Why should we believe in the results of the Council of Nicea?

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seeing that the council of Nicea happened ~300 years after the ressurection of Jesus, why should we believe the conclusion they came to?
They just acknowledged what was already there.
Nicea myth debunked.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
The English word is. The French, Latin, and Greek words are much older.

And, by the way, this forum is for Trinitarian Christians only.

So, since the scriptures I provided from the Book of Acts includes Peter - Phillip - Paul baptizing not in the titles, would they also not be allowed here for how they were baptizing people?

My point I was making had nothing to do with how they actually baptized and how the New Testament only shows people being baptized a certain way, my point was they did make anyone fast first before getting baptized like the Didache claims they would have.

Do you consider Peter - Phillip - Paul to be your brothers in Christ Yeshua (Jesus) even how they were baptizing?

If so, aren't I also your brother in Christ Yeshua (Jesus)?

And how do you plan on spending heaven together with Peter - Phillip - Paul when they baptized differently than you?

I really don't think how a person is baptized actually matters, since we see how they were doing it in the New Testament account of the first church!!

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Since you've denied the Trinity, no.

This means you also are not Peter - Phillip - Paul's brother in Christ either and they are in heaven. If you are not their brothers then you must be going to the Lake of Fire :(

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The idea of God being a plural unity is very old.
So the Jews believed this too. And afteral, Elohim is plural.
The Godhead.
But they let the idea go, despite the Tenach books clearly inferring it, after Christianity became a big thing.
Trinity is not an invention of Nicea, but maybe the word "trinity" is.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
The idea of God being a plural unity is very old.
So the Jews believed this too. And afteral, Elohim is plural.
The Godhead.
But they let the idea go, despite the Tenach books clearly inferring it, after Christianity became a big thing.

I am not arguing that God is triune. I would argue the term persons some use to describe God's triune nature is not actually in the Bible, that is just opinion only.

And I can also provide scripture where Elohim means plural and means singular. When Jesus (I AM) was in the Burning Bush talking to Moses, in the original Hebrew, Jesus said He was the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob. So clearly, Elohim can be used in the singular. Because it makes no sense 3 natures of God was talking to Moses and calling themselves Elohim. We know it is Jesus because He said, I AM THAT I AM and confirmed it in the Gospel of John.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
The Hebrew:
Shemot (Exodus)

6 Moreover he said, I am the Elohim of thy father, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon Elohim.

Notice how this verse begins (HE SAID -singular)

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not arguing that God is triune. I would argue the term persons some use to describe God's triune nature is not actually in the Bible, that is just opinion only.
No it isn't.
There are different persons in the Old Testament who are God.
Sometimes they are present simultaneously.
...you're gonna ask for Bible verses...
And rightfully so, but i don't have them listed...
Unfortunately i can only refer you to lectures by Michael Heiser.
He's the expert and ancient languages buff.
And I can also provide scripture where Elohim means plural and means singular. When Jesus (I AM) was in the Burning Bush talking to Moses, in the original Hebrew, Jesus said He was the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob. So clearly, Elohim can be used in the singular. Because it makes no sense 3 natures of God was talking to Moses and calling themselves Elohim. We know it is Jesus because He said, I AM THAT I AM and confirmed it in the Gospel of John.
But that's how YOU see it.
I'm not saying you don't have a point at all though.
But God is One, like Jesus said, "i and the Father are One".

As far as i'm concerned, it's an unfathomable mystery who, what and how many YHWH Elohim is.
All i know is that He is the One True God, the Creator, who became flesh in Jesus Christ.

I'll go look up the lecture(s) on this topic by M. Heiser and post the link.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Hebrew:
Shemot (Exodus)

6 Moreover he said, I am the Elohim of thy father, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon Elohim.

Notice how this verse begins (HE SAID -singular)
Yes, it's often mixed up though.

I'll look up the lecture now.
Sorry i can only refer to that.
I'll botch the explanation and lack the Scripture locations if i try.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hieronymus,

Are you the brother in Christ of Peter - Phillip - Paul knowing how they baptized and was baptized?
I assume they water baptized like John the Baptists did.
I jumped in this topic about the Trinity, because the OP is about Nicea and many people have been made to believe they invented it.

Reactions: servantofiam
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
No it isn't.
There are different persons in the Old Testament who are God.
Sometimes they are present simultaneously.
...you're gonna ask for Bible verses...
And rightfully so, but i don't have them listed...
Unfortunately i can only refer you to lectures by Michael Heiser.
He's the expert and ancient languages buff.
But that's how YOU see it.
I'm not saying you don't have a point at all though.
But God is One, like Jesus said, "i and the Father are One".

As far as i'm concerned, it's an unfathomable mystery who, what and how many YHWH Elohim is.
All i know is that He is the One True God, the Creator, who became flesh in Jesus Christ.

I'll go look up the lecture(s) on this topic by M. Heiser and post the link.

I trust you and believe you. I am not hung up on these small insignificant interpretations. We both know God is triune. It's just how we define it that some how has created a divide between beliefs. But to say, I believe this way and then see people in the Bible like Peter - Phillip - Paul doing the opposite, does not mean they are now the enemy. They are our brothers in Christ!!

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe Tertullian was the first person to use the word "Trinity" for our Christian belief about God. That was long before Nicaea.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
I trust you and believe you. I am not hung up on these small insignificant interpretations. We both know God is triune. It's just how we define it that some how has created a divide between beliefs. But to say, I believe this way and then see people in the Bible like Peter - Phillip - Paul doing the opposite, does not mean they are now the enemy. They are our brothers in Christ!!

In the Book of Revelations, Yeshua revealed to John every Disciple has a gate represented for them in the New Jerusalem and there are 12 gates total. And this is after knowing how Peter baptized and was baptized. So clearly, Yeshua (Jesus) did not have a problem with what they were doing!!

Upvote 0