Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Perhaps so, but to regard his silence on the matter as as evidence of some sinister hidden agenda seems excessive.
There is nothing that is really hidden in an agenda that starts by comparing Christian creation with a belief that we are flecks of vomit.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe you would trust in a God that calls for what those people do, but not me. ;)

Reality is dependend on what you like or don't like?

I keep telling some of you, you must use a little common sense. yet.....

"Common sense" doesn't lead me to believe in any god.

Refer to the prior comment on common sense. :)

Ditto.

Must be terrible not to know at least one person you can trust that much...the concept really isn't all that that far fetched.

What concept?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
And what was that you said about Tom Cruise? ;)

Oh, I know, we only run with the "stay on topic" defense when it's convenient and necessary to shush the offending party because we have no other defense.

Typical.

That was on topic. I was giving examples of beliefs that people hold, in context of not being justified to hold them. Just like in the OP, the point is that there is no reason to believe the christian creation myth above any other creation myth.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's neither what he asked nor how he asked it.

There are many here with whom I disagree on nearly all subjects, but they can at least engage in civil discourse without unwarranted condescension. We all know your version of creation. We choose to believe God's version. We are rational and intelligent enough to know that a supernatural entity speaking the universe into existence violates natural law. We also know that has no bearing on whether or not it happened.

Why then, do you instantly disbelief claims about any other subject where natural laws are being violated, precisely because it requires the violation of those laws?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a little bizarre to ask a Christian why they prefer Christian beliefs over another.

Why is that bizarre?
It's just asking people why they believe what they believe, as opposed to some other thing that other people believe...

Seems like a perfectly legit question.

You could say that most (if not all) Christians adhere to their faith in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God which houses the origin of the heavens and the earth and everything in it.

The OP knows what you believe. It's asking why you believe it (as opposed to some other beliefs).

While the Christian creation myth (as you put it) may have importance to a relative number of Christians, to many other Christians it is not as important.

That's something I don't get at all....
Isn't, in the end, the creation story like the very reason for christianity?
Isn't that the whole reason that Jesus had to come to "save" everybody?
The creation story = the fall. The fall = need for a saviour. Isn't that correct?
No creation story = no fall = no need for a saviour.

So if genesis isn't true (or important), what use does christianity even have?

Personally I believe the Darwinian myth will one day be ranked the greatest deceit in the history of science.

Myeah. You can believe whatever you want off course.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You believe using the Bible to justify the Bible is circular? I disagree. The best approach is to treat the Christian scripture as a secular scholar would treat it: as any other historical document from antiquity as well as other non-Christian sources and how they line up, especially in regards to Jesus Christ.
Also there have been many archaeological discoveries that authenticate the Bible, so to treat it as circular reasoning is a false statement.

Authenticating certain aspects of those stories (like existing cities, existing people, etc) don't make the whole of it correct.

It's a tired example, but imagine an archeologist 2000 years from now discovering marvel comics. It would mention New York, The United States, some other real countries and places, perhaps a few real american presidents, etc.

But that wouldn't mean that Spiderman actually exists - eventhough I'm sure several Peter Parker's live in New York.

When you accumulate these many "little pictures" and piece them together, the bigger picture ultimately ends up being about Jesus' death and resurrection.

There is no extra-scriptural evidence about any resurrection, ever.

From a scientific standpoint on the evidence that the Genesis creation account is likely true really goes back to a much broader and different discussion dealing with Noah's flood and the theory of evolution.

This is another thing that creationists seem to keep getting wrong. When you are trying to justify your belief in creation - the theory of evolution should never come up.
You don't provide positive evidence in support of your claim, by trying to discredit an alternative claim. That's not how it works.

If Noah's flood is true

It demonstrably isn't.

and the theory of evolution can be falsified

Extremely unlikely, at this point.

then the viability of the Biblical creation account being a historical narrative goes up by perhaps 20 to 45%

If evolution in fact IS falsified, then the effect on the biblical creation account (or ANY OTHER creation account) will be exactly zero.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is nothing explicitly contradictory with Genesis 1 and our current understanding of the earth and the order of it's life forms. There are implicit contradictions depending on your knowledge and interpretation of Hebrew grammar/culture/tradition however there are no explicit contradictions that I have seen.

It has life existing before the sun.
Just one example that invalidates your claim.

