Why stop killing people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lee M said:
my question allowed many different and honest answers, yours allowed 2 answers. My question was based on the teachings of your book. Why are the OT laws for you to kill people no longer valid, is a valid question.

Your question still assumes that killing people was valid, just as mine assumes you were beating your wife.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Ebia

To be a fallacy the conclusion (usually an answer to the question) must be present either implicitly or explicitly

An assumption alone isn't a fallacy, especially when it has or is being argued that such is true. You are denying that god had witches, unbeleivers, homosexuals put to death in the OT? That those were practiced as laws?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lee M said:
Ebia

To be a fallacy the conclusion (usually an answer to the question) must be present either implicitly or explicitly

An assumption alone isn't a fallacy, especially when it has or is being argued that such is true. You are denying that god had witches, unbeleivers, homosexuals put to death in the OT? That those were practiced as laws?

Yes, essentially.

There is no historical evidence those were ever treated as literal penalties to be enforced on a consistent basis. Rather, they seem to have always been understood, and intended as, graphic, attention grabbing, ways of saying "this is really bad for the community - do not do it". (Paraphrased from Professor John Goldingay, OT professor at Fuller).

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lee M said:
you asked me if I had stopped beating my wife which is the typicak example the fallacy called COMPLEX QUESTION or circular argument. You were saying I was just making an unreasonable assumption

I simply asked it as a question to lead to a point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jdbear

Lee M said,
I don't know those people so I won't say.
I will say my ideas are superior the ideas in question.
I know my questions here are off the main topic and I appreciate your patience in answering my curiosity. You say your ideas about this matter are superior, but seem reluctant to admit that you are better than those people. Lee, don't you think you're better than other people, or do you mean where other subjects are concerned, you could be inferior to those people?

Lee M said,
That verse doesn't show why because such was true in the OT too but God wanted them killed.
That law isn't concerned with whether the rock thrower was a sinner too. In fact, it was a given that the stoner was a sinner, but they stoned away regardless, so that verse does show why Christians do not kill others for personal sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
the question I've posed to others is why were the death sentences parts of the law that went away rather than the many characteristic of the law that are also true in the NT.

I am not better than anyone, though lots of people have very immoral ideas. We all live and learn and make mistakes, it doesn't make us evil people. I wouldn't claim to be a better person. That we are all generally good, not evil or guilty, is one reason I'm not a christian.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
jdbear

I do not have the training required to divide everything into good or evil or qualify everything in terms or grades of good and evil. The world is much too large for this and far too complicated. I am not beset by evil and there is no holy war being waged. These concepts are commonly the passions of simpletons.

" give me a man who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man who has read two or three and you give me a dangerous enemy indeed "
France Montcleve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lee M said:
In the OT Jesus had many people from witches to simple nonbelievers put to death. What NT teaching dictates that this be stopped and put to death NEVER happen because of sin again?

Why have you stopped murdering people for sin? Because it is immoral or because Jesus said " stop now "?

Sorry if this answer has already been given.

The simple answer is that the Old Testament was written for and to the Jews. Christians are not Jews. Christians are under a new covenant where the laws in the Old Testament do not pertain to us.

I thing you should be asking Jews why the don't follow the Old Testament anymore.

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lee M said:
those things establish that the law was gone, show how they prove the death sentences would not simply be a truth that existed beyond the law such as the truths in the 10 commandments

you think perfect righteousness, perfect morality causes MORE death and destruction?

Moral relativism causes death and destruction.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
it had bern provided already but that's ok.

My typical response is this question

Why are the death sentences things that ended with the NT rather than the countless themes that existed in the OT that are also in the NT ? Such as all the principles from psalms and proverbs? The rules of the ten commandements and the countless other teachings and wisdom we gain from reading the OT?

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lee M said:
Lots of christians quote these laws in defense of certain things being sin, such as witchcraft and homosexuality. Yet they wouldn't kill them, it doesn't appear as simple as the law being gone.

Why would Christians kill people who practice witchcraft or homosexuality?

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lee M said:
The 10 Commandments are still true and good even without the law, lots of the principles found in the OT are, this is why proverbs and psalms are still good for today and plenty other of the OT material.

What makes you think death sentencing was not?

Because we are not Jewish.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.