Why is the phenomenon of "Has been" so prevalent in American Society?(Concrete Examples Inside)

Marcel_Prix

Oct 22, 2022
Chicago
✟18,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

This is one area of American Society that's interesting and different from other societies around the world. I will point out to Drake Bell, now he has been shrouded in controversy, however, the whole, "Has been" happened to him before his controversy.

Drake Bell is a actor and singer from California who became famous with a children's show Drake and Josh.

In Mexico and Latin America:
Young kids watched his show and became fans. He obviously toured there.

In the US: Young kids also watched and became fans of his. He toured all throughout America.

However, it seems in Latin America most people who "grew up" kept listening to his music and eventually he made it to #4 in the Billboard Mexico charts. Meanwhile, in the US he became less and less popular, his top charting album was #81. Moreover, it seems that as life went his original fans, "Moved on." And the new generation likes other artists.

I think there's a lot going on, but I'd like to hear your take. This is just one example but I have many others.

When I asked people they told me, "His fans moved from the big city like LA to the suburbs" and became "adults." Thereby no longer interested in his products.

I'd like to add that even in the UK which is also protestant and English speaking it seems artists are able to keep their popularity once they become popular while in America this isn't the case. For instance, bands from the 90's like Mercury Rev and Pavement are still able to be somewhat popular there. Since Rock music remains popular, while it America it seems people moved on to the next trend/fad.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think Americans are taught subconsciously that seeming "adult" or "cool" is important. We probably place things into the camp of "for adults" or "for kids" more than others do. Many Americans believe if it's animated, it's for kids. Japan would obviously disagree. Something tied to this perhaps is that musical numbers are fairly rare in American movies outside of Disney. We stopped "Singin' In the Rain" culturally, while Bollywood embraces singing and dancing.

Also, America is a proven testing ground for launching trends. If they can popularize it here, they can usually get it popular globally. We might get bombarded with advertising and marketing more than others. Many Americans could get caught up in the newest thing just because it's all around us.

Reactions: Marcel_Prix
Upvote 0

Marcel_Prix

Oct 22, 2022
Chicago
✟18,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think Americans are taught subconsciously that seeming "adult" or "cool" is important. We probably place things into the camp of "for adults" or "for kids" more than others do. Many Americans believe if it's animated, it's for kids. Japan would obviously disagree. Something tied to this perhaps is that musical numbers are fairly rare in American movies outside of Disney. We stopped "Singin' In the Rain" culturally, while Bollywood embraces singing and dancing.

Also, America is a proven testing ground for launching trends. If they can popularize it here, they can usually get it popular globally. We might get bombarded with advertising and marketing more than others. Many Americans could get caught up in the newest thing just because it's all around us.
Great answer.

I'm wondering why do you think America is a very "fad orientated" culture? For instance, I notice that there's usually small communities of music or tv show, but somehow from time to time, these communities get "scooped up" by the mainstream. Then they became massively popular only for their popularity to fade a few years after. The same with fashion like a "sneaker" will become very popular but this popularity will wane after 1-3 years. You'll see some bands who were very popular but then after a few years be small timers playing at bars in America. However, they still maintain their popularity in Japan and other places.

Is there a religious reason behind this does Protestantism have any influence? What does it mean for Protestantism to be "future orientated"?

Also good insight on the whole, "musicals" why do you think this happens? For example, it seems people are always looking for "darker" "edgier stuff" which means violence. While many other content is deemed as "camp"..etc.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Great answer.

I'm wondering why do you think America is a very "fad orientated" culture? For instance, I notice that there's usually small communities of music or tv show, but somehow from time to time, these communities get "scooped up" by the mainstream. Then they became massively popular only for their popularity to fade a few years after. The same with fashion like a "sneaker" will become very popular but this popularity will wane after 1-3 years. You'll see some bands who were very popular but then after a few years be small timers playing at bars in America. However, they still maintain their popularity in Japan and other places.

Is there a religious reason behind this does Protestantism have any influence? What does it mean for Protestantism to be "future orientated"?

Also good insight on the whole, "musicals" why do you think this happens? For example, it seems people are always looking for "darker" "edgier stuff" which means violence. While many other content is deemed as "camp"..etc.
I think American culture moves very fast. That's why musicians will reinvent themselves often to stay relevant. But people won't always like the change, or some bands won't want to change. Then they may decide to use their current fame in another country that's not as accelerated as America's. Like here, you got to run really fast or get left in the dust.

Hmm, I'm not sure about religion being part of it. Maybe Catholicism has a more centered culture with the Pope and canonizing saints officially... where in Protestantism it can be a free for fall, since there is no clear cultural direction, and anyone can vie for influence.

The violent aspect could have some relationship to the competitive nature of America. Success in America is on a whole other level compared to success in other countries. Like Tom Cruise making potentially 200 million for Top Gun: Maverick because he's supposed to get part of the box office. But there's only so much room at the top.

Reactions: Marcel_Prix
Upvote 0