Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Piers Morgan is a well-known journalist and television personality who has spoken openly about his Catholic upbringing. "I don't go to confession, probably because it would take me too long." He said "there is not a lot" he feels guilty about. Morgan certainly doesn't seem to suffer from Catholic guilt, which has been defined as "excess guilt felt by Catholics and lapsed Catholics."

Madeleine Burgess penned an article titled, "Catholic Guilt is Complicated," in which she explains what she believes it takes to be "a certified Catholic." She wrote, "I've only occasionally believed in God and I wouldn't consider myself a religious person. Despite this, I've been baptized, had Communion, and been confirmed — meaning I'm a certified Catholic ... I go to church twice a year, on Easter and Christmas, to make my grandmother happy."

Catholic guilt tends to be rooted in compulsory religious rituals. Stressing over religious externals is a far cry from understanding the Gospel and having a warm personal relationship with the Lord. The only way to be delivered from Catholic guilt is to bring your sins directly to Jesus. You simply ask God to forgive you as you turn away from sin in sincere repentance, which I explained in my CP op-ed, "Going to Confession' Must Include Repentance and Renunciation of Sin."

Sadly, no one benefits from Catholic guilt. It does not come from the Holy Spirit and does not lead to righteous living. It merely bogs a person down in either works righteousness or spiritual apathy. God works in a person's heart to produce the appropriate kind of guilt necessary to be saved. Jesus said, "When the Holy Spirit comes, He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment" (John 16:8).

Continued below.

• Wow
Reactions: WarriorAngel

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟264,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I could get myself into trouble going in and posting. Tempting, it is.

SMH
It’s such an annoying stereotype. Society has lost their sense of sin and think anyone and everyone now goes to heaven regardless if they believe or not.

It’s a shame.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟486,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It’s such an annoying stereotype. Society has lost their sense of sin and think anyone and everyone now goes to heaven regardless if they believe or not.

It’s a shame.
Kinda true.
Protestants confess the sinners prayer and they are saved.
Except for some reason, Catholics, in their minds Catholics they are not saved.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟264,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Kinda true.
Protestants confess the sinners prayer and they are saved.
Except for some reason, Catholics, in their minds Catholics they are not saved.
Some Protestants do, such as Baptists or Evangelicals, some believe in entire sanctification which takes a lifetime.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟486,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some Protestants do, such as Baptists or Evangelicals, some believe in entire sanctification which takes a lifetime.
So they believe that they become perfect enough but what if they die young?

Upvote 0