Why is everyone so hooked on controversy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I understand that controversy can be more engaging at times, but there are many uncontroversial subjects out there that can be equally as interesting. For example, I was going through random videos on youtube earlier today and I came across a very interesting and inspiring story. Check this out and tell me if you think it is less interesting than some of these controversial topics.

What is there to discuss? The video is very nice, but what's the point of talking about it? What can anyone say?

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I was just saying that since this an ethics and morality forum, why not highlight illustrations of these values sometimes rather than arguing about them. I just found the youtube video and thought it would be a great positive thing to share.

It's very nice, but I don't know what you expect anyone to say about it, in a discussion forum. There is nothing to discuss.

I don't think it's illustrative of ethics and morality, either, as you seem to think. I think it's heartwarming, but I think Bambi's heartwarming too. It doesn't mean that E&M is an appropriate place to coo over how lovely Bambi is.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I was just saying that since this an ethics and morality forum, why not highlight illustrations of these values sometimes rather than arguing about them.
Well, you did post it , nobody complained about you doing so, so the question "Why not?" is moot.
Quite apparently there is no need for "rather than" considerations. Both (highlighting and discussion) can be had in abundance.
Btw. at the point where you asked for our opinions you invited discussion. Just saying.

On another note I am not sure I understand which ethical values this video highlights, in your opinion. Maybe an explanation as to what ethical values you feel are represented or emphasized in the video would be helpful.

I just found the youtube video and thought it would be a great positive thing to share.
Great. You could do it, you did do it, you contributed that which you think is worth contributing to this forum. Where´s the problem?

Upvote 0

Kevin Wier

Aug 13, 2008
Athens Ga
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not think that this story relates to bambi and I find that to be a very faulty comparison. Can you really compare a cartoon movie about a deer to a kid who is trying to find a cure for a disease knowing that any progress made will happen to far down the road to affect his life span?

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I do not think that this story relates to bambi and I find that to be a very faulty comparison. Can you really compare a cartoon movie about a deer to a kid who is trying to find a cure for a disease knowing that any progress made will happen to far down the road to affect his life span?

One is certainly more emotionally affecting than the other, but neither is appropriate for a discussion forum, because neither raises any questions that anyone would want to discuss. What do you want anyone to say about it? "Ah, that's nice"?

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Are you trying to start a controversial discussion here? :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I believe controversial issues deserve a section of anyone's time, but since when did our society become so hooked on controversy? For example, examine the other topics in this forum. This forum is supposed to be about ethics and morality, but I do not see one positive illustration of ethics or morality posted. I repeat, controversial issues must be addressed, but we cannot let them dominate our lives. I promise there are some good things going on in this world, why not highlight and celebrate them?

Look at the nature of controversy, and it's opposite. Say someone posted something which had not disagreement, no controversy.

OP: Murder is wrong.
P1: I agree.
P2: I agree.
P3: I agree.
P4: I am board.
*thread dies*

In essence, we further our existence though conflicts, and thus controversy. Your past has been destroyed by your present, who you were by who you are, who you are will be destroyed by who you become. All your good memories can never happen again, the chance, possibility of doing such has been destroyed. All you have is the now, which must be destroyed to reach the later. A new way of looking at something destroys and old way. Heliocentric destroyed geocentric. Primeval atom destroyed steady state. Chemist destroyed alchemy. Science destroyed magic. America's government destroyed the one before it. Every little change is the destruction of the old to reach the new.

Or maybe I just love and thrive in controversy a bit differently than the rest of you homo sapients out there.:wave:

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I was thinking that it could start as a thread where other people could post other stories that caught them as ethical or moral. I was attempting to highlight some positive things to remind people that there are things that bring people together.
Why don´t you give that approach a try?
This thread certainly started off with a different attitude: You confronted people with your criticism, and in the thread title you not only used the broadest generalization possible ("everyone"), but also concluded from the frequency of a phenomenon on the mindset of "everyone": being "hooked up on it."
This has a certain polarizing potential.

If you want to make a harmony thread, try something different.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I thought about doing that, but I knew no one would look at it because everyone is so hooked on controversy. I guarantee that no one would have replied, much less read the post, and the post would be off the message board right now. That is my point exactly.
Ok, so you are concluding on the mindset of everyone here not from observation but from your preconceptions, and avoid doing everything that might produce results that don´t match your preconceptions (i.e. what "you know")?
Now everything makes more sense to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I thought about doing that, but I knew no one would look at it because everyone is so hooked on controversy. I guarantee that no one would have replied, much less read the post, and the post would be off the message board right now. That is my point exactly.

What kind of replies would you have liked?

Can you honestly say that you would have read my post or looked at the link that I posted if I would have named it heartwarming story or Darius Goes West- fighting against muscular dystrophy?

Can you explain what the story has to do with ethics? What would you have liked people to say about it?

The problem, as I perceive it, is that if everyone agrees that something is nice, touching, or heartwarming, there's nothing to talk about. As Lawtonfogle said above, you say "Isn't this lovely?" and everyone else says "Yes," and then that's the end of the conversation. What would you say was the point of that, and would you say that such a thread belonged in a forum which is explicitly for the discussion and debate of ethics and morality?

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Can you honestly say that you would have read my post or looked at the link that I posted if I would have named it heartwarming story or Darius Goes West- fighting against muscular dystrophy?
Probably not - because that title would have already anticipated what seems to have been established in the meantime: There is no ethical or moral statement whatsoever in this video. Nothing to ethically agree upon or disagree upon. When I want to see heartwarming stories I go to places that are dedicated to showing heartwarming stories.
It´s a heart warming story, and thus it belongs in the heart warming story forum (whatever the technical term for it is here).
I have no problem with you showing it here, though. I just would like to reserve the decision if and when I want to watch it.

Now let me get this straight:
You knew that nobody here would be interested in this video. And in order to trick me into this video of which you thought I would neither be interested in seeing nor would like it, you pretended to be antagonizing so that I would be more attracted. Is that what you are trying to tell me?

And what did you think the result would be when tricking someone into watching a video that (as you "knew" all along) they wouldn´t enjoy anyways?

Now we could have a discussion whether this is ethical behaviour or not, but I think I better leave now.

Reactions: cantata
Upvote 0

Kevin Wier

Aug 13, 2008
Athens Ga
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not try to trick you into watching this video. I was just trying to re-emphasize my point. I think this is a perfect place to display this video because morality can be illustrated through virtuous behavior. No one thinks that this video illustrates virtuous behavior? That is ridiculous. As for ethics, I define that as a group of moral standards that guide the actions of an individual. How in the world does that not relate to this story?

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I did not try to trick you into watching this video. I was just trying to re-emphasize my point. I think this is a perfect place to display this video because morality can be illustrated through virtuous behavior. No one thinks that this video illustrates virtuous behavior? That is ridiculous. As for ethics, I define that as a group of moral standards that guide the actions of an individual. How in the world does that not relate to this story?

Again, I want to know what kind of responses you would have liked.

"Ah, this video illustrates virtuous behaviour."
"Yes."
"I agree."

Fascinating conversation...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.