Paarl
✟8,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God bless, everyone. I attempt to give some answers to this question in the video below from a biblical perspective and wanted to discuss the topic further with you. If there are any other reasons why we should read the Bible feel free to add. Thank You! Here are the reasons that I mention.

1) The Bible is God's will for believers:

Deut.29:29-The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

God has been revealing his statutes and decrees for us to follow in written form since the times of Moses.

2) The Bible helps believers to mature spiritually:

Hebrews 6:1-Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,and of faith in God...

The author of Hebrews was exhorting the persecuted Jewish Christians of the early church to mature in their faith by moving beyond the basic teachings of Jesus. We are called to grow in our Christian faith through studying and applying scripture.

3) The Bible helps us to discern between false teaching and sound teaching:

Acts 17:11-12- Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. 12 As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.

The Berean Jews did not take what they heard from Paul and Silas at face value but examined it with scripture. Believers are to examine every teaching that they receive by measuring it according to scripture so that they can recognize whether that teaching is from God or Satan.

4) The Bible gives us the authority to overcome temptation:

Matthew 4:4-Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

When Jesus was tested by Satan in the wilderness for 40 days he overcame the enemy by quoting the OT. Believers are likewise to know God's truths from the Bible when confronted with temptation.

5) The Bible helps us to make disciples:

Matthew 28:19-20-Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you...

Jesus commissions his followers to make disciples, baptize and teach others obedience through what he commanded. In order to teach others the things that Jesus commanded in scripture we must learn and study the teachings of Jesus found in scripture.

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would simply answer it like this: We know nothing about God and our Christian life apart from the Bible, it is our only source - that should be enough for everyone.

Of course it is not enough to read the Bible. We can read the Bible in such mechanical manner, that we derive no benefit from doing so (e.g. the Pharisees couldn't even recognise the Messiah among them). And thus we need the Spirit to guide us through the reading.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BibleSoldier

Apr 27, 2020
Paarl
✟8,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would simply answer it like this: We know nothing about God and our Christian life apart from the Bible, it is our only source - that should be enough for everyone.

Of course it is not enough to read the Bible. We can read the Bible in such mechanical manner, that we derive no benefit from doing so (e.g. the Pharisees couldn't even recognise the Messiah among them). And thus we need the Spirit to guide us through the reading.
That is very true. A lot of times believers get caught up with reading the Bible as a mental exercise and do not see any relevance of it in their daily lives.

Reactions: Ivan Hlavanda
Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is very true. A lot of times believers get caught up with reading the Bible as a mental exercise and do not see any relevance of it in their daily lives.

Unfortunately people (and I had this problem too for many months) approach the Bible with a theory and then everything gets controlled by it. They evolve a theory they are pleased with and go the Bible and seem to find it everywhere. And then they twist the truth, or they don't like what Bible says so they skip it. Some Christians even wants some parts removed e.g. John chapter 8 and the woman who committed adultery.

Thanks God for the Spirit that it opened my eyes and I don't draw my own conclusions and draw God in a way that it makes it comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BibleSoldier
Upvote 0