✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello AA.

How do you know that the Genesis account is a creation myth?
Because that's how the story is used. There is nothing in the definition of "myth" which precludes the story being based on real people and events. the Genesis creation story is a myth whether it is literal history or not.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because that's how the story is used. There is nothing in the definition of "myth" which precludes the story being based on real people and events. the Genesis creation story is a myth whether it is literal history or not.
Myth, a widely held but false belief or idea?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Myth, a widely held but false belief or idea?
No,
"A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature." Dictionary.com (emphasis added) That was just my first hit but it is a pretty standard and widely known definition.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No,
"A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature." Dictionary.com (emphasis added) That was just my first hit but it is a pretty standard and widely known definition.
Type myth and read the following.

a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
"ancient Celtic myths" synonyms: folk tale, story, folk story, legend, tale, fable, saga, allegory, parable, tradition, lore, folklore; More

a widely held but false belief or idea.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Type myth and read the following.

a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
"ancient Celtic myths" synonyms: folk tale, story, folk story, legend, tale, fable, saga, allegory, parable, tradition, lore, folklore; More

a widely held but false belief or idea.
Neither my definition nor your definition number one require the story to be false. These are the literary definitions most appropriate to the Genesis story and do no violence to anyone's view of it.

Consequently, I predict that you will insist on using your definition number two as better suited to your rhetorical stance.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Neither my definition nor your definition number one require the story to be false. These are the literary definitions most appropriate to the Genesis story and do no violence to anyone's view of it.

Consequently, I predict that you will insist on using your definition number two as better suited to your rhetorical stance.
Well your prediction was not accurate.

I was simply requesting clarification of the OP, because I was unsure of the intended meaning of the word, 'myth', in the OP.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well your prediction was not accurate.

I was simply requesting clarification of the OP, because I was unsure of the intended meaning of the word, 'myth', in the OP.
I beg your pardon. I am too used to creation insisting on the second definition so they can paint anyone using the term as attacking the Bible. I have, indeed, been called a liar for posting the first definition. But I assumed it to apply here, because the question was, which myth was more likely to be true, implying that it was a question independent of whether a story is a myth or not, invoking the first definition.

Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are there any reasons why the Christian creation myth should be preferred to (or is more likely to be true than) the creation myth of the the Bushongo people, which says that the lonely God Bumba had a terrible stomach ache one day and vomited up the sun, moon, stars, and the earth?

Lots of similarities between the bible account and native myths, and many are clearly mockeries of the original.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Not that science is a popularity contest...

you spot my main point. thanks. so we need to look at the evidence rather then a list of scientists.

The fact is, that actual scientists rejection evolution is so marginally small that it's kind of funny how AiG etc can publish such lists while thinking it means something....

as far as i aware about 3% of all scientists reject evolution. and most scientists believe in a designer too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
you spot my main point. thanks. so we need to look at the evidence rather then a list of scientists.
And the evidence supports evolution. Also, why did you try to provide a list in the first place, then?

as far as i aware about 3% of all scientists reject evolution. and most scientists believe in a designer too.
51% of scientists believing in a designer from a survey done in the United States is kinda pushing the bar of saying "most". Given that the US is one of the most religious developed nations, I highly doubt that there is a strong majority of "designer believing" scientists in the world.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Then why are you posting lists of "scientists" instead of actual evidence?

You JUST said that we shouldn't be looking at what scientists believe and that how many believe something is not relevant - only the evidence is relevant.

So why do you continue to proudly post how an extreme minority of scientists has issues with evolution theory?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, on these forums it is courtesy to prefer Christian creation myth.

If lonely God Bumba has gotten his followers tech savvy enough they will have their own forums where his stomach ache is given preferred treatment.

So...nothing to do with evidence, everything to do with circumstantial courtesy.

When we're talking about the fact that europeans advanced technologically faster than other civilizations, we're talking about a lot of complex reasons that had nothing to do with christianity. If anything, christianity slowed down or impeded technological progress instead of helping it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

In the scientific community, consensus on a theory is a good argument for the strength of that theory. That's because they're using science.

If that 3% statistic isn't fabricated...then it's a safe bet that the majority of scientists from that 3% aren't biologists...or some field/branch of science related to biology.

As for "most scientists" believing in a "designer" of the human race...you're making that up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If anything, christianity slowed down or impeded technological progress instead of helping it.
Aristotle stunted the growth of science for 2000 years.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's not the most ridiculous statement I've ever read, but it's close...but I'll bite anyway. How did he do that?
QV please:
The idea that these four elements – earth, water, air, and fire – made up all matter was the cornerstone of philosophy, science, and medicine for two thousand years.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know Pat Sajak smoked a cigar.

Lol Pat Sajak? It's the deranged character from Dr. Strangelove...played quite fantastically by Sterling Hayden. I chose it because the character, despite being neurotic, understood that sometimes the only way to achieve a great good...was to commit a great evil.

Upvote 0