It also claims all humans are descended from a single breeding pair with no biological ancestry. That's flat out in contradiction with the facts as well.

There are many more such examples.

Perhaps you know the Bumba language better than I do but at least from your description it appears to have explicit contradictions with observable facts. However that said the Bumba account does have advantages over the popular scientific models of creation. Namely it doesn't lack a frightening amount of Aristotelian causes. If we are talking about which model is more likely, the Bumba, or the popular scientific models, I would say the Bumba is more likely because it has something whereas the popular models violate the axiom, "out of nothing nothing becomes".

Nothing in science actually says that.
Ex nihilo is a thing that creationists believe in, actually.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just one example that invalidates your claim.

It also claims all humans are descended from a single breeding pair with no biological ancestry. That's flat out in contradiction with the facts as well.

There are many more such examples.

Ex nihilo is a thing that creationists believe in, actually.
As I mentioned it requires an understanding of Hebrew grammar/culture/tradition. The sun doesn't come into existence on day 4, it reaches completion on day 4, that being for days, seasons, years, festivals, as it mentions. What is written in English as "Let there be" is "become" in Hebrew. The sun didn't begin as we see it now, it was 70% of it's current brightness, neither was the moon at it's current position. It was closer to the earth and days were shorter, as it drifted away it eventually reached a resonance with the earth and gave us a 24hr day. It's not a book you can just read and then scientifically criticize, it needs to be earnestly studied in Hebrew.

"Adam" is not a personal name until after the Garden of Eden. The name she is given isn't "Eve" either. As I said, you need to understand Hebrew/culture/tradition to legitimately criticize it.

I have heard all the other examples. There are lists of them on "Atheist Answers" websites that get propagated throughout the community. Their motivations unfortunately do not extend into properly understanding Hebrew/Culture/Tradition etc. I am not going to go over everything on the list, I don't have the time for that. Hopefully from these two points you can get a sense for the importance of understanding the language, culture, and tradition when looking at these ancient texts.

Creating Ex Nihilo is not the same as Ex Nihilo, nihilo fit. The later has a grammar structure referring to nothing as the source. Creation has a causal agent. There are models that claim our universe came from nothing. However they redefine nothing to do so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The sun doesn't come into existence on day 4, it reaches completion on day 4
Which amounts to life (like photosynthesizing plants) existing before the sun, still.

What is written in English as "Let there be" is "become" in Hebrew. The sun didn't begin as we see it now, it was 70% of it's current brightness, neither was the moon at it's current position. It was closer to the earth and days were shorter, as it drifted away it eventually reached a resonance with the earth and gave us a 24hr day.

And an actually livable planet. Some 3 billion years ago, this planet was not really a nice environment for complex organisms like us.

"Adam" is not a personal name until after the Garden of Eden. The name she is given isn't "Eve" either. As I said, you need to understand Hebrew/culture/tradition to legitimately criticize it.

Maybe you should tell your evangelical YEC friends that....
So, what is YOUR understanding of this story then?

Do humans descend from a single breeding couple, that itself had no real biological ancestry, or not?

If not, what DO we descend from?

I have heard all the other examples. There are lists of them on "Atheist Answers" websites that get propagated throughout the community.

Sure. And they are actual responses to actual YEC beliefs. You might not subscribe to such beliefs, but surely you can acknowledge their existance?
That's what those responses are about...

I wouldn't use such an argument in a debate with the pope for example, because I know that the pope is not a YEC and actually happily accepts evolution theory.

Their motivations unfortunately do not extend into properly understanding Hebrew/Culture/Tradition etc

They extend to respond to those people who actually have these beliefs.
If you do not hold to such literalist / fundamentalist beliefs, then those arguments are not against your beliefs. In fact, if you do not hold such beliefs, then you can actually use these arguments yourself to argue against those who DO hold such YEC beliefs.

Hopefully from these two points you can get a sense for the importance of understanding the language, culture, and tradition when looking at these ancient texts.

I have no problem putting things in perspective.
But hopefully you will understand how you interpret these texts is clearly different from how other people interpret these texts... And that "objections" to interpretations are only relevant to the interpretations that they actually target.

Creating Ex Nihilo is not the same as Ex Nihilo, nihilo fit. The later has a grammar structure referring to nothing as the source. Creation has a causal agent. There are models that claim our universe came from nothing.

