.

Can someone please help explain this to me?

introverteen

Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Spirit
✟46,033.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
This reminds me of when Peter asks if the other disciples will live or die and Jesus says something like what is it to you if John should stay alive until I come back lol.
We are each responsible for keeping ourselves in line with Christ why do we intellectualise everything and quibble amongst ourselves on things beyond us?

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The more we read it becomes very plain.
most call on him but not in heart , they don't follow nor obey him.
if we truly from the heart call on Him, we follow and love the truth.
love his sayings..........then truly we are his.
many love in mouth only
hollering on a sunday but living like sin all other days.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not everyone who says they follow Christ, actually do.

I mean, not all Christians would be a neighbor to a poor person in need, as Jesus said to.

But if you honestly, and truly search for Christ, you will go to Heaven.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not everyone who says they follow Christ, actually do.

I mean, not all Christians would be a neighbor to a poor person in need, as Jesus said to.

But if you honestly, and truly search for Christ, you will go to Heaven.
that wolf looks identical to the wolf huskee hybrid I had years back.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what all of you are saying, and the more I think about it, the more I think I just got confused when I was reading these. It wasn't really contradictory; I think I just got confused and found it to be contradictory because of that. Now that I look at it again better from this view, I understand it better. Thank you.

• Optimistic
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 7:21
:( False professors or people with unsaved hearts. Terrifying concept.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So in one passage, Jesus says that not everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved, but Paul and Joel say that they will be saved.
Maybe someone or many already pointed this out,

but no, Paul and Joel never contradicted Jesus, ever.

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The simple, straight-forward answer is that Jesus was speaking to Jews, the Nation of Israel, the people group. He addressed their profound need to acknowledge Him as Messiah, as that one who fulfilled all the promises to the Hebrew folk.

Paul, on the other hand, is speaking to Gentiles, non-Jews, concerning Salvation by Grace through Faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Remember he religious leaders? Pastors, priests, bishops, scribes, pharisees, saducess,
throughout history
who called on YHWH (GOD), but did not obey Him?

Jesus told His disciples (even the Apostles) to listen to them when they taught TORAH, but not to live like they lived -
rather "beware the leaven of the teachers"
i.e. beware their hypocrisy, because they do not live right, even if they teach TORAH.

This has never changed.

On judgment day, there is no doubt left, no argument given,
no chance for the one who never truthfully repented to be saved from sin --
they are sent away to the lake of fire,
because even if they called JESUS their master (lord, lord), they did not obey Him.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:( False professors or people with unsaved hearts. Terrifying concept.
False professors are the ones that pretty much defy everything Christ said to do (IE Love everyone), but still say they follow his teachings.

People who actually try have nothing to fear, because obviously you can't help everyone.
The thing you gotta do, is just help those you can.
Think global act locale.

Has nothing to do with, maybe you follow, maybe you don't, it's not a crap shoot.
It's pretty straight forward.
If you follow what Jesus said, then you follow. If you don't then you don't follow, and you need to start.
Either way, nothing to fear.
Just follow, it's simple.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
False professors are the ones that pretty much defy everything Christ said to do (IE Love everyone), but still say they follow his teachings.

People who actually try have nothing to fear, because obviously you can't help everyone.
The thing you gotta do, is just help those you can.
Think global act locale.

Has nothing to do with, maybe you follow, maybe you don't, it's not a crap shoot.
It's pretty straight forward.
If you follow what Jesus said, then you follow. If you don't then you don't follow, and you need to start.
Either way, nothing to fear.
Just follow, it's simple.

I'm terrible at following but so afraid of hell and I want to be saved. No more fear and to be loved.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm terrible at following but so afraid of hell and I want to be saved. No more fear and to be loved.
There ain't nothing to following though.
Just do as he said, Love God, and Love everybody else.
Sometimes easier said than done.
It's certainly something you learn to do over time.

You're already loved by God, your fear is rooted in the fact that you don't think you follow sufficiently enough.
Which is kind of interesting, what's the quota you have to fill to sufficiently follow?
How many good deeds do you have to do to follow?
Bible I read says none.
Just simply truly profess Christ as your risen savior, and adhere to his rule of living. Love God and everybody.
And that's it, seems more complex on paper, but it's not.
You don't have to change the world to get into Heaven.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 3:13 (Joel 2:32 says And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has said, even among the survivors whom the LORD calls.)

So in one passage, Jesus says that not everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved, but Paul and Joel say that they will be saved. Now, I understand that in Matthew, Jesus was referring to the teachers of the law who claimed to know God but didn't truly follow Him, but it still seems contradictory to me.

I can help you see it's normal to make 2 mistakes nowadays.

1. Just accepting God is real is salvation

2. Believe is just believing in God

Explanation: First what should be pointed out is the text your referencing that is found in I believe Matthew chapter 7 verse 21 or so doesn't just refer to false prophets but false Christians...because remember some in the text have cast out demons after all. Maybe they have been saved by God but lost focus in their relationship.They aren't maybe living for God or so focused on works they forget about their relationship with God. They simply go to him for works and such rather then because they love him. Notice in the text how when they name reasons they should make it in it's only signs and wonders and nothing about a dedicated prayer life or relationship with God. It's 100% works/wonders they did. They never once say they love him or adore him it's all about them.

Next the word faith stems from the greek word Pistis which means to believe but it also means to... be converted, dedicated, reliable etc. You aren't just saved from believing in God alone the bible reveals this when it says the following.

1. Have you received the holy ghost since you believed?

2. They that believe and are baptized shall be saved

3. Repent for the remission of sins, be baptized in the name of JESUS and ye shall receive the gift of the holy ghost.

Lastly though JESUS tells us the signs of the not just those that believe in God, but those that believe and have responded by repenting, being baptized, receiving the holy spirit.

Mark 16:17-18King James Version (KJV). And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0