Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm not going to fight anyone over this, Tom, but maybe Ragged Robin is right about this. The term doesn't mean, does it, that Jesus paid something to the devil or any other of the unusual theories that sometimes come up, just that his death justified men who could not be saved by the Law. That's a substitution.

It's not the hugest issue in the world and by no means do i want to derail this thread to atonement theories. I see where you are coming from Albion and RaggedRobin and in a technical sense you might be right (though i do say many brothers and sisters far more intelligent than i could argue against that point), but in any books you read which may refer to atonement the phrase 'substitutionary atonement' near exclusively refers to one specific theory of atonement which is mainly is mainly found in Protestant theology.

If you are trying to find some common theological ground then i fear that making such limitations to a belief in some sort of substitutionary atonement will limit the number of members allowed to post here who have a perfectly valid claim to be a conservative Christian.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not the hugest issue in the world and by no means do i want to derail this thread to atonement theories. I see where you are coming from Albion and RaggedRobin and in a technical sense you might be right (though i do say many brothers and sisters far more intelligent than i could argue against that point), but in any books you read which may refer to atonement the phrase 'substitutionary atonement' near exclusively refers to one specific theory of atonement which is mainly is mainly found in Protestant theology.

If you are trying to find some common theological ground then i fear that making such limitations to a belief in some sort of substitutionary atonement will limit the number of members allowed to post here who have a perfectly valid claim to be a conservative Christian.
Well I didn't know that I was just going by the definition and I figured that it meant that or at least that is how I see it i don't mean ot say anything negative though and hope I am not out of line with the Church when I do but then again I am not flawless either

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally haven't come to a conclusion yet but there have been been a huge variety of atonement theories proposed throughout history. Substitutionary atonement is just one.

Well, I have heard a few but could you give me some examples. I am not sure we are on the same page. To me, the Substitution Atonement is so clear from Genesis to Revelations that it is difficult for me to see anything else. I will have to say that line is so important to me that I would likely withdraw from the Congregation if it is removed and replaced with something else. I will give you a chance to convince me of other possible meanings, however.

Lisa

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
There's quite a few here are the core ones.

Ransom theory says that Adams sin placed the world in the hands of the devil. God agreed to 'buy back' the world from the devil by agreeing to let his son die. The devil agreed thinking that for all eternity he would control Jesus, but after three days through the power of God Jesus rose from the dead.

Moral theory says that Jesus death was largely an example by God to all creation, where we could see how Christ lived and died and become inspired to work our way out of sin and develop a deep relationship with God.

Acceptance theory says that Jesus death was a sort of token gesture to God. As Jesus was a finite being his death couldn't cover all human sin, but God chose to accept his death Jesus sacrifice as all of our punishment.

Satisfaction theory is the belief the death of Jesus satisfies Gods wrath in the same style of the animal sacrifices in the old testament. Similar to ransom theory but here the price is paid to God rather than the devil. Substitution theory was adapted from this.

There's a few others as well.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
The point i'm making Lisa is not to deny substituionary atonement as in my mind the whole issue is a mystery. CS Lewis puts it best.

"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself."

That is what needs to be the hallmark here.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point i'm making Lisa is not to deny substituionary atonement as in my mind the whole issue is a mystery. CS Lewis puts it best.

"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself."

That is what needs to be the hallmark here.

Okay, thanks for that. I was aware of the "Jesus as an example" one and the "ransom" one. While I could live with Ransom and Satisfaction, I could not live with Example and Acceptance. Those are just not Bibical.

Another one that is out there is the Universalist position in which ALL men were saved at the moment of Jesus' death. Another one that I cannot agree with.

Could we say that we are Redeemed by the Blood of Christ?
Lisa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not wiki-ing it. One of y'all go wiki it. I am SCARED of wiki!:help:

Lisa
Ok but it has to wait until tomorrow I am going offline for tonight

Love and Blessings to you all
Debi

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm going with Talitha revise version. I firmly believe that including anything about traditional belief is just going to increase problems here both by making discussions more diffcult and creating a huge number of post being reported to the mods where nothing can be done because traditionaly the 2 groups disagree.
Thanks for this CP! And thanks for voting with the girls! LOL~! I think I'll go and find colabomb and see if he'll vote now, lol!

Albion, thanks for saying you like me, that makes me feel as good as Sally Fields!

but this......
Who would not say that their view is that the Truth exists completely outside of our understanding of it. (?)

Almost no one.
Have you watched TV lately, or spoken with any children - this is what's blasted over the media and taught in the schools: truth is relative, what's true for me may not be true for you, blah, blah.....
ewwww :doh:

I noted with disappointment that Talitha herself accepted this line of thought as correct in that the Bible was mentioned. Just that. It's true that the Bible is truth not dependent upon our understanding, but every interpretation of it that is a personal opinion IS RELATIVE.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here, Albion.

