Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
That just a few, um, overzealous anti-Catholics leave such a bad taste in our mouths for all Protestants? That is my biggest problem. I know that not every Protestant is anti-Catholic and contentious, yet I want to lump them all in the same group. That is so bad of me!

Like on this board - there are several of our Protestant brothers and sisters who are genuinely interested in sharing the faith with us - and putting any differences aside. Then, there are those who want to rim-wreck what good has been done by focusing on one tiny little difference between our beliefs and theirs. Do they do that with other Protestants who don't believe the same way they do? I just don't get it!!! :scratch: Back when I was Protestant, I didn't know about Catholicism, but I respected Catholics' beliefs. It didn't matter to me what they were, as long as they believed in Christ, were baptized (with water), and went about living their lives right. I didn't cut down certain denominations for not being spiritual enough, others for relying too heavily on a certain translation of the Bible, some for singing too much, and others for not praying enough!!! It doesn't really matter!!! :mad: I'm a little less tolerant now, if a Catholic doesn't want to submit themselves to the teachings of the Church, I don't agree and think they should pray to be able to accept the teaching. And, I wish that we could all (Protestants and Catholics) be a unified body of Christ, but that's a long way away... :(

Grrr!!!! Anyway.... thanks for letting me vent. I can't wait until I finish my CHSS courses so I can join you guys in the trenches - defending my faith eloquently against the attacks. Until then - :bow: - thanks for all you do!

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Take heart. Both of you. :)

Msg boards are like rollercoasters. Up, down, up, down. I have had to take some really big emotional steps back in the last week or two. I have, praise God, found peace again through Him. I can rest in my mind that there is nothing I say here that I wouldn't say to anyone in person. I know that there are alot of people who prefer to use msg boards because of the impersonal and hit-n-run opportunity it presents. They enjoy the ability to be extremely confrontational without having to deal with an actual real person looking them in the face.

Just let it go. If you see something that lights your fuse, PM me or the other mods and then step away from the keyboard keeping your hands in sight at all times. :D ( My hubby's a cop. ;) )

Peace to you both.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>That just a few, um, overzealous anti-Catholics

I am not trying to attack anyone. But I have noticed a few overzealous Catholics along the way, who are pretty dogmatic about what they believe. Catholics maybe persecuted, but that maybe because some of the conservative Catholics are so aggressive to promote their beliefs. In other words, what goes around comes around, or as Paul said, do not be deceived, you will reap what you sow. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by JohnR7
Catholics maybe persecuted, but that maybe because some of the conservative Catholics are so aggressive to promote their beliefs.

John,

It is not what we believe, as in personal belief. It's what our Church TEACHES.

Again, the example I have used over and over: You wouldn't see a Baptist starting a thread, "I'm a good Baptist, and I don't see why the Baptist Church insists on baptizing people by immersion. I think people should have a choice!"

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
>>That just a few, um, overzealous anti-Catholics

I am not trying to attack anyone. But I have noticed a few overzealous Catholics along the way, who are pretty dogmatic about what they believe. Catholics maybe persecuted, but that maybe because some of the conservative Catholics are so aggressive to promote their beliefs. In other words, what goes around comes around, or as Paul said, do not be deceived, you will reap what you sow. Thanks, JohnR7
There's the rub, John. We aren't promoting our beliefs. We aren't here to evangelize or convert because we already consider Protestant churches to be Christian. We are defending our beliefs against the misunderstandings and lies that ARE being promoted about our faith. If we get overzealous and aggressive, it is because we feel that our explanations and responses are being ignored or skimmed or twisted. And, of course Catholics are dogmatic about their beliefs. Because we believe them to be true. :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Jeff:

It's not about collecting brownie points, Hon. Never has been. You defend your faith by talking about what it means to you. It's just a crying shame that sometimes around here, it ends up as a fistfight, or a "King of the Hill" type argument, where you gain ground by stepping on the other guy's beliefs.

You correct mistakes about your OWN faith, don't throw rocks at others. And quite honestly, you've done a wonderful job of just that. So pat yourself on the back!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>It is not what we believe, as in personal belief. It's what our Church TEACHES.

Well, here we go. Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit would teach us all things. Even in our Bible school, we are taught how to work with the Holy Spirit. He is the spirit of grace and truth, and apart from the Holy Spirit, no one can be saved. Our job is not really to teach people, our job it to lead them to the Teacher. Thanks, JohnR7

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Upvote 0
>>It is not what we believe, as in personal belief. It's what our Church TEACHES.

Well, here we go. Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit would teach us all things.
If you keep Jesus's commandments. The chief role of the Church is to tell us what those are (though they are of course in the Scriptures) and to aid our growth into keeping them though the graces She offers.

So, you are right. The role of the Church is to lead us to the Teacher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, here we go. Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit would teach us all things. Even in our Bible school, we are taught how to work with the Holy Spirit. He is the spirit of grace and truth, and apart from the Holy Spirit, no one can be saved.

"Well, here we go."

What is that supposed to mean?

The Church is LED by the Holy Spirit in its teachings. Please don't pick apart what you don't understand.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Avila
. Then, there are those who want to rim-wreck what good has been done by focusing on one tiny little difference between our beliefs and theirs. Do they do that with other Protestants who don't believe the same way they do? I just don't get it!!! :scratch:

All that I can tell you is.......yes. Some do. And it is not limited to protestants....I was once called a heretic and a heathen by a priest in a Catholic church I attended! :eek: Arguementiveness has no denominational lines. I have been on a forum where people argue over baptism in Jesus' name only versus baptism in the name of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I have seen endless debates over tongues and all that goes with it. I have seen people come to verbal blows over whether hymns or contemporary songs are of God. Churches have split over what interpretation of the bible to use. I have been told six ways til sunday all the ways I am not a good enough Christian and by evidence of _______ (fill in the blank) I am not really saved. :rolleyes:

The Body of Christ is still in the perfecting phase. Sometimes the mouth thinks its the brain.....and there are reasons the feet are so far away from the nose! :D (ok, bad analogy....) Seriously....we are all flawed human beings with sin natures. That enables us to get into all kinds of controversies that are not truly salvation issues.

Thats also why Paul says in Titus:

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.

Easier said than done, though.

Don't despair. We are being changed from glory to glory, and we are being made holy....

Hebrews 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Praise God! :)

Blessings,
Tammy

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by susabean
Sometimes the mouth thinks its the brain.....and there are reasons the feet are so far away from the nose! :D (ok, bad analogy....) Seriously....we are all flawed human beings with sin natures. That enables us to get into all kinds of controversies that are not truly salvation issues.

Hey, can we make that into a T-shirt?

It wasn't a bad analogy, it was PERFECT.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>"Well, here we go."
>>What is that supposed to mean?

IT means that you are starting something, and then your going to complain about it later. "Why are they always picking on me?" Because you set yourself up for it.

>>The Church is LED by the Holy Spirit in its teachings.

Just what is the "Church" and what scripture in the Bible are you going to use to back it up?

>>Please don't pick apart what you don't understand.

Now your going to insult me. Act like I am ignorant. But you do not want me to get angry and attack you or your church. AGAIN, your setting yourself up. If you do not want people to attack you or your church, then do not set yourself up for it. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.