Why Is It So Hard for People To Believe God Created the Earth?

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth? We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically. It is infallible. Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.

So with this overwhelming evidence, why is it so hard for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth? Why are people so quick to believe in a theory that Darwin himself didn't even believe in? Why cannot people see that evolution, despite its evidence (but no real proof), is simply a THEORY of origins?

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
SackLunch said:
I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth? We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically. It is infallible. Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.

Because other people say the exact same thing about their religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

Heather S.

Jun 25, 2005
✟266.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You can tell us all day long that the Bible is perfect, but that doesn't make it so without any evidence. Can you provide any?

why does the bible call bats birds? Definately not God's best work.
On that note, what about the 4-legged insects? Or the rabbits that chew their cud? And let's not forget the crazy creation story, or the fact that most of the stories have been proven wrong.

And I can't believe you went the "Evolution is just a theory" route. Piece of advice: grab a basic biology book and flip to the chapter on scientific theories and principles.

Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth? We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically. It is infallible.

As a Christian, you should know better than to say that the bible itself is infallible. God is infallible; the bible is the recording of what God says which has not only been retranslated but reinvisoned several times over. We worship God, not the bible.

Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.

The controversy itself is that it is not always 100% accurate.

So with this overwhelming evidence, why is it so hard for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth? Why are people so quick to believe in a theory that Darwin himself didn't even believe in? Why cannot people see that evolution, despite its evidence (but no real proof), is simply a THEORY of origins?

Nonsense.

1. You are equating evolution to atheism. Clearly I am an exception to the rule, and I am hardly alone.
2. Darwin's disbelief in his own theory was but a myth, surely you know that. Besides, it has no impact on whether it's true or not.
3. You are misusing the term theory.
4. Evidence... is proof.

Upvote 0

DrunkenWrestler

Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.
Dec 20, 2003
$1 reject store
✟10,355.00
Faith
Atheist
Why are people so quick to believe in a theory that Darwin himself didn't even believe in?
Ad hominem.

Why cannot people see that evolution, despite its evidence (but no real proof), is simply a THEORY of origins?
Gravity hasn't been proven, it's only a theory.

Upvote 0

rjw

Mar 2, 2004
✟1,624.00
Faith
Atheist
SackLunch said:

Gidday SackLunch,

It ain’t that simple.

SackLunch said:
I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth?

Is it also easy for you to believe that stormy oceans are quelled because God locks them behind doors, or it rains because God says “rain on earth – and so it does”, or that fetuses grow because God stitches them together etc.?

SackLunch said:
We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically.

Hey, a good historical novel can also be proven scientifically, historically and archaeologically.

There is one theory amongst several, that you have a line of human ancestors stretching back to Adam and Eve. Care to prove it?

SackLunch said:
It is infallible.

It was meeting a group of Christians some 30 years ago who believed likewise but held contrary views to my own Christian beliefs which were also based on the idea of an inerrant Bible, who “convinced” me that this notion of infallibility makes no sense.

SackLunch said:
Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.

Of course it is 100% accurate and trustworthy. But then so is any good historical novel – providing you ignore the inconvenient and accept the convenient.

Have you asked people of other faiths if the Bible is exactly what you say? Do you accept their faiths because they make similar claims to you?

SackLunch said:
So with this overwhelming evidence, why is it so hard for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth?

See above.

SackLunch said:
Why are people so quick to believe in a theory …

How do you know that we are quick to believe ToE? You are just guessing aren’t you!

SackLunch said:
… that Darwin himself didn't even believe in?

That’s odd. Have you ever read Darwin’s work? Or did someone just tell you this and you accepted it?

SackLunch said:
Why cannot people see that evolution, despite its evidence (but no real proof), is simply a THEORY of origins?

Most of us do. I do. It is only a theory of origins. But then many of our meteorological theories are theories of origins. Many of our medical theories are theories of origins. Science is essentially a set of theories.

So exactly what is your point SackLunch?

Regards, Roland

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
SackLunch said:
I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth?
It isn't. In fact, a lot of people believe in a God who created the world. What is HARD to understand is what creationists assert - that the Earth and everything in it was created in a manner that is clearly contradicted by the findings of multiple branches of science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mistermystery

Here's looking at you kid
Apr 19, 2004
✟5,275.00
Faith
Atheist
SackLunch said:
There are enough Christians in the world who believe that created by the use of the Big bang and evolution as His tool.

We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically.
The book and nature are not in dispute. Your interpretation of it however is fallible, and if I geuss correctly, allready has been falsified.

So with this overwhelming evidence,
heh. Oh come on, is that the best creationists nowadays try? Sorry, but that's not going to cut it here. Arguments from autority are a fallacy.