Not a "causal nothing" either. These models very much assume that there is a "trigger" or explanation for that event.

Also, the models you refer to are, first of all, not presented as "Truth" like religions do.... But rather as hypothesis that may or may not be accurate.

Secondly, the only model I know of that "claims" this, is the same model that actually says that the universe itself is "nothing", in the sense that the total net energy of the universe is actually 0, in context of it having "positive" energy as well as "negative energy" that cancel eachother out.

Put extremely simplisticly...
Start with "nothing", which would be 0.
Then *something* happens, which splits this "0" into a +1 and a -1.

Now, you have two things where you had none before.
Add the two together, and it makes up for "nothing".

At least that's how I understood it.

But all that is advanced theoretical physics at the frontier of our scientific knowledge. It may be accurate, it may not be. Considering the history of scientific discovery, I'll put my money on it not being accurate. But the importan thing is that it doesn't matter, because it's not being presented as some kind of dogmatic truth that one HAS to believe.

However they redefine nothing to do so.
Lose the "re-". They just define their nothing. That's a sensible thing to do when talking about something so vague / alien.

The concept of "nothing" has been changed throughout time, btw. As we learned more about the world, the concept of "nothing" has been shrinking with every discovery.

A long time ago, when you had an empty box, you could say "there is nothing in this box".
But in reality, the box is filled with air (=many many molecules), bacteria, etc.

Then we discovered the vacuum and then that became "nothing". But again in reality, that "empty space" actually weighs something. There is still energy there. There are quantum fluctuations, virtual particles, there is "space" and "time" there, etc.

So today "nothing" means "no space, no time, no molecules, no particles".
But what is that? Is that "nothingness"? Who knows...

And like Lawrence Krauss once said to a panel of "philosophers" quibling about his definition of "nothing"...

He said that a theologian tends to define "nothing" as "that from which only god can create something". By which he meant that it doesn't matter how he defines "nothing", because theists will never be satisfied with it anyway, as long as it doesn't include that part in its definition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which amounts to life (like photosynthesizing plants) existing before the sun, still.

And an actually livable planet. Some 3 billion years ago, this planet was not really a nice environment for complex organisms like us.

Maybe you should tell your evangelical YEC friends that....
So, what is YOUR understanding of this story then?

Do humans descend from a single breeding couple, that itself had no real biological ancestry, or not?

If not, what DO we descend from?

Sure. And they are actual responses to actual YEC beliefs. You might not subscribe to such beliefs, but surely you can acknowledge their existance?
That's what those responses are about...

I wouldn't use such an argument in a debate with the pope for example, because I know that the pope is not a YEC and actually happily accepts evolution theory.

They extend to respond to those people who actually have these beliefs.
If you do not hold to such literalist / fundamentalist beliefs, then those arguments are not against your beliefs. In fact, if you do not hold such beliefs, then you can actually use these arguments yourself to argue against those who DO hold such YEC beliefs.

I have no problem putting things in perspective.
But hopefully you will understand how you interpret these texts is clearly different from how other people interpret these texts... And that "objections" to interpretations are only relevant to the interpretations that they actually target.

Not a "causal nothing" either. These models very much assume that there is a "trigger" or explanation for that event.

Also, the models you refer to are, first of all, not presented as "Truth" like religions do.... But rather as hypothesis that may or may not be accurate.

Secondly, the only model I know of that "claims" this, is the same model that actually says that the universe itself is "nothing", in the sense that the total net energy of the universe is actually 0, in context of it having "positive" energy as well as "negative energy" that cancel eachother out.

Put extremely simplisticly...
Start with "nothing", which would be 0.
Then *something* happens, which splits this "0" into a +1 and a -1.

Now, you have two things where you had none before.
Add the two together, and it makes up for "nothing".

At least that's how I understood it.

But all that is advanced theoretical physics at the frontier of our scientific knowledge. It may be accurate, it may not be. Considering the history of scientific discovery, I'll put my money on it not being accurate. But the importan thing is that it doesn't matter, because it's not being presented as some kind of dogmatic truth that one HAS to believe.

Lose the "re-". They just define their nothing. That's a sensible thing to do when talking about something so vague / alien.

The concept of "nothing" has been changed throughout time, btw. As we learned more about the world, the concept of "nothing" has been shrinking with every discovery.

