In my mind.
✟18,609.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Me and my family just kinda "ended up" in a Non-Denominational Church, but that's just kinda been the type of Church we have always attended. As a matter of fact, only ONE Church we have ever attended as a family was part of a specific denomination (UCC.....eww lol) I think I'm good with Non-Denominational Churches because things are not dogmatic. A congregation has the opportunity to search through the scriptures and adjust their collective declared beliefs, without having to be confined to a specific belief, where you must leave the Church if you don't agree. Granted core doctrines should, and are never up for debate, but the other non-essentials, there is wiggle room.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Me and my family just kinda "ended up" in a Non-Denominational Church, but that's just kinda been the type of Church we have always attended. As a matter of fact, only ONE Church we have ever attended as a family was part of a specific denomination (UCC.....eww lol) I think I'm good with Non-Denominational Churches because things are not dogmatic. A congregation has the opportunity to search through the scriptures and adjust their collective declared beliefs, without having to be confined to a specific belief, where you must leave the Church if you don't agree. Granted core doctrines should, and are never up for debate, but the other non-essentials, there is wiggle room.

It's funny that you mention essentials.

When I still was at CAF (Catholic Answers Forum) I used to argue "hours" over the topic essentials. And they said to me that such a thing doesn't exist, as you can't put the finger into it.

"Who determines", they asked me, "which is essential and which is not".
And they said, "you use your faillable opinion to say what's essential and what not."

Now, what is "essential" for you? How would you answer such people?

Upvote 0

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been to one non-denominational church, it was not much different than an Assemblies of God denominational church. I believe this is probably for the most part true of non-denominational churches being much like a denominational church, depending on their particular doctrines.

When I'm asked what faith I am, I respond that I'm a Christian, then they always ask which Christian faith, and then I respond, I'm only a Christian.

Upvote 0

largeli

May 27, 2011
✟7,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think its good to have different denominations to suit different people. Some people thrive on and need certain type of structure, some people will flourish more in one environment than another. We all have different backgrounds and probably need to be immersed in one aspect more than others.....I dont see different denominations as different religions with different gods. I see it more as the same way I see that I cant teach and discipline my 3 children the same....One of my kids responds differently to a certain way of teaching, and the others might respond better to another way.

I visit the non-denomination board because I go to a foursquare church and theres no foursquare board.

I love my church but I know I could go to a baptist, or catholic church and worship Christ just the same.

Upvote 0

Searching_for_Christ

simul justus et peccator
Nov 14, 2009
In my mind.
✟18,609.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's funny that you mention essentials.

When I still was at CAF (Catholic Answers Forum) I used to argue "hours" over the topic essentials. And they said to me that such a thing doesn't exist, as you can't put the finger into it.

"Who determines", they asked me, "which is essential and which is not".
And they said, "you use your faillable opinion to say what's essential and what not."

Now, what is "essential" for you? How would you answer such people?
The problem is that a lot of Catholics and even a lot of Protestants think that Sola Scriptura is a "you and the bible" scenario, where you decided stuff on your own. I would answer that I interpret what a non-essential is by the rule of Faith. The rule of faith says that Christ is God, that the God-head is Triune...stuff like that, but the rule of faith has never had specific views on the end times, ect ;)

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that a lot of Catholics and even a lot of Protestants think that Sola Scriptura is a "you and the bible" scenario, where you decided stuff on your own. I would answer that I interpret what a non-essential is by the rule of Faith. The rule of faith says that Christ is God, that the God-head is Triune...stuff like that, but the rule of faith has never had specific views on the end times, ect ;)

Well said. But try to explain that a devout Catholic...
Because of a discussion with such a devout Catholic I got banned from Catholic Answers Forum... :(

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because of a discussion with such a devout Catholic I got banned from Catholic Answers Forum...

And this is what she has written back, one thread because I got banned (because I started writing what I believe to be NOT essential, and I think you can guess what I have written! ):

PRmerger from CAF said:
Now, can you please provide that list of "essentials" to which you referred?

Esdra said:
Believe in God, Jesus Christ, who has died for us on the cross so that we are freed and the Holy Spirit.
This is all ONE God.

I would say these are the essentials.

