Why so complicated?

brad12d3

Nov 24, 2008
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
I have read and heard the arguments concerning Calvinism vs Arminianism. First of all, I think it is all to easy to read too much into things and create inaccurate interpretations when it comes reading the works of man in any form. Different people can read the same poem or hear the same song and walk away with completely different interpretations of what the author was trying to say, in the same way I believe people can misinterpret the authors of the Bible. A friend of mine described to me how a kid in his class at his college made a observation that a poem they were studying was about Aliens. He was not being serious, but he was able to create an interpretation from the written words that could almost convince you that the author in fact was talking about aliens, if you didn't know any better that is. My point being that I believe there comes a time when we need to stop trying to dig so deep and take a step back and really look at the bigger picture from a practical perspective. I don't think God seeks to be complicated. You shouldn't have to be a bible scholar in order to understand how God works, so when something as important as the process of our salvation becomes so complicated that you feel like you need a whole semester to explain it someone, then you might consider the fact that you might be reading too much into it. Keep in mind that although the Bible proclaims the truth, it was written by men... inspired men, but men nonetheless, and men can be impassioned writers and there are obvious moments in the Bible when what is said can't be taken too literally. That being said let me state what I have come to be believe and I would love to hear any feedback from either side. I believe that God created the world as an exercise in love. To me love is not a warm fuzzy feeling but a decision. We can hate or we can love and we choose one or the other given any situation. I believe we have free will, I believe we had it from the beginning. I don't see how a mutual loving relationship is possible without both parties have the ability to choose to hate or love the other. If someone gave you a love potion and told you that you could give it to anyone you wanted and they would instantly fall in love with you and their love would never change no matter what, then what is special about that? You programed them just like you would a machine to act like you wanted it to. I find it much more impressive and meaningful when someone who as free control over their thoughts and actions chooses me to spend their life with over everyone else in the world.. not only that but 50 years later to know that they are still with me despite the fact that they could have decided at any point during that time to stop loving me and leave. That is pretty incredible. That's what I want, and I think that is what God seeks. He wants people to choose him over the temptations of the world, because that is what makes the relationship real. We are not a bunch of robots that receive different programming according to some preworld picking and choosing. I think the meaning of life is love. I believe Love is a decision, not fuzzy feeling or a programming. I don't think we are made incapable of coming to God. I think we have free will and we choose him or we don't and if we do, he forgives us for our sins, and those are the sins that are washed away by Jesus' sacrifice so that we can then enter the Kingdom of God. Is it too hard to fathom that the sin that Jesus took upon himself was a culmination of everyone who has and will decide they want to enter the kingdom of God, and so is washed clean? If you don't except God you die with your sin and it leads you to eternal darkness. You accept God's invitation and he takes your sin away and gives it to his son for disposal, so to speak.
Also, my belief on losing salvation is that we are capable of straying from God, even James makes mention of this... James 5:19-20 "My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. " Several years ago I was devout in my faith, and was in a wonderful dialogue with God. Just a few years ago, I got caught up with the wrong people and I stopped talking to God completely. I was a alcoholic that made no effort to sustain any sort of personal relationship with God. Never mind how I allowed myself to get there. My question is this. Could I have really considered myself a Christian then? Sure I believed in God and that Jesus died on the Cross, but remember what James says in chapter 2 particularly verse 19.

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."

I flat out denied God. Yes, I did follow him whole heatedly before. I really was a follower of Christ then. Yes, I let my environment take control which eventually led me to slowly slip away from God. Yes, later I missed being with God and returned, when I realized how empty I had become with out him. I believe I was separated from God. I can't think of any reason why anyone could consider me a Christian at that point. If so... then how? I really was a believer prior but completely lost control thereafter. I was an unrepentive sinner. Yet someone going by the rules of Calvinism would claim that I really wasn't a believer before. I guess I was just faking. I must have been pretty good because I even fooled myself. Or perhaps I was still worthy of salvation as I consistently ignored God and partook willingly in self devastating sin without regret. Who are we to say that if somewhere in the Bible or elsewhere for that matter it talks about someone falling from Grace, that they never were real believers in the first place? Are the chosen also judges of faith? I think believing that somehow you are spiritually invincible once you except Christ is foolish. I think once you experience Christ it is difficult to allow yourself to separate from him... but not impossible. So I am sorry for getting long winded, but when God calls for everyone to repent, (Acts 17:30), and Jesus weeps over Jerusalem says things like "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." Matthew 23:37: I can't understand why A.) God would make salvation so complicated. and B.) Why he would make it impossible for us to do on our own. Just doesn't make sense.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry but that's not what the bible says. There isn't one verse which implies that God gave man up to sin so they would arbitrarly choose him to show their love for him. God doesn't need our love, he created us for his own purposes, and is free to do with his creation what he wills.

