Will marriage relationships persist after the resurrection?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so.

Firstly, English Standard Version, Luke 20:
35 but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage
The Greek words for "marry" and "given in marriage" are in the present tense, not the future tense. The present tense shows 'a state of persistence.' People will not be in a persistent state of marriage after death (1 Corinthians 7:39).

Secondly, the Sadducees raised a practical question in Matthew 22:
28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”
If you think that the marriage relationship extends to after the resurrection, how would you answer this question?

Finally, after the resurrection, we are married to Christ, not our earth spouse who was only a shadow of the true type of marriage in heaven.

These are 3 reasons for not extending the earthly marriage relationships onto heaven.

RevealedTruths

May 28, 2022
London
✟25,199.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not true by any means. Jesus wasn't speaking about marriage in general being non-existent, but only about levirate marriage, which is based on the necessity to quickily propagate in a mortal world. Marriage among humans is NOT just some temporary shadow or placeholder to prepare us for the relationship with God and Christ, it's the direct image of this relationship. The concepts of marriage and family are the main concepts of God, and to say that they are going to disappear in the world to come is effectively saying that humans will stop being made in God's image.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't think so.

Firstly, English Standard Version, Luke 20:

The Greek words for "marry" and "given in marriage" are in the present tense, not the future tense. The present tense shows 'a state of persistence.' People will not be in a persistent state of marriage after death (1 Corinthians 7:39).

Secondly, the Sadducees raised a practical question in Matthew 22:

If you think that the marriage relationship extends to after the resurrection, how would you answer this question?

Finally, after the resurrection, we are married to Christ, not our earth spouse who was only a shadow of the true type of marriage in heaven.

These are 3 reasons for not extending the earthly marriage relationships onto heaven.
Yes, it also says in the Bible
NABRE
At the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like the angels in heaven.

This verse seems to acknowledge that there will no longer be a need for marriage as we will no longer procreate but live on as spiritual beings. I believe marriage is a requirement of a stable family unit but once the resurrection and judgment take place, we will all be treated as individuals. Now, will we still be acquainted with our former spouses, children, or others we had personal relationships with? I don't think there is a clears answer in the Bible about that question but certainly, it seems to indicate that marriage is a legal contract and not so much of a spiritual contract like out relationship with The Messiah.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not here to argue or try to convince anyone that marriage and family WILL exist on the New Earth. I'm here to give a testimony about it, a testimony that can only be either accepted or rejected.

If so, how would you reconcile that to Matthew 22? Marital relationships on Earth do not persist in the afterlife, but it is conceivable there could be something similar then. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

You can reasonably infer that there will be no such relationships in Badplace because everyone will be too busy being tormented for all eternity to engage in any such relationship.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it also says in the Bible
NABRE
At the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like the angels in heaven.

This verse seems to acknowledge that there will no longer be a need for marriage as we will no longer procreate but live on as spiritual beings. I believe marriage is a requirement of a stable family unit but once the resurrection and judgment take place, we will all be treated as individuals. Now, will we still be acquainted with our former spouses, children, or others we had personal relationships with? I don't think there is a clears answer in the Bible about that question but certainly, it seems to indicate that marriage is a legal contract and not so much of a spiritual contract like out relationship with The Messiah.
In the Eastern Orthodox church, marriage is NOT a legal contract. Instead it is a reflection of the heavenly and eternal marriage between Christ and His Bride the church. Christ says that we won't be given in marriage, but my children would still be my children (at least in love) in heaven. My parents will still be my parents (in love) in heaven. As St. John Chrysostom wrote to a young widow

For such is the power of love: it embraces, and unites, and fastens together not only those who are present, and near, and visible, but also those who are far distant. And neither length of time, nor separation in space, nor anything else of that kind, can break up and divide in pieces the affection of the soul. But if you wish to behold him face to face (for this I know is what you especially long for), keep your bed in his honor sacred from the touch of any other man. And do your best to manifest a life like his, and then assuredly you will depart one day to join the same company with him, not to dwell with him for five years as you did here, or for twenty or a hundred, or for a thousand years, or twice that number, but for infinite and endless ages.​
In the Orthodox wedding, the couple does not say anything and there is no "til death do you part". For what is death but a passing into eternal life? We wear wedding crowns which represent both a new earthly kingdom of family but also the crowns of martyrdom, for marriage is a form of martyrdom. We sacrifice our own will and body to that of our spouse. At the end of the sacrament, the priest declares, “Receive their crowns into Thy kingdom, preserving them spotless, blameless, and without reproach, unto ages of ages.”

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In the Eastern Orthodox church, marriage is NOT a legal contract. Instead it is a reflection of the heavenly and eternal marriage between Christ and His Bride the church. Christ says that we won't be given in marriage, but my children would still be my children (at least in love) in heaven. My parents will still be my parents (in love) in heaven. As St. John Chrysostom wrote to a young widow

For such is the power of love: it embraces, and unites, and fastens together not only those who are present, and near, and visible, but also those who are far distant. And neither length of time, nor separation in space, nor anything else of that kind, can break up and divide in pieces the affection of the soul. But if you wish to behold him face to face (for this I know is what you especially long for), keep your bed in his honor sacred from the touch of any other man. And do your best to manifest a life like his, and then assuredly you will depart one day to join the same company with him, not to dwell with him for five years as you did here, or for twenty or a hundred, or for a thousand years, or twice that number, but for infinite and endless ages.​
In the Orthodox wedding, the couple does not say anything and there is no "til death do you part". For what is death but a passing into eternal life? We wear wedding crowns which represent both a new earthly kingdom of family but also the crowns of martyrdom, for marriage is a form of martyrdom. We sacrifice our own will and body to that of our spouse. At the end of the sacrament, the priest declares, “Receive their crowns into Thy kingdom, preserving them spotless, blameless, and without reproach, unto ages of ages.”
A beautiful sentiment but I don't see in mention of husband and wife in this post. I do see parents and children which is a biological bond but no mention of a scripture that states a man and woman are given in marriage for their eternal life. Though I don't think that marriage is an eternal bond due to the complications of widowhood and divorce, it is still a nice thought for a couple getting married. If I were married, I would certainly hope that our relationship would continue after the resurrection. I just wonder if when we are resurrected, will we have the need for our "plumbing" which would allow for sexual activity and the need to relieve one's self. I don't think there is a clear picture of what our spiritual bodies will be made up of during our eternal life. Still, I personally like the idea of eternal marriage. I was engaged one but my fiancee' passed away before we able to conduct a ceremony. I certainly hope that I will see her once again as I would wish to see all of my loved ones again.

Upvote 0