Jesus once had put it like this:

"34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
"
(Matthew 22:34-39; KJV)

And if you love your God, the one God, YHWH, you will worship Him and do what He has commanded us. ("15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. " John 14:15; KJV).
And all what He's commanded us to do is found in the Holy Bible. His Word. His love-letter to us humans.
(And this also includes loving your neighbour.)

in Christ,

PRMerger from CAF said:
This is a very curious and odd list.

You do not believe that belief in the Virgin Birth is an essential?

You do not believe that we must believe that "God created us" is an essential?

What about that we must repent in order to be saved? That is not an essential belief to you?

What about belief in the Trinity? Is that not essential?

And salvation by grace? Is that not an essential?

And here's a very peculiar thing you left off your list of essentials: THE RESURRECTION! You do not believe this to be essential?

Do you see, Esdra, how making a list of "essentials" is subject only to your man-made, fallible decisions. There are no verses in Scripture which tell you what is an "essential" belief and what is secondary.

In order for you to make your list you must use a tradition--your own fallible one, or maybe one your borrowed from another fallible preacher--but there is nothing in Scripture that tells you what is "essential" and what is not.

What do you think, brother?
Did i answer correctly?
And (and I think I'd be also a good idea to probably start another thread...) what would you now have answered?
Frankly, she drove me crazy, and thus I started to make a (anti-Catholic) list what I thought to be not essential. (see above)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

washedagain

Resting in the Palm of His Hand
Jul 11, 2011
Austin Tx
✟16,154.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because of a discussion with such a devout Catholic I got banned from Catholic Answers Forum... :(

Ya know... I have heard so many stories of Non Catholics getting banned over there. Does everyone eventually get banned there? I have personally never been to that site but I am part of a huge christian forum (maybe bigger than this one) and over and over and over again, I hear tales of non Catholics being banned there.

I do know it is epidemic at Steve Rays board. What is with all the banning simply because someone disagrees with you?

Anyway, I am attending a non denom simply because the church down the street is and that is where I go. So far, I have not ran into a teaching that I disagree with and I am going on 8 years there. Before that, I went to a Vineyard. It was good for my very young soul (baby christian) before that, I was a staunch, by the book, know your canon law, observe all holy days of obligation and receive your sacraments type of Catholic for 32 years.

Wow... God sure has a way of changing a person!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
H

HaveHope

I knew your user name looked familiar! I used to lurk on CAF a lot when I was first researching Catholicism, but I never posted. Obviously, I didn't decide to convert, although I did consider it. I noticed that a lot of people got banned from there, and there didn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some posters were tolerated better than others, and I never could figure out why. I hardly ever read there anymore.

Good to see you here!

And thanks to everyone for the continued replies! I'm enjoying reading the varied opinions on the subject. :)

Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first question should be what is denomination?

From wikipedia:
A religious denomination is a subgroup within a religion that operates under a common name, tradition, and identity.
The term describes various Christian denominations (for example, Eastern Orthodox, Anglicanism, and the many varieties of Protestantism)

Why I am non denomination? because I just tired with conflicting doctrine debates and causing conflicts. Christians should be mean Jesus followers right?

Reactions: Esdra
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My take on some of the comments I've read is that being non-denominational, isn't a rejection of denominational churches. It is a freeing from the man made structure of religion. What this means for me is where denominations hold to a set of doctrines, rituals and doctrines and require certain qualifications for membership; non-denominations churches don't center around doctrine. You could have 50 different movements all with individual churches with each church having it's own statement of faith and beliefs. The differences in doctrines are what the non-denominationals are standing against, not by saying , oh theese guys over here are wrong, and theese guys are wrong, but by focusing on the areas we do agree.

For instance I don't fully agree with my churches statement of faith with regards to belief in an eternal torment in hell for the unbelieving. That doesn't mean I'm not part of the church, or an active member in God's workforce. My own PERSONAL spiritual understanding of the scriptures is between me and God and doesn't qualify or disqualify me for service in God's Church. In a denominational Church that would get me booted out, but I can go to almost any non-denominational church and it's not about what we disagree on, it's about celebrating God, fellowship, growing sharing and understanding and what we agree on and what the Bible teaches us.

Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My take on some of the comments I've read is that being non-denominational, isn't a rejection of denominational churches. It is a freeing from the man made structure of religion. What this means for me is where denominations hold to a set of doctrines, rituals and doctrines and require certain qualifications for membership; non-denominations churches don't center around doctrine. You could have 50 different movements all with individual churches with each church having it's own statement of faith and beliefs. The differences in doctrines are what the non-denominationals are standing against, not by saying , oh theese guys over here are wrong, and theese guys are wrong, but by focusing on the areas we do agree.

For instance I don't fully agree with my churches statement of faith with regards to belief in an eternal torment in hell for the unbelieving. That doesn't mean I'm not part of the church, or an active member in God's workforce. My own PERSONAL spiritual understanding of the scriptures is between me and God and doesn't qualify or disqualify me for service in God's Church. In a denominational Church that would get me booted out, but I can go to almost any non-denominational church and it's not about what we disagree on, it's about celebrating God, fellowship, growing sharing and understanding and what we agree on and what the Bible teaches us.

well said :) but not fully agree with your not fully agreement with your church statement of faith regards to believe in eternal torment in hell for the unbelieving :D

Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As is your pervue. It's a point of conversation, discussion among theologians around here. There's never been one instance of it ever coming up unless me and the pastor talk apologetics. I've also never had my place in the Church doubted and I've seen plenty of fruit for God's labor through such an inadequate servant such as me. It never causes dissention or harsh spirits with anyone, so I don't see actually not agreeing 100% with every little dogma as any hinderance in God's church.

Upvote 0

Nurbz

Apr 6, 2007
✟8,607.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For me it is a rejection of church disunity and multiple denominational interpretations that are taught for any number of reasons. I went to a non-denominational school that had many different kinds there, and it was very politically involved (I was going during the whole clinton thing, oy). Because politics was involved, there was too much hypocrisy everywhere in staff, like the baptist principle who gave us yearly warnings about "The queers trying to convert you", to the students in how they treated others.

By graduation I was nearly an atheist, and the only thing keeping me spiritual is NOT associating with other followers in churches or in person... which is why I'm here. I'm not going to cause a fuss out and about anywhere, but I'm not going to be a part of it either. It's why I'm so touchy when people mix modern political dogma and motivations with Jesus and the bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For me it is a rejection of church disunity and multiple denominational interpretations that are taught for any number of reasons. I went to a non-denominational school that had many different kinds there, and it was very politically involved (I was going during the whole clinton thing, oy). Because politics was involved, there was too much hypocrisy everywhere in staff, like the baptist principle who gave us yearly warnings about "The queers trying to convert you", to the students in how they treated others.

By graduation I was nearly an atheist, and the only thing keeping me spiritual is NOT associating with other followers in churches or in person... which is why I'm here. I'm not going to cause a fuss out and about anywhere, but I'm not going to be a part of it either. It's why I'm so touchy when people mix modern political dogma and motivations with Jesus and the bible

I went to a blog where people who used to be christians left their faith and become atheist. One of the reason is caused by church disunity. Thank God you are not fall apart.

Regarding not associating with other followers in church or person, means you are not joining cell group or not having close relationship with them?

I understand your disappointment with churches. But building relationship with other christians also important.

I wrote in my blog about cell group if you would like to know more about cell group.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2011
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am non-denominational because I am eclectic-I do not believe any one group of God-believers have the whole answer to anything-

when we realize we are all on the same side, when we understand fully that uniformity of thought is not required though unity of purpose is-
may tolerance increase. :groupray:

Upvote 0

hagiazo7

Non-Denominational
Aug 3, 2011
✟7,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I'm just curious to hear some reasons why you all have chosen to be nondenominational. What are your thoughts on the various denominations? I am just trying to figure some stuff out as far as what church to go to and where Christ wants me, and it might help to get some perspective from Christians with more experience, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks!

You know, Jesus said a house divided against itself shall not stand. This is one of the reasons I choose to be nondenominational. It is man that splintered off into different groups ie. denominations.

Jesus also said if you tear down this temple (church) in three days I will build it again. The temple/church is Jesus Christs body. If you're in Jesus, you're in church. His church. Now how and where you choose to worship God, let that be between you and Jesus.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been all over the map on my journey to fellowship with Christ. I can only look to the New Testament and see how the first Christians worshiped, and it was simply in local congregations not bureaucratic man made denominations. Sadly, where I live, this all but eliminates the local "churches".

Upvote 0