Will someone please pass this on to the NFL.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I answered his question in my last post (all politics is local).

That is a nonanswer.

The question was:

"Do you know what percentage of the population is made up by blacks? Do you know why that's important to your argument?"

Truth is elusive, and in this discussion very subjective, so we have to depend on facts and statistics. What we end up with is observations and opinions.

By all means, let us depend on facts and statistics. Answer Iluvatar's questions.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The question was:

"Do you know what percentage of the population is made up by blacks? Do you know why that's important to your argument?"

By all means, let us depend on facts and statistics. Answer Iluvatar's questions.

Sure. Yes, and yes.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sure. Yes, and yes.

Excellent. Do you agree then, that it is not a fact (or a statistic) that "whites are almost TWICE as likely to be killed by police officers."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Excellent. Do you agree then, that it is not a fact (or a statistic) that "whites are almost TWICE as likely to be killed by police officers."

I already conceded that point, in post 29. You're beating a dead horse here.

Actually I don't focus on white crime so much, and I don't like bringing the 'disparities' into the conversation. We're trying to help black people, not white people. It matters little to me that blacks receive longer sentences for the same crimes for example. Disparity is often taken to mean injustice or unfairness, which isn't necessarily so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I already conceded that point, in post 29.

"I see what your saying now."

Hmmm. OK, that's good to know.

So now that we are clear on the facts and statistics, you wanted me to move on to opinion.

It is my opinion that if a 'news source' often makes elementary mistakes in facts and statistics, there are two possibilities:

Their writers and editors are too incompetent to be relied on as a news source.
Their writers and editors are intentionally lying to their readers, and they should not be relied on as a news source.

In both cases, infowars should not be relied on as a news source.

Given infowars' long history of 'mistaken facts' from 'Obama is a Muslim' to Pizzagate, it is my opinion that infowars is intentionally lying to its audience. Sure, an individual reporter might be a 'truther' of some sort, but it is the duty of the editorial board to check facts. They are not. And the slant of their stories shows an agenda with intention behind it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I see what your saying now."

Hmmm. OK, that's good to know.

So now that we are clear on the facts and statistics, you wanted me to move on to opinion.

It is my opinion that if a 'news source' often makes elementary mistakes in facts and statistics, there are two possibilities:

Their writers and editors are too incompetent to be relied on as a news source.
Their writers and editors are intentionally lying to their readers, and they should not be relied on as a news source.

In both cases, infowars should not be relied on as a news source.

Given infowars' long history of 'mistaken facts' from 'Obama is a Muslim' to Pizzagate, it is my opinion that infowars is intentionally lying to its audience. Sure, an individual reporter might be a 'truther' of some sort, but it is the duty of the editorial board to check facts. They are not. And the slant of their stories shows an agenda with intention behind it.

How much of the information in that article is false? The figures he cited are pretty familiar. If you are hanging your argument on the erroneous parsing of police killings of suspects it's a pretty thin thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the players should protest by quitting their jobs.

I think the players are caught between a rock and a hard place, and are trying to show solidarity more than protest, while offending as few as possible. I don't think most of them even understand what's going on.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How much of the information in that article is false?

I have already laid out my opinion for why infowars is automatically untrustworthy. I have better things to do than carefully read articles written by liars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
...Or maybe they could show solidarity by beating referees down when they throw a flag.

Referees are kind of like cops, right?
NFL players are like cops too. They will stick together even when they are in the wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0