Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Any form of witchcraft and sorcery is a no-no if you follow the precepts of the Bible.

What precepts are you talking about, the O.T or N.T.?

Wasn't Moses one of the best sorcerers of God?

Didn't Jesus speak of a form of witchcraft when he mentioned shaking off the dust from your shoes?

Upvote 0

NiamhDhabolt

Humanity is on trial again.
Apr 27, 2005
Fallbrook, CA
Visit site
✟8,798.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A bit off topic, but ive never understood why some of them bother coming on this forum, I mean, I dont get it, Do people enjoy endless debates or what?

Some people waste a lot of time on a forum about something they dont believe in.

I joined this forum because I don't *just* talk to those who have the exact same beliefs as I do. Communing with those of differing opinions and beliefs helps me to better understand my own opinions and beliefs. Plus, I learn about other people and where they are coming from.

Also, I like many of the features of this board. When I joined, I loved the CF Characters (fun!), the arcade, pets, the set-up of the personal profiles and the features that offers, and the rep points. ;)

On topic, I know some people who claim to be wiccans, they were also "eco-warriors/protestors"
Maybe because Wicca is a nature-based religion...? :thumbsup:

Or maybe their eco-consciousness has less to do with their religious beliefs and more to do with wanting a more sustainable/renewable way of living, so that their children and grandchildren will have a cleaner Earth with more renewable resources.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Well aside from Gardner's adoption of many freemason practises for initiations (perfect love and trust at knife point? hmmmm)
His obvious theft of some of Shelley's poetry
Or the completely obvious 3x law...(which started out as the 4x law...but was reduced to 3 in light of celtic influences) which was a completely political move to make Witches seem less of a threat to the general public...
Or how the Rede for Wiccans wasn't written until the late 60's early 70's..

Which part do you wanna discuss?

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Any form of witchcraft and sorcery is a no-no if you follow the precepts of the Bible.

funny...any translation predating the KJV says "Necromancer" not "Witch"
hmmmm considering how much King James hated witches and others (unmentionable on CF) I'm not surprised that a version of the Bible in English that he ordered came to decry and condemn such people

:doh:

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
hmmmm considering how much King James hated witches and others (unmentionable on CF) I'm not surprised that a version of the Bible in English that he ordered came to decry and condemn such people

"Necromancer"? I thought it was "poisoner" because KJ had a fear of being assassinated by poison.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
"Necromancer"? I thought it was "poisoner" because KJ had a fear of being assassinated by poison.
It's what all my research has pointed to...

He actually had a fear of his manhood being made....dysfunctional Considering his proclivities and tastes in partners... atop with how he treated the women around him (even worse than usual for that era)...yeah...I'd be afraid of Witches too if I were him ;)

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yea, I kno.

BTW, if you want Christianity and World Religion can be a "safe haven" for wiccans.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh, forgot there are probably already other sites on the internet where witches hang out.

Yep...

Though I do still check in here regularly...so if you've something to ask...I'll answer...but the "safe haven" idea of CWR is ludicrous when compared to the rule set they've created for this area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Maybe because Wicca is a nature-based religion...? :thumbsup:

Or maybe their eco-consciousness has less to do with their religious beliefs and more to do with wanting a more sustainable/renewable way of living, so that their children and grandchildren will have a cleaner Earth with more renewable resources.

Well they're the majority, "pagan" eco warriors, they're alright though, I dont want to see Gods world destroyed, thats why I was against the quarry. The pagans are seconded by what i call "Hippiefied Christians" (I was talking to one and he was saying about how Jesus loved mankind and the earth), then there was a few "hippiefied atheists".

Seems to be more religeous unity of diffrent faiths (and those without faith) up there than in everyday life.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2006
oh?
✟8,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Yep...

Though I do still check in here regularly...so if you've something to ask...I'll answer...but the "safe haven" idea of CWR is ludicrous when compared to the rule set they've created for this area.
It's safe in that you can't get into trouble if you can't do anything remotely questionable. =)

In regards to the OP, the only Wiccans or Neopagans [[Spell-check suggests: Propagandist, hahaha]] I've met who actually think their religion is centuries old have been via the internet. As far as I can verify these people don't really exist, and from the sounds of it I am not sure that I want to shatter this illusion.

I might be misreading your tone, but if they still believe that Wicca predates the 20th Century, do you really think that you can change that belief? What's a few more ignored notes? ;-)

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Well admittedly the current evolution of Wicca is based primarily on Gardnerian and Golden Dawn...
But there are several writers from the 18th and 19th centuries who focussed on occult practices and rituals.

A lot of what came out of even those writings is...questionable...and even downright false....

anyhow...

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know there are some neo-pagans around, but are the also some Wiccans? I'd like to learn how much you know about Gerald Gardner and the roots of your religion, and whether you feel that your path would be less authentic if it weren't an undiluted bronze age religion heralding from an unbroken line of tradition.

How's your beliefs work with the supremacy of science?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
How's your beliefs work with the supremacy of science?
Whose? Mine?

I find that science is the best possible tool of gaining a better understanding of the natural world and its "mechanics". I see no major conflicts with my beliefs, as they do not really interfere or mettle with the "nuts and bolts" of physics, chemistry, biology and so forth.

I cherish myths as windows to the human "soul", the collective heritage of mankind's quest for spirituality - but not as factual histories of the planet, let alone valid explanations of natural phenomena.

Furthermore, I regard mysticism as a common heritage of Mankind, the result of our ability to enter a transpersonal frame of mind. Each exoteric religious tradition then used its specific cosmology, mythology and terminology to somehow press these experiences into their pre-conceived notions of what it ought to mean.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whose? Mine?

I find that science is the best possible tool of gaining a better understanding of the natural world and its "mechanics". I see no major conflicts with my beliefs, as they do not really interfere or mettle with the "nuts and bolts" of physics, chemistry, biology and so forth.
So you don't pray or work for something supernatural to happen?

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
So you don't pray or work for something supernatural to happen?

Nope.

The difference between solace and worry, happiness and misery has MUCH more to do with one's frame of mind than with any outward factor. My spiritual practices, such as they are, are aimed at fostering greater insight and understanding, not at cajoling some supernatural agency to shower me with pretty baubles.

Besides, "supernatural" seems like a nonsense term to me, one that's been used to describe natural phenomena that weren't properly understood at the time.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nope.

The difference between solace and worry, happiness and misery has MUCH more to do with one's frame of mind than with any outward factor. My spiritual practices, such as they are, are aimed at fostering greater insight and understanding, not at cajoling some supernatural agency to shower me with pretty baubles.

Besides, "supernatural" seems like a nonsense term to me, one that's been used to describe natural phenomena that weren't properly understood at the time.

So what's involved in your faith? You set up beakers and bunsen burners and worship science?

Upvote 0