A long time ago, when you had an empty box, you could say "there is nothing in this box".
But in reality, the box is filled with air (=many many molecules), bacteria, etc.

Then we discovered the vacuum and then that became "nothing". But again in reality, that "empty space" actually weighs something. There is still energy there. There are quantum fluctuations, virtual particles, there is "space" and "time" there, etc.

So today "nothing" means "no space, no time, no molecules, no particles".
But what is that? Is that "nothingness"? Who knows...

And like Lawrence Krauss once said to a panel of "philosophers" quibling about his definition of "nothing"...

He said that a theologian tends to define "nothing" as "that from which only god can create something". By which he meant that it doesn't matter how he defines "nothing", because theists will never be satisfied with it anyway, as long as it doesn't include that part in its definition.
I am not a yec. From what I read before I quit I can see you didn't understand anything I said nor attempted to in your highly tonal reply/diatribe. Believe what you want to believe, I won't waste my time in dialogue with someone who chooses rhetoric through ignorance with no interest in a true understanding of a text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was on topic. I was giving examples of beliefs that people hold, in context of not being justified to hold them. Just like in the OP, the point is that there is no reason to believe the christian creation myth above any other creation myth.

I would like to discuss this with you but if I want to keep posting here, it would not be in my best interest. ;)

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

False. A misunderstanding of ancient men. The life which existed before the Sun was made, was Adam, who was made the 3rd Day Gen 2:4-7 in another world.

*** Just one example that invalidates your claim.

Try again. Your first failed.

*** It also claims all humans are descended from a single breeding pair with no biological ancestry. That's flat out in contradiction with the facts as well.

Not so, since All Humans ARE the descendants of Adam. Prehistoric people (sons of God) married and produced children Gen 6:4 who INHERITED Adam's superior intelligence, which is like God's. Gen 3:22

*** There are many more such examples.
Ex nihilo is a thing that creationists believe in, actually.[/QUOTE]

False since God knew what Albert Einstein discovered more than 100 years ago. Genesis 1:1 is the outline and Heb 11:3 contains the details of when God changed the invisible Energy in His world into matter, in the physical world or things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Heb 11:3

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abraxos

Christ is King
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,546.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@DogmaHunter

You make a lot of statements that you believe are true, but you have not provided any premises and conclusions to justify your belief that your statements are true. If it's sufficient for you to feel to have no need to provide any, then I have no reason to address them.

I have pretty much already gone into detail on why Jesus Christ is the foundation of Christianity and why some believe in the creation account as literally true and true in a philosophical sense of it's message about humanity. Both valid to the believer but not the core of Christianity, to summarize. (If you want to query on this more then it would be off-topic but I'd be happy to discuss it further if you want to make a thread on it.)

Authenticating certain aspects of those stories (like existing cities, existing people, etc) don't make the whole of it correct.

It's a tired example, but imagine an archeologist 2000 years from now discovering marvel comics. It would mention New York, The United States, some other real countries and places, perhaps a few real american presidents, etc.

But that wouldn't mean that Spiderman actually exists - eventhough I'm sure several Peter Parker's live in New York.
Historians recognize that most writings of antiquity (before 500AD) contain factual errors and propaganda, but they can still identify kernels of the historical truth by comparing sources with other sources be it historical documents or archaeological finds. If they eliminated a source completely because of bias or error, they would know next to nothing about the past.

So your analogy is false on the premise that finding a particular type of literature (in this case a comic book) would not be sufficient enough for an archaeologist/historian to deem as a 100% accurate piece (even if it was set in a real city which made mention of real people) when compared to other historical documents and other archeological finds. It's all about identifying the context and the type of literature to understand the historical significance of the find.

This is another thing that creationists seem to keep getting wrong. When you are trying to justify your belief in creation - the theory of evolution should never come up.
You don't provide positive evidence in support of your claim, by trying to discredit an alternative claim. That's not how it works.

If evolution in fact IS falsified, then the effect on the biblical creation account (or ANY OTHER creation account) will be exactly zero.
Seems you are confusing the context of the position I hold. If Noah's flood (a worldwide flood for specificity) turned out to be true and the theory of evolution being falsified, then the viability of the Biblical creation account being a historical narrative goes up by perhaps 20 to 45%. Probably an innocent mistake of misrepresenting my position by quote mining and taking my words out of context...

