Will humans eventually be an ascendant of another species...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Do you have a source(preferably a web source) you can provide for this evidence?

Thanks for your help!

Here is a visual
http://www.theistic-evolution.com/pages5455.jpg

Here are a couple of other sites which describe hominid fossils in chronological order so you can follow the development of various characteristics--including cultural in the first listing.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium/1381/index.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/specimen.html

You can easily find plenty more by googling "hominid evolution"

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All we can say for certain is that when the fossils are placed in the chronological order indicated by their stratigraphy, we see a gradation from ancestral ape to modern human characteristics.

Thanks again for your help gluadys. :wave:

However, I was looking for the specific stratigraph evidence.

In other words, were these fossils actually found in the "correct layer". Forgive me for my unscientific terminology. Or are these fossils being found "all over the place" and then "placed" in the correct order to fit the theory as many literal creationists claim?

Know what I'm trying to say/ask?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Thanks again for your help gluadys. :wave:

However, I was looking for the specific stratigraph evidence.

In other words, were these fossils actually found in the "correct layer". Forgive me for my unscientific terminology. Or are these fossils being found "all over the place" and then "placed" in the correct order to fit the theory as many literal creationists claim?

Know what I'm trying to say/ask?

Thanks again.

No, it is not the case that the fossils are being deliberately arranged in an "acceptable" order. That is an outright lie.

Read the second two links I gave you. They provide the actual dating of each fossil discussed. They are listed in the order of the dating as determined by dating tests, not in the order of prior assumed evolutionary trends.

In fact, one of the reasons for the original reluctance to acknowledge the Taung child discovered by Dr. Raymond Dart was that it did not fit the preconceived evolutionary trend assumed in 1924. At that time, people still thought Piltdown Man was a legitimate find and were looking for skulls which showed large brains with ape-like jaws. The Taung child showed the reverse, human jaw and facial characteristics with a small brain capacity.

But evidence won out over pre-conceptions, especially as more fossils were found, and of course, another 30 years later it was shown that Piltdown Man was not a legitimate find at all.

All other fossils in the human lineage have followed the same trend: first bipedalism and erect stature, accompanied by a more human jaw and dental structure, and only relatively recently the emergence of a large brain.

For still more specific information, you would have to go to the original article as published in the relevant scientific journals. Little of this is on-line, and even that is not usually free. So it would be a matter of checking via university libraries. These reports would give details on the actual evidence and methods used in dating the fossils.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another great question with perhaps a somewhat unsatisfying response.

To directly answer your question, in terms of human ancestors, you're quite right that they're found all over the place and therefore not immediately datable using depth alone. Each find is dated uniquely using a combination of radiometric techniques, knowledge of the geographical area and index fossils. For example, if a lava flow that is dated very accurately falls in the same layers as a fossil which lies ten miles away the continuity of the strata can be used to help date the fossil.

Index fossils are somewhat less applicable to hominid finds, but they are very relevant to counter the claim that fossils are simply placed in order according to presuppositions.

fromhttp://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/glossary/IndexFossils.shtml
* Ammonites were common during the Mesozoic Era (245 to 65 mya), They were not found after the Cretaceous period, as they went extinct during the K-T extinction (65 mya).
* Brachiopods (mollusk-like marine animals) appeared during the Cambrian (540 to 500 mya); some examples still survive.
* Graptolites (widespread colonial marine hemichordates) that lived from the Cambrian period (roughly 540 to 505 million years ago) to the early to mid-Carboniferous (360 to 320 million years ago).
* Nanofossils are microscopic fossils (the remains of calcareous nannoplankton, coccolithophores) from various eras. Nanofossils are very abundant, widely distributed geographically, and time-specific, because of their high evolutionary rates. There are enormous numbers of useful nanofossils, including radiolarians and foraminifera. Nanofossils are the primary method of dating marine sediments.
* Trilobites were common during the Paleozoic Era (540 to 245 mya); about half of the Paleozoic fossils are trilobites. They evolved at the beginning of the Paleozoic Era and went extinct during the late Permian period (248 million years ago).
If an Ammonite is EVER found in an older strata than a Trilobite, the current understanding of evolution would be disproved. There are rare occasions where Plate Tectonics has folded the geologic column but this is very obvious and has been well-documented. You'll never find index fossils out of place without the effects of plate tectonics. Again, this is extremely rare, but when it does happen it's obvious -- if you'd like to discuss a specific occurance you're wondering about, you might start a new thread.

Since these index fossils (and there are literally thousands of them) are never out of order (ever) it leads to the conclusion of evolution not some pseudo-random sorting by a proposed flood. When hominid fossils are found in the same strata as index fossils or even previously dated fossils, it gives a clue as to the date of the fossils.

I'm not a historical anthropological expert, but I'm not aware of any place where major hominid species have been found directly on top of each other. You will NOT, however, find hominid fossils in layers "supposed' to be older than dinosaurs -- such a find would instantly and irrevocably destroy the conclusions of common ancestry if it were shown that there is no geological folding in the region.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to assume that the first humans had a physical "trait" that was different from "its" parents?
In other words, is this a wrong assumption...
A male and female "prehuman" gave birth to a human.
Only in as much as if you are human then your parents are "pre-human".

Only in X-men comics and some creationist lectures do parents suddenly give birth to people with laser beam eyes and cats give birth to dogs.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe we have evolved already. 60k yrs ago, we were all dark like africans, look at how far we have changed in that time. Even today we see people are living longer, and people are larger(like taller and more filled out) which suggests that our good source of food is helping us change again. I think :p

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Welcome Zilam.

While it is true that access to good nutrition tends to result in taller, heavier bodies, that is not necessarily an evolutionary change. The question is: does this change the genetic make-up of the individual? Without a change at the genetic level, there is no possibility for evolution. In general, environmental influences on a living person do not change the genetic make-up, so there is no genetic variation to pass on to one's offspring.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.