Why Won't Hollywood Cast Asian Actors?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Really, to be fair to Hollywood, as soon as they start producing more Asian-centric films, they will hear constant complaining about how they don't "get"Asian culture, how they perpetuate Asian stereotypes, how Hollywood Asians are not like real Asians, etc.
Why should this be a problem? Hire people that understand the culture (i.e., hire more Asian writers and producers). Disney will spends a boatload of money studying fish movement and behavior for films like Finding Nemo, yet they can't do the same when it comes to culture of a particular groups (Disney was just used as an example, not saying they don't do this)? There are enough Asian writers, directors and producers out there for these films to be made. My cousin is a producer, good friends with Lisa Ling, and they both talk about these problems for Asians in news and entertainment.

After Lucy Liu was in Charlie's Angels, I remember her giving an interview where she talked about being Asian in Hollywood. She remarked that part of the problem was not being able to match her up with a spouse/parent/child actor of Asian background who could hold her screen presence. Everybody gets all mad when there's one token minority in a film for no apparent reason.

If you think that answer is bunk, you'll need to take it up with Lucy Liu and not me.
As if Lucy Liu does not think there is a problem in Hollywood...
Lucy Liu Talks Candidly About Racism and Stereotypes In Hollywood

Upvote 0

Cloture

Jul 20, 2015
a city by the sea
✟8,092.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That has nothing to do with what I said about her.

Hollywood is what it is. If they got better producers across the board, it would be a totally different industry. Asians are hardly unique in being abused by Hollywood.

At this point, I am stunned that there are still Christians out there dumping $12 into the millionth Will Ferrell movie. Trying to change Hollywood without a massive boycott is like trying to win a war by selling bullets to the other army.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why should this be a problem? Hire people that understand the culture (i.e., hire more Asian writers and producers). Disney will spends a boatload of money studying fish movement and behavior for films like Finding Nemo, yet they can't do the same when it comes to culture of a particular groups (Disney was just used as an example, not saying they don't do this)? There are enough Asian writers, directors and producers out there for these films to be made. My cousin is a producer, good friends with Lisa Ling, and they both talk about these problems for Asians in news and entertainment.

Then why not let Asians make movies they want to make. Lisa Ling can get a bunch of investors together and sell them on her ideas; that's how it works. There is no conspiracy here.

Reactions: Cloture
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think all these 'reasons' are wrong. Mind you, I haven't read all of them :p

Having said that .... it's about S.E.X. Always is, and probably always will be. The simple and brutal fact of the matter is that non-Asian women don't find east Asian men attractive. And while more non-Asian males will find Asian females attractive, they're still in a minority. The real killer is the lack of interest on the part of non-Asian women though, because the sexual interests of such women are what determines choice of male leads. And male leads are still .... leads (unfortunately). Incidentally, all races of male are considered more attractive to the non-Asian female than the east Asian.

If anyone is interested in why non-Asian women find east Asian men unattractive, there are plenty of studies and research to trawl through. It basically comes down to 'masculinity'. Or rather, a perceived lack of it.

Exactly. Similar reasons why older women often get the shaft in hollywood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would be hilarious, actually. But in a sort of soft and timid way :p
Yeah. Although I guess during WW2 and somewhat after WW2, the war crimes and brutality of the Japanese may have made them a little more alluring to women. Lol.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. Similar reasons why older women often get the shaft in hollywood.

It's really REALLY simple. The male lead sells the (majority of) film. He needs to be a man women want, and men want to be. Non-Asians females don't want Asian males, and non-Asian males don't want to be Asian males. It won't change in our lifetimes. Or at least not until Asian males start growing hairy chests, beards, muscles, and stature. The fact that Asian males are also perceived as meek, compliant, and non-rebellious doesn't help with the much loved Hollywood meme of the heroic maverick. Ugly, but true.

As for older women, I'm aware of a distinct shift just over my lifetime, so I do think it's improving on that front. From the earliest days of film through to the 1970s, leads were often a 20-something female and a 40 ish male. Such a thing is rare now, and would actually be unwelcome. I can think off hand of several prominent tv series in which the female lead is in her early 40's and the male lead/s are the same age or younger. And these women are not 'moms', they're showcased as dynamic and attractive women, as desirable (on all fronts) as 25 year olds were 50 years ago.

Reactions: Cloture
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. Although I guess during WW2 and somewhat after WW2, the war crimes and brutality of the Japanese may have made them a little more alluring to women. Lol.

