Will business law be challenging for me to handle, politically?

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am going back to school to take some classes and business law is one of the required ones.

About 8 years ago I did take one - but at that time I was more oblivious to what constituted left/right wing and liberal/conservative and all that, but now that I'm more informed about all those things, I wonder if this class will have certain biases or not or whether it will be OK:| I really don't know, I may be paranoid, lol.

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Depends what school you go to? Your teacher does teach with his/her pressupositions.
my area of study will be accounting at the local community college. so I don't know what slant the teacher will have and I'm worried about seeing conflicting ideas in the textbooks or if they ask us to write our opinion on a case...eeeeeeek.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
my area of study will be accounting at the local community college. so I don't know what slant the teacher will have and I'm worried about seeing conflicting ideas in the textbooks or if they ask us to write our opinion on a case...eeeeeeek.

I've been in college for 5 years now. Even my engineering professors bashed christianity and "religion." So if it happened in engineering I would say it would happen anywhere considering there is no reason for my professors to be discussing social and philosophical issues.

I don't understand the problem if there is conflicting ideas in textbooks. You ignore them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been in college for 5 years now. Even my engineering professors bashed christianity and "religion." So if it happened in engineering I would say it would happen anywhere considering there is no reason for my professors to be discussing social and philosophical issues.

I don't understand the problem if there is conflicting ideas in textbooks. You ignore them?
I'd have to ignore them lol, I'd be worrying about the prof grading me down b/c of a different political view, I hope that doesn't happen - maybe there won't be that much politics in this? I'll see.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I'd have to ignore them lol, I'd be worrying about the prof grading me down b/c of a different political view, I hope that doesn't happen - maybe there won't be that much politics in this? I'll see.
Eh, I had minor problems in my sociology general elective classes with this. One of my teachers gave notes and said that abortion gives women the freedom they all need. She then asked a question pertaining to this in the exam. I responded in the test "according to my professor abortion gives women the freedom they all need." I wanted to write...NOT at the end but I decided not to.

One of my bio teachers actually made a power point with preachers that "take womens rights away." She had a picture of Dubson up. It happens. It's sad but it happens.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am going back to school to take some classes and business law is one of the required ones.

About 8 years ago I did take one - but at that time I was more oblivious to what constituted left/right wing and liberal/conservative and all that, but now that I'm more informed about all those things, I wonder if this class will have certain biases or not or whether it will be OK:| I really don't know, I may be paranoid, lol.

I looked over a couple of Business Law course syllabi for different schools. Some of them are more focused than others. Some of them seem to try to cover almost everything a three year JD program would cover in a semester. To my mind, a class that broad is just useless, because you don't get any depth and you'll forget it all anyway.

Most of the stuff for contracts should be pretty neutral. You might find some of the principles of contract law kind of strange, but that strangeness doesn't follow a liberal/conservative divide. Same thing for most torts except for strict product liability, which generally causes class wide arguments.

The subject that I think might cause the most discomfort is employment discrimination law. Depending on the law of your state, you may very well disagree with what the law is. My state, for example, makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. In addition, instructors sometimes will cross the line between what the law is and what the law should be (in their opinion, of course :D). I suggest ignoring these arguments for the most part and just learn what the law is so you can regurgitate it on the final.

I think most "business law" courses are a waste of time. They try to cover too much too superficially. If there is a way you can take a course that is more focused on just one area of law--something like sales of goods or commercial paper or security interests--I would strongly urge you to take that rather than a broad survey.

Upvote 0

green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Since I assume you're going into a business program of some sort, I suspect you'll be learning about things like partnerships, corporations, contracts, legal documents of various sorts and the like. That was what I had in both my business law classes I took when I got my accounting degree.

The classroom discussion may become political, but what I recall the most was how confused I was over what are known as negotible instruments--the stuff the TARP program was designed to deal with with the credit markets collapsing. I'd just get it figured out and someone would ask a question and the profession would change the answer. Other than that, it's pretty dull stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The classroom discussion may become political, but what I recall the most was how confused I was over what are known as negotible instruments--the stuff the TARP program was designed to deal with with the credit markets collapsing. I'd just get it figured out and someone would ask a question and the profession would change the answer. Other than that, it's pretty dull stuff.

Negotiable instruments are hard, so don't feel bad about it.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Our faith gives us a framework within which we can assess any area of life, including law. It's more a matter of how well founded your belief systems is, particularly how well informed and robust your world view is.

My son is a judge and a committed Christian.

John
NZ

Upvote 0