Why is 3 a.m. known as “the devil’s hour”?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Many claim that the devil is most powerful during this time period.​

Horror movies and paranormal TV showsfrequently talk about the “devil’s hour.” Depending on the source this can be referring to the time between from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. or the hours between midnight and 3 a.m. In either case, many claim that the devil is most powerful during this time period.

This idea seems to have sprung from the awareness that Satan loves to mock God.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke tell us that Jesus died during the “the ninth hour.” In modern calculation this would be 3 p.m. According to this idea, Satan then flips the symbolism on its head by taking for himself 3 a.m., in direct mockery of God.

Another reason that this time is considered a source of unusually high demonic activity is the fact that it is in the middle of the night; the sun has long been set and will not rise for a few more hours.

Scripture repeatedly refers to night and darkness as a time of sin. This concept is perfectly summed up in the Gospel of John, “And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed” (3:19-20).

Also, Jesus was betrayed by Judas during the night (sometimes thought to be at midnight) and Peter denied Jesus before the “[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crowed” (about 6 a.m.). This would mean Jesus’ “trial” before the Sanhedrin occurred during the “devil’s hour.”

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Many claim that the devil is most powerful during this time period.​

Horror movies and paranormal TV showsfrequently talk about the “devil’s hour.” Depending on the source this can be referring to the time between from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. or the hours between midnight and 3 a.m. In either case, many claim that the devil is most powerful during this time period.

This idea seems to have sprung from the awareness that Satan loves to mock God.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke tell us that Jesus died during the “the ninth hour.” In modern calculation this would be 3 p.m. According to this idea, Satan then flips the symbolism on its head by taking for himself 3 a.m., in direct mockery of God.

Another reason that this time is considered a source of unusually high demonic activity is the fact that it is in the middle of the night; the sun has long been set and will not rise for a few more hours.

Scripture repeatedly refers to night and darkness as a time of sin. This concept is perfectly summed up in the Gospel of John, “And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed” (3:19-20).

Also, Jesus was betrayed by Judas during the night (sometimes thought to be at midnight) and Peter denied Jesus before the “[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crowed” (about 6 a.m.). This would mean Jesus’ “trial” before the Sanhedrin occurred during the “devil’s hour.”

Continued below.
Hmm, strange stuff. Personal anecdote: On April 1st, 2021, I moved out of my parents house to a nearby apartment, with a roommate. Moving out was a new experience, and I was nervous, so my sleep cycle was disrupted. Fast forward to 4/9/2021, at 3:30 AM, I opened up my Magnificat (Catholic booklet), and began to read it aloud, and grabbed an Ethiopian cross (from when I went on an Ethiopian mission trip back in 2016) very tightly. At 3:33 AM, I noticed my hands had blisters on it, and thought "Is this my hand bleeding like Jesus". I tried calling my parents, and it didn't work. Then, my roommate woke up as I threw a clementine and my old TV remote across my room. Thankfully, that experience helped me. I went to the Sisters of Saint Mary's hospital, and spent 3 full nights there. On April 13th, I went home. But, at the hospital, one of the other patients had a machine hooked up to her which said 333 mg/hr on it. Her name was Esperanza, which is Spanish for hope. As we know, Jesus rose in three days, and three means the Trinity. God answered my prayers, as I was praying to become a better person. Sadly, the roommate situation at the apartment didn't work, so I moved back home in July 2021, and then slowly moved out to a condo in April-July 2022. 2022 and 2023 are very smooth years, and are going well. I became Catholic from non-denominational in April 2022 on Easter Eve. :) So, maybe the mental breakdown I had on the 9th of April 2021 wasn't the miracle, but the hospital stay taught me that getting better sleep would help me become a better person. And while the rest of 2021 was kinda rough, everything after spring of 2022 have been going well. I have to thank God, and my parents for supporting me. Now, I want to do the same for others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My boyfriend and I saw a clock at my house stop at 9:45 pm, then 24 hours later start working again at 9:45pm. It did that twice. Freaked my boyfriend out.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My boyfriend and I saw a clock at my house stop at 9:45 pm, then 24 hours later start working again at 9:45pm. It did that twice. Freaked my boyfriend out.
Well, any clock that is broken will be on time at least twice a day for a minute or so. :)

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well, any clock that is broken will be on time at least twice a day for a minute or so. :)
When it would restart, it would run for 24 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
3 a.m. to 4 a.m. or the hours between midnight and 3 a.m.
Most people are sleeping at that time. The devil likes to mess with people in thier sleep if they do not plead the blood of Jesus for protection. The bars usually close at 2 or 2:30. Use to be the 24 hour resturants get busy at that time.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It might be a faulty circuit inside the clock, or the battery is getting low. Unless your timekeeping device is a pendulum clock.
But what are the chances that it would stop and start at exactly the same time. That's what makes it weird.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but maybe a glitch in the code rolls over at the 24 hour mark.
This was just a battery powered wall clock. Very basic.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.