Upvote 0

brad12d3

Nov 24, 2008
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
God didn't give man up to sin, but we are initially created unable to do good and are full of evil? Calvinist make it sound like we come into this world full of evil, I am just stating that we live in a world of good and evil and we decide what we fill ourselves up with. We fill our lives with worldly things or Godly things. I think it sounds more ridiculous to say that somehow we are born pure evil but some of us become enlightened because of a selection process that no one can explain to me. Why would some be chosen and others not? You say God doesn't need our love. OK, God will always exist whether we love him or not. Our lack of love isn't going to blink him out of existence. But is it crazy to think that he created the world to love him? He created a world so that he could have a bond with it? He obviously longs for us to know him and love him. So why is it crazy to say that that is why he made us? Why can't the meaning of life be love? If that is the case, then I don't see how our love to him can truly be genuine if we don't have the ability to make that decision on our own.

Upvote 0

brad12d3

Nov 24, 2008
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
one more thing to add to my previous post. Calvinist say that God created us and he can do what he wants with us, and so therefore he controls this and that and he is just micromanaging creation. Just because God has full control over his creation does that mean he can't still give us free will and that he has to micromanage everything? A man builds a car and all the components are designed very specifically to perform a specific action. Does the man constantly try to find ways to stick his hand in the engine to move the pistons, or stick his foot out the window to try and turn the wheels? No he designed the vehicle in such a way that it functions on it's own. He hopes it functions correctly, and if it doesn't he can go in if he feels like it and make tweaks and change things but he made it to work on it's own. I just don't think just because God is fully in control, means he can't let us make decisions, and do what we will with our lives. I believe he gives us the ability to run our lives and make our own decisions, because if we didn't then we couldn't have the mutual loving relationship that I believe he created us for and longs for. I can program a computer to tell me that it loves me and then my fiance can tell me the same thing, and only one of those holds any value to me. I made the computer say that, and I could make it say it hated me just as easy. It's all the same. When my fiance says she loves me, then I know that comes from a very personal decision she made and that she could just as easily not love me, but either way I didn't make her say that, or feel that way. It was her decision, and when someone else makes the decision to love you that is something special. In the same way, God may not need our love but he wants it. And I think we have to be able to make that decision to love him back before it can be considered valid. And to say that God allowing his creation to make their own decisions somehow makes him less than Godly is absurd. Every time I mention that we could have free will, I get the response that God is in control and he can do what he wants with creation as if somehow I have stated that by being able to make decisions we have become greater than God or something like that. Actually I never really understood what their point really was. God established his power and dominance long ago before man even set foot on the earth and I don't think he has to prove anything. Letting us have free will doesn't make him any less Godly than he was before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God didn't give man up to sin, but we are initially created unable to do good and are full of evil? Calvinist make it sound like we come into this world full of evil,
Citation.
... I am just stating that we live in a world of good and evil and we decide what we fill ourselves up with. We fill our lives with worldly things or Godly things.
Scripture. What's Scripture actually explicitly say about this?
I think it sounds more ridiculous to say that somehow we are born pure evil but some of us become enlightened because of a selection process that no one can explain to me.
I think it's ridiculous to reduce a viewpoint to the ridiculous.

Every explanation of the truth has been the subject of ridicule.
Why would some be chosen and others not?
What's Scripture say?
You say God doesn't need our love. OK, God will always exist whether we love him or not. Our lack of love isn't going to blink him out of existence. But is it crazy to think that he created the world to love him? He created a world so that he could have a bond with it?
What's Scripture say?
He obviously longs for us to know him and love him. So why is it crazy to say that that is why he made us? Why can't the meaning of life be love? If that is the case, then I don't see how our love to him can truly be genuine if we don't have the ability to make that decision on our own.
You're saying "on our own" like anything's possible without God, when nothing's possible without God. Nothing good's possible without God's good involvement, too. What's Scripture say about people being good?

Upvote 0

skullkrusher

Jan 15, 2009
Montana
Visit site
✟7,762.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As is so often the case, you (brad12d3) refer to free will in contrast to a reformed veiw. I would ask you, as I have many others over the years, to define free will. Many people talk about it; few think about it. What do you mean when you speak of 'free will.'

Next, I would ask if you can name any of the top three treatises written on the matter in the last five centuries. If you can't, maybe you will realize how much there is to learn on the subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCosmicGospel

Feb 3, 2007
✟8,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Free will:

You must imagine that God and Satan are just waiting for you to make up your mind? You are not a free agent...you however have limted free will...you can brush your teeth today, comb your hair...but you are not your own.

You are owned by Satan or by God. Make your choice. Oh yeah, you CAN'T!

You expect God to respect your free will decisions. You going to ask Mr. Nasty to respect your limited "free will" not to burn in hell forever because you haven't made up your mind?

You think God is too "nice" not to infringe on your liberty. The ENEMY is not that considerate. You are a simpleton that the Lion will gladly tear apart.

You are in the hands of the ENEMY if you are not in the hands of God. Guess which one is laughing at your "free will"?

What did Lazarus have to do after he was DEAD to come back to life?

You must be born again. What baby decides to be born? Did you? You do not understand free will until you understand being a free agent.

