Why must a church observe baptism and communion to be considered a church?

sccs

Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From a Biblical perspective, what makes a church a church? In addition to the worshipping of God, the assembly of the peoples and the equipping of the saints through faithful preaching of the Word, many also include the observing of the sacraments or ordinances, namely baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Why is the observation of these two sacraments/ordinances considered necessary for a church? If there was a house church that did not observe these sacraments, would they not be considered a church?

Conversely, is it possible to observe these sacraments outside of the context of a local church assembly? For example, at a wedding, during a family devotional, at a youth conference?

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This is just about every church has at least 2 of what is called sacraments/ordainnces Baptism and communion. But how communion is viewed varies from church to church.
The Book of Acts, describes that communion and baptism are the ordainances clearly assigned to the church (Acts 2:38, 46; Acts 8:37). Acts is the first place to look for sacraments.
Several restorationalist sects use the Book of Acts as their core instruction of how the Church runs, like the Church of God (Anderson, IN and the cultic offspring Restoration sect [not to be confused with the also cultic Armstrongnite Restored Church of God]), Torben Søndergaard's The Last Reformation movement, and the Hutterites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From a Biblical perspective, what makes a church a church? In addition to the worshipping of God, the assembly of the peoples and the equipping of the saints through faithful preaching of the Word, many also include the observing of the sacraments or ordinances, namely baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Why is the observation of these two sacraments/ordinances considered necessary for a church? If there was a house church that did not observe these sacraments, would they not be considered a church?

Conversely, is it possible to observe these sacraments outside of the context of a local church assembly? For example, at a wedding, during a family devotional, at a youth conference?

They're just rituals. I was baptized in a lake, not in a church, but I and the rest of the Pentecostal) church considered it valid. I think it is the intent of the act that counts, otherwise it's law.

Luke 22:14-20 says, "Now when the hour came, Jesus took his place at the table and the apostles joined him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” Then he took bread, and after giving thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And in the same way he took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." This all took place in a room in someone's home, not in a synagogue (and of course there were no churches). Jesus said "Do this in remembrance of me." Do what? Eat bread and drink wine together; there is nothing to indicate that the "meal" must be in a church.

It's not necessary to create a new law concerning sharing a meal together to remember our Lord.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Hello sccs,
Church isn't a building or a spot where one can "only" partake in Christ given or ordinances or commandments.

Church/assembly = Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words: Ordinance

[ B-1,Verb,G1379, dogmatizo ]
akin to A, No. 3, "to decree," signifies, in the Middle Voice, "to subject oneself to an ordinance," Colossians 2:20. In the Sept., Esther 3:9; in some texts, Daniel 2:13, Daniel 2:15.

[ A-3,Noun,G1378, dogma ]
is translated "ordinances" in Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14. See DECREE.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words: Decree
[ 1,,G1378, dogma ]
transliterated in English, primarily denoted an opinion or judgment" (from dokeo, "to be of opinion"), hence, an "opinion expressed with authority, a doctrine, ordinance, decree;" "decree," Luke 2:1; Acts 16:4; Acts 17:7; in the sense of ordinances, Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14. See ORDINANCE.

Matthew 28:19 Jesus said; go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
(NOTE: Here Jesus gives a decree/ordinance)

1 Corinthians 11:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
(NOTE: Here Jesus gives a ordinance/decree).

Christ gave 2 commandments: Love God 1st & love your fellow believer. Matt 22:37-40 & 2 ordinance/decrees posted above.

Believers should partake in both commandments & ordinance/decrees. No building or time frame restrictions should apply. IMO!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are some Christian denominations that observe no sacraments, the Quakers for example, and their congregations are considered to be churches by society and other denominations.

Of course. Catholic weddings, for instance, normally include Communion.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
They're just rituals. I was baptized in a lake, not in a church, but I and the rest of the Pentecostal) church considered it valid. I think it is the intent of the act that counts, otherwise it's law.
I was baptised in a very cold sea one New Year's eve back in the 70s.
I regularly take communion at the meal table or elsewhere.
I don't "go to church" but meet with various of the saints whenever I can.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure what you're really asking or what point you're making.

