✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Is it written clearly in the bible that fornication is a sin, no doubt about this.
But the question is why is it a sin ?
If two fully grown responsible financially stable adults decide to fornicate what could go wrong ?
They say unwanted pregnancy ? Wel take birth control pill and use condom, unwanted pregnancy won't happen.
They say STD, well get tested first before being intimate.
They say if you are intimate and then decide to breakup it will hurt, well it will hurt those two people only, what if the two people are fully aware of this and still decide to do it, no pain no gain they say ? no risk no pain no reward they say ?

Br,

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟199,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I would say to look at the potential downsides of fornication. I'm going to ignore STDs entirely, because good people get horrific diseases as well, even though this one is avoidable (except maybe for rape):

1.) Sex with another person's spouse. It is quite apparent in history that this has actually caused wars and the lives of thousands of people. The higher in power you are of course, the more serious the consequences, but still this has caused murders, fights, injuries animosities even if only between two people.
2.) Potential pregnancies are still possible (albeit rare) when birth control is used. Despite that, if it were not a problem, you wouldn't have thousands of abortions every day. (Therefore, as per #1, deaths still occur as a direct result of uncommitted sex.)
3.) Marriage is designed to protect children, who are much more likely to be well-formed citizens if they have two balanced parents to raise them.
4.) Genealogy. This isn't particularly important to people it seems today, but in ancient times it was deemed very important to know your tribe or nationality. A child who thinks he has one parent, and finds out one day that his father (in most cases) is someone different can feel all sorts of negative emotions and stress because of it. (Finding out your real parent is a psycho or something obviously can be bad too, but I'm trying to stay on topic.)
5.) I don't necessarily think that a piece of paper from your local jurisdiction is a particularly relevant fix. That's just government meddling in something that should be between you, your partner and God. Consider a "Blue Lagoon" type scenario where there is no governmental institution available. (I never saw the movie, so this is just a reference) If two people commit to each other for life, then they are de-facto married. The real problem with relationships is how easily they can be broken up today. So the intimacy may not cause the problem, but the lack of any real commitment from one or the other will cause a problem at some point, regardless of children. This could really happen even if the two were married, and one of them doesn't value the commitment.

So my answer is, not that sex with a willing partner is a sin, but rather that sex without a commitment (with or without documents) is a sin. And divorce without a clear breach by the other partner is a sin.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I would say to look at the potential downsides of fornication. I'm going to ignore STDs entirely, because good people get horrific diseases as well, even though this one is avoidable (except maybe for rape):

1.) Sex with another person's spouse. It is quite apparent in history that this has actually caused wars and the lives of thousands of people. The higher in power you are of course, the more serious the consequences, but still this has caused murders, fights, injuries animosities even if only between two people.
2.) Potential pregnancies are still possible (albeit rare) when birth control is used. Despite that, if it were not a problem, you wouldn't have thousands of abortions every day. (Therefore, as per #1, deaths still occur as a direct result of uncommitted sex.)
3.) Marriage is designed to protect children, who are much more likely to be well-formed citizens if they have two balanced parents to raise them.
4.) Genealogy. This isn't particularly important to people it seems today, but in ancient times it was deemed very important to know your tribe or nationality. A child who thinks he has one parent, and finds out one day that his father (in most cases) is someone different can feel all sorts of negative emotions and stress because of it. (Finding out your real parent is a psycho or something obviously can be bad too, but I'm trying to stay on topic.)
5.) I don't necessarily think that a piece of paper from your local jurisdiction is a particularly relevant fix. That's just government meddling in something that should be between you, your partner and God. Consider a "Blue Lagoon" type scenario where there is no governmental institution available. (I never saw the movie, so this is just a reference) If two people commit to each other for life, then they are de-facto married. The real problem with relationships is how easily they can be broken up today. So the intimacy may not cause the problem, but the lack of any real commitment from one or the other will cause a problem at some point, regardless of children. This could really happen even if the two were married, and one of them doesn't value the commitment.

So my answer is, not that sex with a willing partner is a sin, but rather that sex without a commitment (with or without documents) is a sin. And divorce without a clear breach by the other partner is a sin.
I am not talking about adultery, but fornication between two single person. Unwanted pregnancy can be avoided if condom and pill is used. You havent answered why fornication is a sin.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟199,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not talking about adultery, but fornication between two single person. Unwanted pregnancy can be avoided if condom and pill is used. You havent answered why fornication is a sin.

Because fornication leads to adultery. You've committed to a partner through sex, and regardless of what you've agreed to between yourselves, the act always leads always leads to different levels of emotional feelings between each other. You may have agreed to uncommitted sex, but many times the feelings of one or the other are different after you are intimate. If, at some time later you want to have a committed relationship, then sex won't mean the same thing that it would have otherwise.

I don't know if you're asking this question because you're thinking about it and don't like the restriction or have already done it, and are seeking to justify it in your own mind. Nevertheless, the Bible regards the ideal to be committed relationships.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Is it written clearly in the bible that fornication is a sin, no doubt about this.
If two fully grown responsible financially stable adults decide to fornicate what could go wrong ?
They say unwanted pregnancy ? Wel take birth control pill and use condom, unwanted pregnancy won't happen.
They say if you are intimate and then decide to breakup it will hurt, well it will hurt those two people only, what if the two people are fully aware of this and still decide to do it, no pain no gain they say ? no risk no pain no reward they say ?

Br,
Marriage for life is the will of God. This union is solidified through consummation. If consummation occurs before marriage then it is a sin. Now why is it a sin ? Lineage. Without marriage there is no Lineage just an endless string of humans born with no identity in a family unit. Second to that is commitment and accountability. It is God's will that marriage is a commitment for life and that people do not move from one relationship to another with no consequences. And third , the most important, is " one flesh". God created man and woman to become one flesh. This can not be accomplished if there is no commitment or accountability. So circling back to fornication...it is the catalyst for the demise of God's will .
( my two cents)
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It could be taking a shortcut . . . getting into the physical intimacy without really learning how to love and share with each other.

And if you really trust each other, enough to have sex, why not marry? And in case someone is not a person you admire and trust enough for marriage, why get so involved with that person?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Br,
Fornication is considered a sin because it goes against God's intended plan and design for human sexuality as He defined in Genesis 2:18-25. (one man/one woman)

It is designed to keep the family unit in tact. God wants all relationships (with Him and with others) to be built on integrity ... not just within intimate (sexual relationships in marriage) but also in friendships in general.

well it will hurt those two people only,

Not so. The breakdown of the family unit effects all of society ... especially if children are involved.

Even so without children .... we are not to hurt one another in any way, physically or emotionally period (marriage or not) ... to do so is sinful ... because it is not Love. God is love. We were made in His image to love one another and not hurt one another in ANY way.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Br,
I think you need to enjoy reading scripture. Learn to harmonize it together.

It is sin because God says it is sin. No sex outside of Husband and Wife. Period.

Peace and Blessings.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you need to enjoy reading scripture. Learn to harmonize it together.

It is sin because God says it is sin. No sex outside of Husband and Wife. Period.

Peace and Blessings.
I know it is written in the bible, it is a sin, but thing is why ?

Upvote 0