Why was polyamorous marriages never expressly forbidden in the Bible?

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's plenty examples of polygamous relationships in the bible, I haven't seen a single one that was more broadly polyamorous. Could you give a scriptural example of a relationship that involved anything other than 1 man and multiple mutually exclusive women? (which is to say evidence there was ever more than two in a bed).

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And is it a sin even though the Bible never expressly says it is a sin?
It is against secular law and we must abide by it. As far as scripture, there is no definitive law addressing it however if you are led by the Holy Spirit, you will know it is wrong. The law written in our hearts. What happened in the past on this subject is now moot.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
It is against secular law and we must abide by it. As far as scripture, there is no definitive law addressing it however if you are led by the Holy Spirit, you will know it is wrong. The law written in our hearts. What happened in the past on this subject is now moot.
Blessings
Do you believe that we must abide by all secular law, or just this one?

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There's plenty examples of polygamous relationships in the bible, I haven't seen a single one that was more broadly polyamorous. Could you give a scriptural example of a relationship that involved anything other than 1 man and multiple mutually exclusive women? (which is to say evidence there was ever more than two in a bed).

Well since Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines, I can't imagine the crazy orgies that were going on there so I don't think that there needs to be a verse that says "This specific event happened and that's how it happened."

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean against the law? A king is not to multiply horses and wives. "He must not take many wives for himself, lest his heart go astray." (Deut 17:16)

God made them male and female so they could be joined together and become one. "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:4)

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that we must abide by all secular law, or just this one?
It is only against secular law to have more then one legal wife. Although this is a recent ruling of the court.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I will answer the literal question of the title "
Why was polyamorous marriages never expressly forbidden in the Bible?"

1) Contrary to modern slogans "About the Bible being a manual for life" The Bible is not that literally speaking. In the general sense it does have "wisdom for life" but not in the sense of how books today are written with specific chapters and glossaries covering specific subjects which systematically try to cover all FAQ like questions. Most of the books of the Bible do not come close to that being historical chronologies, letters to specific groups etc.

2) The Bible does not cover it because it is a given. Adam and Eve in the garden before the Fall shows what God intended as far as relationships go.

3) The reverse is true for non-monogamous marriage, concubines etc. It tends to be about people trying to fulfilling God promises in their own strength (Hagar being given to Abraham), exploiting people (Laban forcing a multiple
marriage on Jacob), lust with Solomon and his haram etc.

Note there is a difference between things that God tolerates vs. what he wants for us. God tolerated polygamy but there is no indication that he wanted or sanctioned it.

The definition of Sin in the Greek is Amartia "missing the mark". If monogamy is the ideal state of man from early Genesis then is this not Amartia? (Hint in the Gospels Jesus does imply this was the intention also for relationships.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do think the Genesis account indicates marriage is meant to be one man and one woman. After that, the world decided to do it's own thing, including in Israel.

Solomon wasn't obeying God's law at all in having all those concubines for the prime reason that many of them were not Jewish women and God forbid cross marriages. We see how those women led him away from God to false gods. As far as the number of women, I don't off the top of my head remember what the OT says about that.

However, from the NT I think it's made clear once again that marriage is between one man and one woman as symbolic of God's relationship with His people, the Church. And that was most likely the reason for having it that way from the very beginning. The OT is frequently looking to the future and so many of it's prophecies came true in NT times.

Paul also mentions that an elder of the church should be the husband of one wife. So obviously he was aware that polygamy was practiced in places, but it was important that a leader of the church did not have that kind of relationship. We should ask ourselves why...

• Agree
Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
It is only against secular law to have more then one legal wife. Although this is a recent ruling of the court.
I was speaking specifically to Maria billingsworth, who said that we must abide by secular laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The NT assumes Jewish ethics, and on many (maybe even most) doesn't have a specific Christian position. By the 1st Cent, Judaism considered monogamy the standard. However polygamy wasn't precisely outlawed, nor were concubines. The only places I know of it's dealt with the NT is 1 Tim, but only for leaders, and Mark 10:7, which implies it. The fact that 1 Tim mentions it specifically for leaders implies to me that that church took basically the Jewish position.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think God understood that experience would teach us that one wife (one husband) is more than enough.

"Lord, shouldn't you make a law about all these wives?"
"No need. The misery of trying to please all of them will do the trick."

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The new testament does say it is a kind of sin. Examples (leaders) for the church had to have just a single wife.

1Ti 3:2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

And in the OT Kings, were not to multiply wives to them selves.

Deu 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you mean against the law? A king is not to multiply horses and wives. "He must not take many wives for himself, lest his heart go astray." (Deut 17:16)
And does it say how many is “multiplying?” How many is “many?” Lots of equestrians own several horses.

That verse certainly does not limit it to one.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus essentially made it impractical.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell. It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." - Matthew 5:27-32

It's hard to find a second wife if you can't look upon another woman besides your wife with desire.

Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, required monogamy for church leaders:

"The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?
He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued,not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.
They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.
And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless.
Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.
Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well.
For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus." - 1 Timothy 3:1-13

Christians need to grow into compliance for all of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is enough in scripture speaking generally against fornication, adultery, and uncleanness, that I do not think every possible sexual variation needs to have been identified and condemned, one by one, for us to conclude that what is meant is quite apparent.:)

There are, in fact, dozen upon dozens of Bible verses speaking to this matter. Here are only four examples:

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

Galatians 5:19

Colossians 3:5

Jude 1:7

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This topic is being raised more frequently on Christian sites. Some have sanctioned the practice and others implied it isn’t forbidden. I don’t know if the rising interest is the result of cable programming, a new low in morality, or a bit of both.

Christ’s response leads the way:

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. — Matthew 5:28

You must consider his state (or hers) in light of His words. An existing marriage is what makes the behavior adulterous.

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery. —Matthew 19:9

Jesus didn’t validate plural unions.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And does it say how many is “multiplying?” How many is “many?” Lots of equestrians own several horses.

That verse certainly does not limit it to one.
Genghis Khan holds the record with 16 million descendants today. God told David that if he had wanted more, he could have had more wives. The problem was when he took Bathsheba, another man's wife. We are not talking about the masses. We are talking about the remnant that God preserves onto Himself.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is enough in scripture speaking generally against fornication, adultery, and uncleanness, that I do not think every possible sexual variation needs to have been identified and condemned, one by one, for us to conclude that what is meant is quite apparent.:)

There are, in fact, dozen upon dozens of Bible verses speaking to this matter. Here are only four examples:

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

Galatians 5:19

Colossians 3:5

Jude 1:7

The problem is King David had multiple wives. This was never condemned.

King Solomon had a THOUSAND women. This was never condemned(except that they led him astray).

Almost all of the original Jews(Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob) had multiple wives. This was never condemned.

Some of them had concubines. This was never condemned.

WHY IS THIS NOT CONDEMNED if it is CLEARLY wrong?

• Agree
Upvote 0