Yep, I voted for Talitha's, but I would prefer a blended statement myself.

I don't think that that will be up for consideration.
Who says? :scratch:

By contrast, what the church has always believed can be proven or disproven.
But Albion, you don't want to permit this kind of examination, right?

The idea of always is off-putting, but we shouldn't forget that since the Reformation, none of the ideas we are likely to debate can claim an "always" by tradition. It would only be the ones on which Christianity has always been united that would fall under the rule, like the oneness of God or the idea of salvation by grace or the observance of the Lord's Supper.
AMEN!

[/color][/font][/size][/font][/indent]...to say that God reveals his truth "progressively in the Church" implies that Scripture is not the complete revelation of God to man.

Consider (posting in KJV out of respect for you):
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. (Romans 8:19)

[/indent]This also has the same implication. I would suggest:

Conservative Christianity is defined by its allegiance to the Holy Scriptures and the traditional beliefs and teachings of the Christian Church on issues of theology and morality. Central to this worldview is the belief that Truth exists objectively and independently of our perception. Truth is unchanging and absolute. God is Truth. He has revealed His Truth in the Holy Bible alone.​
[/quote]
The "traditional beliefs and teachings of the Christian Church" are going to differ according to whether each person is Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Baptist, or whatever.

Cool It's just our Wiki says Fundamentalists aren't permitted to debate here... cos this isn't a Fundamentalist forum. It just causes arguments, ya know? Yesterday was *bad* and it upset a lot of people n stuff
((((((GreenMunchkin)))))) it was *bad*, you are right...... but Fundamentalists really do belong here - they are part of the 'conservative' description. It's WWMC for the Other Side.......

Maybe, add a line something like, "recognizing the beauty of traditions but testing all by Scripture"
Lisa
:clap:

What is needed is a minimal statement of what it means to be a conservative Christian. If you (RCC) and I (evangelical) are both conservatives then neither sola scriptura nor Tradition define what it is to be a conservative Christian.
That was my point in bringing up this whole issue! Thanks, AV!

AV said:
I would ask you to agree with me that a conservative Christian affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
  1. The doctrine of the Trinity
  2. The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
  3. The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
  4. The resurrection of saints to life eternal
  5. The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
  6. The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
Now shock horror these are the fundamentals of the Christian faith i.e. without these Christianity is not Christianity.
AGREED - except taht I'm with TomUK on this:
I think i would question substiutionary atonement as necessary to be a conservative Christian.
I think this would exclude Eastern Orthodox, who are, I believe QUITE conservative in general...... maybe more conservative than Roman Catholics and Fundamentalist Baptists.......

Anyone who believes in the Bible-based faith that we cherish and continue to hold to against the innovations of liberal society should be here!
:amen:

GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE! :swoon: I think I'm caught up now!

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I would ask you to agree with me that a conservative Christian affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
  1. The doctrine of the Trinity
  2. The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
  3. The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
  4. The resurrection of saints to life eternal
  5. The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
  6. The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
Now shock horror these are the fundamentals of the Christian faith i.e. without these Christianity is not Christianity.
Well, I consider myself a theological moderate and I agree with these. And I like Talitha's version. But I won't vote in the poll since I can't honestly call myself a conservative... but perhaps I'm enough of one to toss my two cents in here. :wave:

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I personally haven't come to a conclusion yet but there have been been a huge variety of atonement theories proposed throughout history. Substitutionary atonement is just one.

You are correct that there have been a number of theories but only substitutionary atonement does justice to the language of Scripture.

Helps
1. Read Isaiah 53:3-6 "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

2. http://piercedforourtransgressions.com/ which is stocked by Amazon

3. http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Atonement/Penal-Substitutionary-Atonment/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
So, AV, you wouldn't consider our EO brothers and sisters to be conservative??!!

I am sure that there are EO who are conservative but what does that refer to? Hence the need either for a minimalistic statement in which all agree or one statment made up of different definitions and which members can sign up to one of them. i.e. "A conservative Christian is someone who believes definition A, definition B or Definition C."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here, Albion.

I've tried to put it properly before, but I do know that this is hard to both explain and--for others--to appreciate. So here goes another attempt.

What is a conservative? By definition, he is one who conserves. He does not reject what has been accepted for ages (and is important enough to consider conserving, e.g. the Constitution or redwoods or old cathedrals and castles, not necessarily paint with lead in it or steel beer cans). If one isn't into preserving something of value, he can't be a conservative, plain and simple.

When it comes to truth, it gets harder to explain to people. To say that you are going to stand by the Bible is fine, that's conservative by nature, BUT if you put a new twist on it, how does that amount to preserving the Bible? Well, it doesn't. We aren't talking about preserving the pages of the Book, you know, it's about perpetuating the beliefs based upon those scriptures.