I hate to expose my own girlie prejudices, but this is very true. Japanese men are significantly more 'sexy' than other east Asian males. The Japanese eccentricity simmering just under the surface lends them considerable appeal. There's unpredictability and a whiff of danger. There's poetry in the Japanese soul.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Things won't start to change unless you give people the roles, else Bruce Willis is still doing Moonlighting and Will Smith will be telling us about how he became a prince of a town called Bel-Air. This is one of those chicken/egg scenarios. If you don't hire people for the roles, they can't prove their worth. Nonetheless, the myth that minorities don't bring in box office dollar is slowly becoming history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Things won't start to change unless you give people the roles, else Bruce Willis is still doing Moonlighting and Will Smith will be telling us about how he became a prince of a town called Bel-Air. This is one of those chicken/egg scenarios. If you don't hire people for the roles, they can't prove their worth. Nonetheless, the myth that minorities don't bring in box office dollar is slowly becoming history.

You're missing the point. It's not about being a minority at all. It's the simple problem of S.E.X. As long as non-Asian women don't want to 'do it' with Asian men, they won't be hired. There are plenty of examples of non-Asian males from minorities who have become prominent leads and are lusted after by 'white chicks'.

To give you an example of how very specific to only East Asian males this is, check out Milind Soman, an Indian actor. He's the subject of much international female lust.

images

Now check out some east Asian male celebs ...

images
images

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's really REALLY simple. The male lead sells the (majority of) film. He needs to be a man women want, and men want to be. Non-Asians females don't want Asian males, and non-Asian males don't want to be Asian males. It won't change in our lifetimes. Or at least not until Asian males start growing hairy chests, beards, muscles, and stature. The fact that Asian males are also perceived as meek, compliant, and non-rebellious doesn't help with the much loved Hollywood meme of the heroic maverick. Ugly, but true.

As for older women, I'm aware of a distinct shift just over my lifetime, so I do think it's improving on that front. From the earliest days of film through to the 1970s, leads were often a 20-something female and a 40 ish male. Such a thing is rare now, and would actually be unwelcome. I can think off hand of several prominent tv series in which the female lead is in her early 40's and the male lead/s are the same age or younger. And these women are not 'moms', they're showcased as dynamic and attractive women, as desirable (on all fronts) as 25 year olds were 50 years ago.
What are these sitcoms? Admittedly I do not watch modern television, but I have a hard time believing 40 year old women are being viewed as "sexy". At least not anywhere on the same level as a typical 25 year old. Maybe on the same vein as "Tom Cruise is short, while that is unappealing he still has something going for him."

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"Proficiency in the language" I keep hearing....
Of course the only reason Arnold got all those parts was that he was an amazing actor! His stellar performances made audiences overlook his thick, Austrian accent!

I won't be seeing Ghost in the Shell. Not because Scarlet Johansson isn't Asian (although that is a bad thing) but because I'm sure she won't be getting nekkid as the part necessitates.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
"Proficiency in the language" I keep hearing....
Of course the only reason Arnold got all those parts was that he was an amazing actor! His stellar performances made audiences overlook his thick, Austrian accent!

Plus, it's as if there are no Asians born in the US who speak with perfect, and often American accented English

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Its good to know the whole world isn't as vapid and nuts as is the West.

Whitewashing.. really.. some Asians are more white than some "white" people. Lol.

And some of the Japanese people in the video do have a point, a lot of anime characters look more European than Asian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What are these sitcoms? Admittedly I do not watch modern television, but I have a hard time believing 40 year old women are being viewed as "sexy". At least not anywhere on the same level as a typical 25 year old. Maybe on the same vein as "Tom Cruise is short, while that is unappealing he still has something going for him."

Not sitcoms, no. One is even an "action hero". Worth pointing out that none if these women look the way an 'average' 40 year old looks. They're all very fit and have good skin etc. We can all do that, though, so it's not an impossible hollywood dream.

Tom Cruise had some machismo, so that made up for his lack of height.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Its good to know the whole world isn't as vapid and nuts as is the West.

Why vapid and nuts? Because we prefer our men to be male in a way that few east Asian males are? That doesn't make us nuts, just the product of anglo-celtic/norse heritage, or whatever. We're conditioned for Vikings and African warriors, sorry.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sitcoms, no. One is even an "action hero". Worth pointing out that none if these women look the way an 'average' 40 year old looks. They're all very fit and have good skin etc. We can all do that, though, so it's not an impossible hollywood dream.

Tom Cruise had some machismo, so that made up for his lack of height.

We can certainly take care of ourselves, but sadly I think there's an important genetic component to it too. My mother is in her 50 yet has no wrinkles and pretty much clear skin (even without wearing any make up). She's never really done anything to preserve her youth.

Although most people in their 50s (men and women).. well.. they're a different story.. lol.

Upvote 0