There are two powers in this life. Guess what. You are not one of them.

Upvote 0

ADNox2

Nov 15, 2009
✟7,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have read and heard the arguments concerning Calvinism vs Arminianism. First of all, I think it is all to easy to read too much into things and create inaccurate interpretations when it comes reading the works of man in any form. Different people can read the same poem or hear the same song and walk away with completely different interpretations of what the author was trying to say, in the same way I believe people can misinterpret the authors of the Bible. A friend of mine described to me how a kid in his class at his college made a observation that a poem they were studying was about Aliens. He was not being serious, but he was able to create an interpretation from the written words that could almost convince you that the author in fact was talking about aliens, if you didn't know any better that is. My point being that I believe there comes a time when we need to stop trying to dig so deep and take a step back and really look at the bigger picture from a practical perspective. I don't think God seeks to be complicated. You shouldn't have to be a bible scholar in order to understand how God works, so when something as important as the process of our salvation becomes so complicated that you feel like you need a whole semester to explain it someone, then you might consider the fact that you might be reading too much into it. Keep in mind that although the Bible proclaims the truth, it was written by men... inspired men, but men nonetheless, and men can be impassioned writers and there are obvious moments in the Bible when what is said can't be taken too literally. That being said let me state what I have come to be believe and I would love to hear any feedback from either side. I believe that God created the world as an exercise in love. To me love is not a warm fuzzy feeling but a decision. We can hate or we can love and we choose one or the other given any situation. I believe we have free will, I believe we had it from the beginning. I don't see how a mutual loving relationship is possible without both parties have the ability to choose to hate or love the other. If someone gave you a love potion and told you that you could give it to anyone you wanted and they would instantly fall in love with you and their love would never change no matter what, then what is special about that? You programed them just like you would a machine to act like you wanted it to. I find it much more impressive and meaningful when someone who as free control over their thoughts and actions chooses me to spend their life with over everyone else in the world.. not only that but 50 years later to know that they are still with me despite the fact that they could have decided at any point during that time to stop loving me and leave. That is pretty incredible. That's what I want, and I think that is what God seeks. He wants people to choose him over the temptations of the world, because that is what makes the relationship real. We are not a bunch of robots that receive different programming according to some preworld picking and choosing. I think the meaning of life is love. I believe Love is a decision, not fuzzy feeling or a programming. I don't think we are made incapable of coming to God. I think we have free will and we choose him or we don't and if we do, he forgives us for our sins, and those are the sins that are washed away by Jesus' sacrifice so that we can then enter the Kingdom of God. Is it too hard to fathom that the sin that Jesus took upon himself was a culmination of everyone who has and will decide they want to enter the kingdom of God, and so is washed clean? If you don't except God you die with your sin and it leads you to eternal darkness. You accept God's invitation and he takes your sin away and gives it to his son for disposal, so to speak.
Also, my belief on losing salvation is that we are capable of straying from God, even James makes mention of this... James 5:19-20 "My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. " Several years ago I was devout in my faith, and was in a wonderful dialogue with God. Just a few years ago, I got caught up with the wrong people and I stopped talking to God completely. I was a alcoholic that made no effort to sustain any sort of personal relationship with God. Never mind how I allowed myself to get there. My question is this. Could I have really considered myself a Christian then? Sure I believed in God and that Jesus died on the Cross, but remember what James says in chapter 2 particularly verse 19.

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."

I flat out denied God. Yes, I did follow him whole heatedly before. I really was a follower of Christ then. Yes, I let my environment take control which eventually led me to slowly slip away from God. Yes, later I missed being with God and returned, when I realized how empty I had become with out him. I believe I was separated from God. I can't think of any reason why anyone could consider me a Christian at that point. If so... then how? I really was a believer prior but completely lost control thereafter. I was an unrepentive sinner. Yet someone going by the rules of Calvinism would claim that I really wasn't a believer before. I guess I was just faking. I must have been pretty good because I even fooled myself. Or perhaps I was still worthy of salvation as I consistently ignored God and partook willingly in self devastating sin without regret. Who are we to say that if somewhere in the Bible or elsewhere for that matter it talks about someone falling from Grace, that they never were real believers in the first place? Are the chosen also judges of faith? I think believing that somehow you are spiritually invincible once you except Christ is foolish. I think once you experience Christ it is difficult to allow yourself to separate from him... but not impossible. So I am sorry for getting long winded, but when God calls for everyone to repent, (Acts 17:30), and Jesus weeps over Jerusalem says things like "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." Matthew 23:37: I can't understand why A.) God would make salvation so complicated. and B.) Why he would make it impossible for us to do on our own. Just doesn't make sense.
Shame

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Wisconsin
✟7,654.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are born into this world as inheritors of Adam's sin. Thus we are born spiritually dead, unable and unwilling to speak, hear, or believe the things of God. We are like Lazarus in the tomb. Only by Christ's Word do we "come forth!"

To deny this is to deny the greatness of our sin. To deny the greatness of our sin is to deny the greatness of our Savior.

Upvote 0