Overall, I believe teaching the creation account in public schools is unnecessary. Teach the theory of evolution is schools but also show the many problems with the theory of evolution. Let the kids decide and come to their own conclusions whether it be true or not.
That goes for churches that teach creation as well. I know a few that were brought up in that environment and had it beaten into them that the theory of evolution was of the devil and just blindly accept what they say ended up being counter-productive. Just teaching one side of the argument is indoctrination not education.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While there is much debate about specific aspects involving evolution, there is NO debate regarding the core principle that life HAS evolved on earth.
Our loving Father HAS chosen an evolutionary path for our world and universe. No good purpose is served by denying His works.

• Agree
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not a yec. From what I read before I quit I can see you didn't understand anything I said nor attempted to in your highly tonal reply/diatribe. Believe what you want to believe, I won't waste my time in dialogue with someone who chooses rhetoric through ignorance with no interest in a true understanding of a text.

What you call a "true understanding", is actually just refering to the interpretation you happen to adhere to.

Plenty of christians, many on this forum, are YECs.

So I guess that means that you believe that they are all deceived?
I agree though.

Not really sure though, why you feel that my post warranted such a negative reply. I think I did my best to reply to what you said and to clarify a few things.

I guess you only like replies that simply agree with whatever you say.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
@DogmaHunter

You make a lot of statements that you believe are true, but you have not provided any premises and conclusions to justify your belief that your statements are true.

I hope you actually list them later in this post so that there is a bit more to go on instead of just a bare assertion...

Historians recognize that most writings of antiquity (before 500AD) contain factual errors and propaganda, but they can still identify kernels of the historical truth by comparing sources with other sources be it historical documents or archaeological finds.

Sure.

The point is though, that there are not other sources to validate the important christian claims. As I said, it's one thing to mention real people, places, nations, even events,... in stories. But that doesn't mean the entire story is correct. cfr: spiderman and new york city.

The fact of the matter is that no claim that is actually important to christianity (the supernatural bits, and even only on the person Jesus) is validated through other contemporary / independend sources. Not a single one.

So your analogy is false

It is not.
Half of what is mentioned in a marvel comic book would be validated by independent sources. New york, countries, places, companies, products, people, references to technology like the internet, cell phones, etc etc etc. All things that are demonstrably real.

But none of it, lends any credence to spiderman actually existing....
If you have a story with 100 independent embedded claims and you can validate 99 of them - that does NOT mean that the one claim left is ALSO true.

It's all about identifying the context and the type of literature to understand the historical significance of the find.

Historical significance, isn't really the same as historical accuracy, though.
Having said that, the historical "context" of the bible, is religious scripture/lore/mythology.

I get that you, as a christian, are unable (or just refuse) to see your bible on the same level as the Quran, the Bagavad Gita, the Iliad, etc. But the fact is, that it is just religious scripture. Just like so many other (mutually exclusive and equally unverifiable) religious scriptures...

Seems you are confusing the context of the position I hold. If Noah's flood (a worldwide flood for specificity) turned out to be true and the theory of evolution being falsified, then the viability of the Biblical creation account being a historical narrative goes up by perhaps 20 to 45%. Probably an innocent mistake of misrepresenting my position by quote mining and taking my words out of context...

I'm not taking anything out of context.
Invalidating a certain proposed explanation, does NOT, in ANY way, lend credence to some OTHER proposed explanation.

I'll prove it to you....
Suppose I have a belief that states that pixies make my grass grow.
There's a theory that says that some natural process is actually responsible for growing grass.
Suppose that theory is then falsified somehow.

Does that falsification lend ANY kind of credence to my "grass growing pixies" belief?
Obviously, it does not.

The only thing that would lend that claim any credence, is actual positive evidence in support of that particular claim.

Overall, I believe teaching the creation account in public schools is unnecessary

Not to mention, illegal.

Teach the theory of evolution is schools but also show the many problems with the theory of evolution. Let the kids decide and come to their own conclusions whether it be true or not.

"kids" don't get to decide what is good and bad science.

Just teaching one side of the argument is indoctrination not education.

There actually IS only one side to the argument in biology.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
While there is much debate about specific aspects involving evolution, there is NO debate regarding the core principle that life HAS evolved on earth.

i dont think so. many scientists (including biologists) reject evolution. we have many scientific evidence against evolution as you can see here:the self replicating watch argument

Upvote 0