So, let's take an example. Mr. Smith here who calls himself a conservative because he says he believes in the Bible, argues that it teaches that Jesus was not God incarnate.

IS THAT A CONSERVATIVE ANSWER OR NOT? We don't care if Mr. Smith is a Conservative on every other issue; is this particular POV conservative?

How would one know? Well, we could have a big argument with some people trying to use some verses to prove the deity of Jesus, facing off against Smith's supporters.

But that isn't going to show who is conservative and who is not, or which argument is conservative or which is not. This would only show who is right about the nature of Christ.

The conservative position is clear cut. There is no doubt. There is really no arguing it, although people will.

But you may say (because plenty of other have) that either side taking the conservative view since they say that they are basing what they say on the Bible.

Yes, but what they say about the Bible's meaning makes the difference. The one who sides with what the Christians of almost 2000 years, almost without exception, have said...is the conservative in this debate, like it or not. That side is conserving a position; the other is rejecting it. As concerns "conservative or not," there is no question who is on the conservative side, even if new evidence like the Dead Sea scrolls or whatever may have been found, whatever.

So if there is no some reference in our Wiki to things "traditionally" believed, by whatever words we get at this, there can be no frame of reference for having a forum dedicated to what this one by name says it is dedicated to or all about.

Now, this doesn't mean that every old idea has to be maintained. It doesn't mean that the Catholic idea of a stream of doctrinal consensus equalling the the Bible, called "Holy Tradition," is what we are talking about. But it means that what has been valued and believed about God and his word through history is the conservative side.

Are Mormons conservative?
Are Jehovah's Witnesses conservative?
Are Moonies conservative?

All of them use the Bible....and if I have read once on this forum that this is all that is required to be a conservative (because saying you DON'T believe the Bible is all that these folks want to use as the test), I have read it a dozen times.

Yet obviously, none of them believes the Bible in the way that Christianity almost to a man did before they came among less than 200 years ago.

So you tell me.

But Albion, you don't want to permit this kind of examination, right?

I just wrote that I did. I'm not sure why you are reluctant to believe me.

However, it may relate to thinking that if it is a traditional belief, I have to stand by it in order to be a conservative. Not exactly that. It can't just be CLAIMED as traditional. I was saying that it is often the case that what is said to be traditional is not. In that case, if one could show that it is not a consensus --as goth AV1611's and Simon's wording was getting at--it wouldn't meet the tradition test.

If I say, for example, that believing that the Virgin Mary was born without sin is a traditional belief, ergo the believer says he's conservative here, you could prove the proposition wrong. While that view was the standard for many centuries, it has not been the consensus of Christians since the Reformation, has it? And you could probably also show, with less ease, that it wasn't the faith of the Apostolic Church. So what? Well, that would show that perpetuating the idea is not to defend traditional beliefs at all, only ONE stream of thought. A proponent of the idea that Mary was born with sin just like everyone else is just as conservative. (Of course, both will be pointing to different Bible verses, so we're back to the foolish idea that if the Bible is cited at all, the argument must be conservative).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for this CP! And thanks for voting with the girls! LOL~! I think I'll go and find colabomb and see if he'll vote now, lol!

Albion, thanks for saying you like me, that makes me feel as good as Sally Fields!

but this......
Have you watched TV lately, or spoken with any children - this is what's blasted over the media and taught in the schools: truth is relative, what's true for me may not be true for you, blah, blah.....
ewwww :doh:

All right. SOMETIMES liberals are honest enough to come right out and state the philosophy underlying liberalism--relative truth. SOMETIMES they will say that ethics are situational. BUT I am confident that we all know that they frequently do not. And if that is so, you are implicitly saying that any argument which is camoflaged in that way is fine on a conservative forum.

So we need an example, right? Here's one.

Gay activists argue that the Bible has nothing in it anywhere that is critical of homosexual sexual relations. They are not saying that what was wrong in the past is right now since we are so sophisticated in this day and age, or that we should change because new evidence has arisen about what makes one a homosexual.

Now to be accurate, they WILL use those arguments because as battlers for their position they will use any and all arguments that might possibly persuade us. But I hope that you don't deny that a major one is taking the Bible, especially in the company of Christians or on a Christian forum like this one, and showing, for example, that verses which condemn or criticise homosexuality "actually are saying that it is inhospitality, not homosexuality, that those verses were about."

It's to use the source you have said is what makes one a conservative on this forum. But it is to present it in a novel, new, uncustomary, against all Christian history, kind of way.

So, you can decide for me. Since their argument makes reference to the Bible, is same-sex marriage a pro-conservative issue?

According to what your Wiki definition offers us, there isn't anything that would say "no," is there? After all, the gay activist in my example is saying that the Bible is absolute, etc., and that it's the word of God. He just reads it differently than you or I.

Upvote 0