Baptism and the Lord's Supper (communion) are distinctly described in the New Testament (with Old Testament roots) as the only two commanded and most common sacraments of the early church. I would assert that a congregation that never observes both is not part of the same Body as the New Testament early Church.

However, not every type of meeting of members of a congregation need include either or both of baptism and Lord's Supper in order to be a meeting of the "church."

I should think both points are obvious from any reading of the New Testament, so I'm not sure what you're really asking or what point you're making.

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The Church is the Church because of Word and Sacrament. Without this there is no church. Because what distinguishes the church being the Church when it gathers vs simply a being a social gathering of like-minded people is the fact that here, right here in our midst, is Jesus Christ Himself. Christ Himself in His word, Christ Himself in the bread and wine of the Supper, Christ Himself in the waters of Holy Baptism. Without Christ, the Head of the Body, the Chief Cornerstone, the Author and Finisher of our faith, there is no Church.

That isn't to say that Christ isn't present in us through our faith, through the Spirit, through our love of one another, and in our good works in the world. But that the reason for coming together is Jesus, because Jesus promises to be here, promises Himself to us through His Word and Sacraments.

Praying is good, but praying isn't what defines church--we can pray alone in the closet and it would be valid prayer.

Singing is good, but singing isn't what defines church--we can sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs in honor of God by ourselves at any time. But that's not church.

Church is the Ekklesia, the Assembly, the Gathering of Christians in Jesus, around Jesus, because Jesus is present here in our gathering through the Means He has instituted, given, and promised.

Note, that the issue here isn't a matter of frequency. Obviously we don't have a Baptism service every time we gather; and at many times throughout history the receiving of the Lord's Supper has been frequent and infrequent. So it's not frequency, but rather, that these things are built into the very fabric of what we are about, who we are as God's people, what it is that we are doing.

The word liturgy comes from the Greek leitougia, meaning "the people's work" or "a public act", it describes the coming together and what it is we are doing when we gather; and the heart and soul of that leitourgia is that we are receiving God's gifts (Word and Sacrament), celebrating these things, and offering in response our thanks, praise, and offering our Amen to God. We are con-fessing Jesus Christ and all that He has done, to confess is literally to "fess together" to speak together, to come together and agree and affirm and believe the same thing: saying Amen to God's Word to us--His Word being Jesus Christ our Lord who saves us. Who gives us faith right here through Word and Sacrament, through the preaching of the Gospel, through the Holy Supper, through the words of absolution that we are forgiven on Christ's account.

Thus there is salvation here. Life here. And that's because Christ is here, in His Word and Sacraments.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe that from 1 Cor 11:20--and verse 25 is called a MEMORIAL and verse 27 says that if you eat in an UNWORTHY MANNER will be GUILTY and BLOOD of the Lord .

Verse 27 Let a man examine Himself .

Verse 29 EATING and DRINKING in and UNWORTY MANN ER

Verse many SLEEP , means DIE .

But for me WATER BAPTISM is Out for me and in Eph 4:5 sys , ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISMA , is the Greek here , and not BAPTIZO .

That one BPTISMA , is a NOUN , a person , called the HOLY SPIRIT .

BAPTISMA is used 22 times from MATTHEW , through 1 Peter 3:21 .

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 1, 2024
Massachusetts
✟8,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced

Forget about the word "church" and instead think of the correct translation of the Greek word "ekklesia". Ekklesia means gathered or called out and assembled. The ekklesia of Jesus Christ are those that follow Him, have faith in Him, and as a result are obedient to Him. Jesus called out His early disciples, and by the power of the Holy Spirit all disciples thereafter have been called out of the world. As a result, we gather in His name to honor and glorify and obey Him. When Jesus commanded His 1st century disciples to go into the world and baptize believers, believers were baptised. And that command has not been rescinded. Baptism is a command, and being Baptised is a sign of faith and obedience to the One who saved us.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0