Why was the God in the old testament so violent?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This world is history already, over and out, it is finished and everyone in this world who are of the world share its fate.

Don't worry. You won't live to see the end of the world. Nor will your descendants for many generations. It will almost certainly be a different world perhaps even a very unwelcome world if we humans mess it up bad enough.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And now he is completely love/good but violence/killing is bad? I get he doesnt want to kill anyone or get pleasure out of it but we are called to act like Jesus and be of peace only and Jesus is God? To peace that was the only way?
I just dont understand why God alone was not able/willing to forgive people for their sins and not destroy everyone without Jesus having to come and die? Or if he wanted to not just to forgive us but have us change could he had just appeared to everyone like Moses?

I think into things maybe too much for my own good.. I just want to be a simple man but I have so many questions and things I don't understand.
If the Bible is meant for clever people that means God is partial, practicing favoritism. However the text says God revealed wisdom to the simple folks, and hid it from the so called wise. This is because the simple folk were humble and quickly admitted they couldn't understand. But they were also obedient, and followed the command to ask for help, bread, every day. If your earthly father knows how to give you good things will your heavenly Father not give the Holy Spirit to all those who ask? And will the Holy Spirit not lead into all truth?

God appeared directly to people in the OT, did great works, yet they did not understand and did not respond correctly. It's good He doesn't do that in the NT that much, although He did lay down judgment on some people who had tasted of the Holy Spirit and seen His goodness and still disobeyed. Now God treats us in a mature way, by teaching us through Scripture.

Romans 15
4For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

That's progress.

I learnt this by asking for bread everyday. That's my hermeneutics, interpretation method. There is no way human methods will work. It needs supernatural help.

See? It works!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The tribulation is Gods last effort to save mankind.

A Robe dipped in blood, that says a lot. When He makes war the sharp sword that comes out of His mouth is the Word.

All He has to do Is quote the Word and the enemy will be killed.

His eyes a flame of fire.

His eyes are that piercing.

Have you ever looked at some one and they stare you right in the eyes. Imagine Christ with hair white like wool staring you down.

It says in John that He told His disciples that if they knew where He was going they would be glad, cuz He went to the Father.

Many Christians think He went to Hell.

But Paul said He left It up to the Father. Jesus never committed a sin so why would He go to Hell after He died?

That’s the power of the resurrection.

And since when He died that opened the door for Us His Children to make it in to Heaven.

Glory to God!!!
Most Christians think that Jesus went to hell?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟915,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And now he is completely love/good but violence/killing is bad? I get he doesnt want to kill anyone or get pleasure out of it but we are called to act like Jesus and be of peace only and Jesus is God? To peace that was the only way?
I just dont understand why God alone was not able/willing to forgive people for their sins and not destroy everyone without Jesus having to come and die? Or if he wanted to not just to forgive us but have us change could he had just appeared to everyone like Moses?

I think into things maybe too much for my own good.. I just want to be a simple man but I have so many questions and things I don't understand.

In the OT God killed all the wicked at the flood and all those who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah.

In the NT - we are told God will raise all the wicked who have ever lived and kill them all again in one single event in Rev 20 -- the lake of fire.

So then the question is -- which testament has God killing more people OT? or NT?

Seems like it is NT hands down.

Notice that it is Moses and Elijah standing in glory with Christ in Matthew 17 ... even before the cross.

All the OT saints will be resurrected with all the NT saints who died as we are told in 1Thess 4 - at the rapture-second-coming singular event.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Revival. In my understanding, the two greatest outpourings in history are the Mosaic period and the Pentecost period. Since obedience is easier when we are filled with sanctifying power from on high, God becomes less tolerant of sin. Thus even though revival is an incredible blessing - beyond our wildest dreams in fact - it's also a very dangerous event. And we see the same thing in the NT, after Pentecost. Not only were Ananias and Saphira struck dead, but also the Corinthians were dropping dead due to profaning the Lord's Supper.

And that's why Jesus didn't stone the adultress. " Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." At that point it was NOT revival. Virtually EVERYONE was sinning (much like today). And that is what is to be expected, when there's no revival. On the other hand, lack of revival isn't a valid excuse to be complacent, an excuse to refrain from SEEKING revival. If a nation remains complacent - and thus degenerates even further - eventually God is likely to unleash judgment. This happened in Noah's day, as well as for Sodom and Gomorrah.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And now he is completely love/good but violence/killing is bad?

In Biblical point of view killing is not bad, unjust killing that is murder, is bad and wrong. And also in New Testament it is so that unrighteous people die and righteous people will have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And I think that is good. If unrighteous people would live eternally. they would make life eternal suffering for all.

…I just dont understand why God alone was not able/willing to forgive people for their sins and not destroy everyone without Jesus having to come and die? Or if he wanted to not just to forgive us but have us change could he had just appeared to everyone like Moses?

God was willing and able to for give sins without death. Jesus had the right to forgive sins before his death and Jesus gave the same right to his disciples.

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25

Whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained."
John 20:23

Appearing to everyone like to Moses, I think that would not make much difference.

Upvote 0