Why are people so quick to believe in a theory that Darwin himself didn't even believe in?
The theory of evolution does not have anything to do with the creation of the Earth, and Darwin's "recantment" is nowadays not even being used by AIG.

You seem to be confused and (if you don't mind me saying this) uneducated on the basics of science. Science isn't about proof, it's about evidence and eventual falsifications (if possible).

Also, you seem to imply that you don't know the word theory. Read a local dictionary and tell me what it says. (p.s. try www.dictionary.com )

Upvote 0

JoshDanger

Aug 9, 2005
✟7,722.00
Faith
Agnostic
SackLunch said:
Because there is absolutely no evidence of intelligent design and plenty of physical evidence for more plausable answers.
We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically. It is infallible. Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.
This is just dead wrong. The bible is the opposite of scientific, there is hardly any corroborating historical evidence for it. Sure, there is some archeological evidence. Jerusalem is there, so is Eqypt. That means little.
This is, once again, dead wrong. The myth that Darwin recanted has been debunked, it was started by his Christian nurse. Darwin was very much a Christian before his trip on the H.M.S. Beagle. He was set up to be a minister in fact. After his trip, he admitted that he would have to reconsider many of his beliefs. Please stop propagating this lie.

Also, to help you in understanding why some people have trouble believing in God, I have taken your post and changed some key variable.:

I'm just wondering. Why is it SO HARD for people to believe that the great pink dragon Marmaduke created the Heavens and Earth? We have all the evidence we need in a collection of oral tradition, folk lore, and witness letters written many years after the fact, all of which dubious in origin. It is infallible. Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well. Of course, the Pink Dragon is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.

Upvote 0

In A Perfect World

Jun 19, 2005
CT
✟17,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
because it doesn't make any sense to me and the world can be better explained by theories, even if they are changed down the road? Better to pave the road slowly as you go along than pave a highway all at once and have it cracked when its 100 degrees outside?

Upvote 0

one love

Dec 17, 2003
clear lake tx
Visit site
✟1,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
z3ro said:
And pi is exactly three.
Frink.gif

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/pseudosc/pibible.htm

The most famous episode took place in the 19th century, when the legislature of Iowa supposedly considered a resolution to make pi legally equal to 3, based on the Biblical passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
SackLunch said:
Its not hard to believe such
Its ridiculously easy
As long as one is willing to purposefully reject empirical evidence.
SackLunch said:
We have all the evidence we need in a Book that has been proven scientifically, historically, and archaeologically. It is infallible.
It's highly fallible
For those people that say that it's infallible and non-contradictory, they are reading into the scriptures, they are applying various eisegesis perspectives to the scriptures...plain and simple
SackLunch said:
Therefore it can be trusted for its prophetic and spiritual aspects as well.
No it cant
SackLunch said:
Of course, the Bible is controversial. But it is 100% accurate and trustworthy.
No it isnt
Even CHRISTIANS vehemently disagree on various "doctrines" that are supposedly evident on a "plain reading" of scripture

SackLunch said:
So with this overwhelming evidence, why is it so hard for people to believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth?
When christians, who base their beliefs on the Bible, cant even agree regarding the requirements for salvation, why should we believe anything else they believe?
Quite frankly, the requirements for salvation are, IMO, far MORE important than how the world was created. Unfortunately, christians cant even agree on this MOST IMPORTANT point.
I dont give much credence to their creation hypothesis
SackLunch said:
Source?
Please make sure you dont quote mine (ie take out of context) your source when you quote him
SackLunch said:
We do see that
However, YOU misunderstand what a scientific theory actually IS

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,549.00
Faith
Seeker
I was brought up to treat the old testament in the same way as santa claus. Literal creation sounds like a crackpot theory to me before I even start considering evidence.

As an aside I don't think it is fair to discuss pi=3 since creationists never have pushed this issue, It is brought up by there attackers.

Upvote 0

leccy

Dec 9, 2004
✟8,088.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
SackLunch said:

Most of the other points seem to have already been dealt with but I haven't seen anyone point out that the Theory of Evolution as proposed by Charles Darwin does not cover the creation of the heavens and the Earth.

The fact that you use the terms "proof" and "simply a THEORY" shows that you have some fundamental misunderstandings about science and how it is conducted.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Sack Lunch, did Jesus ever say anyting about the Bible? Did He carry a bible with him? There certainly was not a New Testament in His time, even the Old Testament did not exist in its current form. WOuld you not be able to believe in God without the bible? The bible is merely a book, a creation of man.

ANd which bible is the perfect one? The Catholic bible, or maybe the Coptic Bible, or perhaps the Easter Orthodox bible, the King James version?

Upvote 0