Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please tell us how the Bible fails to teach us how to follow Christ. What is the message that we are missing?
My observation, is that we are all tainted by messages that do not originate from the bible, and until we purify ourselves of those doctrinal errors, we will continue to propagate those bad doctrines.

Non-Christians who are not prepared to accept things that make little sense, cannot find Christianity to be an acceptable practice because it does not represent truth as it's adherents claim, because those same adherents are themselves propagating untruths (albeit, wholeheartedly) in the name of God.

So, it is not the bible that fails to teach us how to follow Christ, it is the Christians who have not stuck to the narrow path of truth.

Now that the world is overwhelmingly full of them and the ones they have brought forth, most non-Christians are fed up with Christianity and with God too, but because belief in God requires faith, they can't really be fed up with God, they have to instead believe that He is not present.

This is how the bible fails, on it's own, to teach us how to follow Christ: those who are honest enough simply recoil at the very thought of opening it and learning from it, because it represents to them the origin of the greatest and most tragic hypocrisy: the root cause of all the problems in the world and the greatest abuse of authority imaginable.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please tell us how the Bible fails to teach us how to follow Christ. What is the message that we are missing?
Not sure what is meant by the question.

The Epistle to the Romans speaks at the beginning and ending of 'the obedience of faith' and 'obedience to the faith'. Following the Lord in obedience (Who was 'obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross' - Philippians 2), is a great part of the Biblical message.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not sure what is meant by the question.

The Epistle to the Romans speaks at the beginning and ending of 'the obedience of faith' and 'obedience to the faith'. Following the Lord in obedience (Who was 'obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross' - Philippians 2), is a great part of the Biblical message.
Sometimes people are anxious to answer the OP not realizing that it deals with Mormonism. I'm going to try to clarify that in my OPs after this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes people are anxious to answer the OP not realizing that it deals with Mormonism. I'm going to try to clarify that in my OPs after this.
Why do you wish to break bread with only a faction of the brethren?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I will be surprised if you get one.

I personally think they ought to based on their Book of Mormon statement:

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it[the Bible] goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13

Do you suppose all of them are indifferent to your possible stumbling? Please don't answer because it would require the ability to see each Mormon's heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
OK.

It's the 4th, meaning that most people are going to be away from their computers.

Why the impatience?

That being said -

One doesn't have to look far to see mainline Christians bashing each other senseless over what translation to use, major theological points derived from individual interpretations of single verses, and other such matters. And yes, I said "bashing each other senseless". I've seen people try to argue that the use of any translation other than their own personal favorite translation will send someone straight to Hell.

In contrast, the church holds that the expanded body of canon we have helps to put everything in context and make matters clearer by allowing for one to compare and study matters for themselves that way.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My observation, is that we are all tainted by messages that do not originate from the bible, and until we purify ourselves of those doctrinal errors, we will continue to propagate those bad doctrines.

Non-Christians who are not prepared to accept things that make little sense, cannot find Christianity to be an acceptable practice because it does not represent truth as it's adherents claim, because those same adherents are themselves propagating untruths (albeit, wholeheartedly) in the name of God.

So, it is not the bible that fails to teach us how to follow Christ, it is the Christians who have not stuck to the narrow path of truth.

Now that the world is overwhelmingly full of them and the ones they have brought forth, most non-Christians are fed up with Christianity and with God too, but because belief in God requires faith, they can't really be fed up with God, they have to instead believe that He is not present.

This is how the bible fails, on it's own, to teach us how to follow Christ: those who are honest enough simply recoil at the very thought of opening it and learning from it, because it represents to them the origin of the greatest and most tragic hypocrisy: the root cause of all the problems in the world and the greatest abuse of authority imaginable.

Mmmm putting that in the context of why the Book of Mormon was needed......or what was the Bible missing so we need the Book of Mormon.

It's not that the Bible is missing anything but that it has been miss read so the Book of Mormon helps clarify the need for the atonement. I find it helps me understand the why behind Heb 2 better.

Secondly in this modern world there are so many voices pulling at us saying there is no God, the Bible is false, this god of humanism is replacing man's faith in the one true Living God. The Lord knows everything from the beginning to the end and he saved this book to come forth now when we needed it more.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mmmm putting that in the context of why the Book of Mormon was needed......or what was the Bible missing so we need the Book of Mormon.

It's not that the Bible is missing anything but that it has been miss read so the Book of Mormon helps clarify the need for the atonement. I find it helps me understand the why behind Heb 2 better.

Secondly in this modern world there are so many voices pulling at us saying there is no God, the Bible is false, this god of humanism is replacing man's faith in the one true Living God. The Lord knows everything from the beginning to the end and he saved this book to come forth now when we needed it more.

1. The Book of Mormon says that "because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them." That sounds SERIOUS.

2. If the Lord could save the Book of Mormon (fiction, IMO), He could have saved the Bible.

Why do you say the atonement of Christ, as taught in the Bible, needs more explaining? Please address my question as to why the Bible is an insufficient guide to teach us how to follow Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
1. The Book of Mormon says that "because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them." That sounds SERIOUS.
This cherrypicked quote is trying to totally misrepresenting LDS theology here...
2. If the Lord could save the Book of Mormon (fiction, IMO), He could have saved the Bible.
Men have agency. Men can choose to abandon God. That's the key you're omitting out here.
Why do you say the atonement of Christ, as taught in the Bible, needs more explaining? Please address my question as to why the Bible is an insufficient guide to teach us how to follow Christ.
Los don't believe God stops talking, so you're question here is totally misleading.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I was singing the hymn I Stand all Amazed

“ I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died”

When I suddenly realized I didn’t know why he had to suffer and bleed and die for my sins, why should someone else pay for my sins, I did them I should be responsible for them.

Now find an answer using the Bible.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Men have agency. Men can choose to abandon God. That's the key you're omitting out here.
Why are the "men" of the BoM different than the "men" of the Bible? If both sets of "men" have agency, and the Bible "men" got it wrong, how do you know the "men" of the BoM got it right? How do you prove such a thing?

Upvote 0