Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BOOK PICK: Anthony Esolen powerfully defends masculinity, femininity, virtue and the family.

NO APOLOGIES

WHY CIVILIZATION DEPENDS ON THE STRENGTH OF MEN

Anthony Esolen

Regnery, 2022

204 pages, $30

To order: ewtnrc.com

A generation of boys in America are being taught that masculinity is something to be embarrassed and ashamed about. Masculinity is “toxic,” they are told. Professor Anthony Esolen, one of the most proficient Catholic social commentators in America, has written a book to counter that nonsensical narrative. It is titled: No Apologies: Why Civilization Depends on the Strength of Men.

If you are unfamiliar with his writing, you should know that to read Esolen is to audit a course on the Western canon. In No Apologies, Esolen appeals to Homer, Cicero, Dante, Milton, Shakespeare and Dickens to illustrate his points. For instance, Esolen appeals to The Tempest for an insight into the necessity of hierarchy in society: “Shakespeare shows us as much in the first scene of The Tempest, a scene that most critics have ignored, considering it as just a vehicle to introduce a few of the main characters and to have them stranded on an unknown isle. But it is a deft analysis of what a well-governed society looks like, a society governed by interwoven hierarchies.”

Continued below.

Reactions: LizaMarie

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like a good book. Good synopsis, and I agree that the answer to our ills is right in front of our noses. 15 or 20 years ago I read similar books, mostly written by Christians.
This kind of writing is very politically incorrect these days, enough to get you branded a bigot or misogynist.
Anyone read the privilege of being a woman by Alice von Hildebrand?
I did, such a good book.

Upvote 0