Why the First Amendment Rocks!

R

reverend C

Halloween Book Burning at Baptist Church to Include Copies of the Bible | Civil Religion | STLtoday

This catastrophe for all of us that wish to introduce people to the love of Jesus is certainly, and blessedly, protected by the First Amendment. And aren't we all well served by this display of parochial fear-mongering?

This tiny sect of extremists are free to openly display their lack of intellectual curiosity and cowardice when faced with confronting ideas other than their own, and thus announce themselves for what they are, openly and without the tiniest bit of shame.

Given the opportunity, both the ignorant and the brilliant will loudly announce themselves to the world, to the benefit of us all. It makes it so much easier to identify them.

And to giggle at them.

R

reverend C

So, whose doors did they kick in to sieze the materials they burned?

When you get jacked about flag burning, I'll get jacked about this.

who are you directing this at? i support their right to do this wholeheartedly, just like i support the kkk's right to march. it puts them on display and shows exactly who they are, just like those who burn the flag are displaying the passion they have for their cause, whatever it may be.

my personal feeling is this display at the baptist church makes a counter-demonstration unnecessary, as they are their own parody. but without the right to display this, how would i get my end of the week giggle?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As I asked earlier, whose doors did the kick in to get these books to burn?

Hiya Steve, you are a bit confused. There are now these places where you can actually buy books!

I know I was as amazed as you are!

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

BUT THERE'S MORE!

You can go there and buy books online! You can even buy lighter fluid and matches! Amazon has all the things you need for your book burning on just one site!

There's no need anymore to break into peoples homes to burn their books!

NO!

Now when you feel the need to show the world how cowardly you are and how much information that disagrees with your world views scares you, you can actually BUY books for your publicity stunts!

AMAZIFYNG!

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hiya Steve, you are a bit confused. There are now these places where you can actually buy books!

I know I was as amazed as you are!

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

BUT THERE'S MORE!

You can go there and buy books online! You can even buy lighter fluid and matches! Amazon has all the things you need for your book burning on just one site!

There's no need anymore to break into peoples homes to burn their books!

NO!

Now when you feel the need to show the world how cowardly you are and how much information that disagrees with your world views scares you, you can actually BUY books for your publicity stunts!

AMAZIFYNG!

The point was, if they were burning books they bought with their own money, what business is it of yours? If they want to destroy their own stuff it is their right.

Now, if you want to compare their methods to the Nazi book burning, you have to show these people storming libraries and book stores and private homes , carrying books out into the streets and having the bonfire.

Otherswise, epic fail.

BTW, book burning in Germany was principally a univerisity student led movement. Educated? For sure! Didn't seem to make a difference, though did it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point was, if they were burning books they bought with their own money, what business is it of yours? If they want to destroy their own stuff it is their right.

Now, if you want to compare their methods to the Nazi book burning, you have to show these people storming libraries and book stores and private homes , carrying books out into the streets and having the bonfire.

Otherswise, epic fail.

BTW, book burning in Germany was principally a univerisity student led movement. Educated? For sure! Didn't seem to make a difference, though did it?

I don't think anyone is disputing that it's their right. In fact, the OP makes a point of mentioning it. Just like it is everyones right to burn the flag, so it is the right of everyone to burn books. People are just commenting on how barbarous and offensive it is. The parallel to Nazi germany is the burning of books containing info contrary to ones beliefs. The method of acquisition is another matter. So it being legal or not isn't really the point. And again, nobody (AFAIK) is saying it should be illegal.

Upvote 0