Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where is God when it hurts?
Everywhere, as always.

Why do I go through pain and suffering when God is my lord and saviour... Why do Christians fall sick?
Because Christians, as all other beings, do silly things, eat silly things, drink silly things, make silly choices, are born into less than ideal situations etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟27,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where is God when it hurts? Why do I go through pain and suffering when God is my lord and saviour... Why do Christians fall sick?
John Eareckson Tada has been a paraplegic for 55 years and battled cancer twice. She has a powerful Christian ministry. Here is a short on how she deals with suffering, hope it blesses you and offering prayers for you!

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Where is God when it hurts? Why do I go through pain and suffering when God is my lord and saviour... Why do Christians fall sick?
Hello Finian, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave: I'm glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :) On the other hand, I'm very sorry to hear that you are suffering through such difficult times right now :(

As far as your questions go, God is always there for us, especially when we are hurting. He, who has already given us the very Best that He had to give (when He sent His Son here to die for us) ~always~ wants the very best for those of us who are or who will be His adopted children. However, what He ~knows~ is best for each one of us (especially in the long run) doesn't always feel like it in the moment. It's times like that, times like it sounds like you are going through right now, when we really begin to figure out what trusting Him means (trusting Him with our lives in the here and now, as well as in the future, in the eternity to come)!

Remember too that His ways, thoughts and purposes for us/about us are higher than ours could ever be (because we simply cannot see the "big picture" of our lives, both temporal and eternal, like He can), so there are many times in this life when we have to choose to accept what is happening to us in the moment and trust that the One who loves us and saved us will see us through it all (even if we do not understand His purpose for allowing it to happen us, especially when we're going through it).

One of the wonderful things to remember is that He promised to work ALL things together for our good (both the good things ~AND~ the bad things), eventually anyway .. e.g. Romans 8:28, but that doesn't mean that it will be easy for us in the midst of our troubles and pain (just that it will be far better for us than it ever could have been if He had not allowed us to suffer through the things that we do .. cf Hebrews 12:7-11).

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David

"Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering…. The love of God did not protect His own Son…. He will not necessarily protect us – not from anything it takes to make us like His Son." ~Missionary/Author Elisabeth Elliot

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. I hope you find peace through Jesus Christ of Nazareth who dwells in each and every believer through His Holy Spirit. Ask Him to fill you today.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,837.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟487,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! Those are hard questions. The answer is different for everyone. There is purpose for everything God is doing in your life. Instead of asking "why" ask "what is God trying to teach me" You may find a more complete answer in some of the devotional videos linked below. Many blessings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He goes through things with us. We live in a sinful world ... we hold on to the promises that there is a better world coming ... and there is.

There is a spiritual battle going on ... on planet earth .... and we are right in the middle of it. War is ugly painful and destructive. But it won't always be like this. Jesus has overcome the world .... rest in that.

John 16:33
New International Version

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

May the Lord give you the peace of what is yet to come rather than focusing on the horrors of living in a fallen world. Amen.

Take heart ... draw near to Him ... amen.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

GodBeMercifulToMeASinner

Sep 21, 2022
The South
✟28,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could be for any number of reasons. One is it helps people be more like Christ. Imagine what He had to endure, and because of our sin. Another reason could be it does help get people praying more. Whoever/whatever one goes to in good times, bad times, or ok times that’s their God.

Another reason could be to keep us humble. That seems to be what Paul was talking about here:

“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.“
—2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Another reason could be so that we learn to have more empathy, compassion, and consideration for others who are suffering, and also obtain wisdom and experience to be able to help others who may one day go through similar trials.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Fundamentally, because of sin. Christians are not exempt from temptation and trials are a part of the Christian experience. Satan is also most active on the earth today. He our enemy as well as God's enemy.

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial that has come upon you, as though something strange were happening to you." 1 Peter 4:12

The people of the world suffer much, but for nothing of any value. The Christian's faith is being refined and he is learning to depend on the Lord instead of his own strength. We need to remember that Jesus has been through everything that we might suffer and is victorious. He goes through the trial with us.

I was at sea on a warship for 3-1/2 years. We went through some terrible storms. One distorted the upper deck so that an emergency exit hatch started to leak. I never felt unsafe. Seasick, yes, unsafe, never. I used to go on the bridge to watch the waves pound the bow. It's one way to deal with seasickness. The ship could take it. The captain trusted the ship, his own training, experience and the crew. I had no idea of seamanship, as I was a technician, not a sailor. So I entrusted myself to those who knew what they were doing. They did not panic; why should I? God knows what He is doing. He's been dealing with life's storms since Adam's day. Entrust yourself to Him completely. He will get you through.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello and welcome,

There is pain and suffering in the world because of sin and sin effects everything in our world until Jesus returns and ends it. Until then He goes through our struggles WITH us helps us to endure.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where is God when it hurts?
For some time, I have been taught that God is above question; and so I have not questioned Him about things like this. And now it is more like I understand that God is in control of what happens and what doesn't; and I need to answer to Him, and do what He has me doing while I see how He has things work out.

Whatever He has us do, this will have His results . . . all-loving results, not only taking care of us.

I need to answer to God, then, when anything happens. In my case, there can be things I helped to cause, and now I can trust God to have me do what He sees fit. I can get correction, then He can bring me on to better.

One time, my back was in such pain, that I could barely move on my bed. I wondered how I would get to the bathroom, and if ever I would be able to get off my bed. Then I prayed and submitted to God, how I could, and I just kept being submissive and not trying to tell Him what to do. And my squirming in pain got the pain to ease up a bit, and then I went and checked the Net and found it could be muscle strain and what to do. And things worked out in that case.
Why do I go through pain and suffering when God is my lord and saviour...
Well, if I am being persecuted and it is not my fault, but really I have done things for God, I understand two things >

Jesus says to rejoice when we are persecuted.

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?" (1 Peter 3:13)

So, if I am really with God, I am in His love so no one can deeply hurt me and make me suffer. They might cause me some physical pain, but deeply if I am in God's love I have His Almighty protection against spiritual and emotional suffering.

Many times, I have gotten mad and nasty and hurt about what others did to me; but then I would look to God, and trust Him to change me out of my negative stuff, and then I could be naturally peaceful and even praying for and caring about ones who have been a problem for me.

And get into caring more about others in their suffering. As I get more into caring and praying with hope, this gets me stronger in grace of all-loving love so things can't get the better of me.
Why do Christians fall sick?
If I start to get sick or feel like it, first I answer to God. And see what He has me do. And I trust Him about what He will do about the symptoms.

And God is quiet, not silent, I would say. So, I need, then, to get rid of any noisy nasty stuff in my thinking and feelings and emotions; then I can hear and sense and submit to God in His peace. But first I trust Him to get rid of that negative and nasty stuff. And if things don't get right, right away . . . I answer to Him, not Him to me; and I trust Him to deeply correct me however He pleases.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0