Why I'm not a young earth creationist...

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Nowhere does the Bible say that the earth is less than 10,000 years old. It's an assumption based on adding up the genealogies of the Bible, while assuming that the earth began with the creation of Adam and that there are no gaps in the genealogies.

Whereas Romans 5 says that death entered the world through Adam, this refers to human death, not animal death. If it were proven that the Bible requires belief in young earth creationism, I'd seriously consider it, but not without some difficulties.

If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, is there any evidence that humans and dinosaurs co-existed? The fossil record seems to contradict that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, how do you explain fossil fuels? Are there any petroleum geologists who are also young earth creationists?

How do you explain distant starlight? Not only that, how do you explain the remnants of supernovae? If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, wouldn't that mean the skies contain evidence of supernovae that never happened? How would that square with Psalm 19:1?

Even Answers in Genesis seems to admit that there are supernovae from before 10,000 years ago:

Since SNR remnants with ages much older than 7000 years are known, the supposed lack of old SNRs probably is not a good argument for recent origin. I discourage recent creationists from using it.
Are Old Supernova Remnants Really Missing? Re-Evaluating a Well-Known Young-Universe Argument

I am not a young earth creationist because these and other concerns have not been resolved, at least not to my satisfaction. Are there any young earth creationists who are able to resolve these concerns?

Last edited:

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere does the Bible say that the earth is less than 10,000 years old. It's an assumption based on adding up the genealogies of the Bible, while assuming that the earth began with the creation of Adam and that there are no gaps in the genealogies.

Whereas Romans 5 says that death entered the world through Adam, this refers to human death, not animal death. If it were proven that the Bible requires belief in young earth creationism, I'd seriously consider it, but not without some difficulties.

If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, is there any evidence that humans and dinosaurs co-existed? The fossil record seems to contradict that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, how do you explain fossil fuels? Are there any petroleum geologists who are also young earth creationists?

How do you explain distant starlight? Not only that, how do you explain the remnants of supernovae? If the earth is less than 10,000 years old, wouldn't that mean the skies contain evidence of supernovae that never happened? How would that square with Psalm 19:1?

I am not a young earth creationist because these and other concerns have not been resolved, at least not to my satisfaction. Are there any young earth creationists who are able to resolve these concerns?
The sin of Adam brought corruption to the whole cosmos, that's how it has always been understood, and what do I care about fossils, people know say dinosaurs are like chickens. lol

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The usual responses are as follow:

1. There is evidence for people living alongside dinosaurs, including cave paintings, pottery artistry, and stone etchings of dinosaurs (if you believe they aren't forgeries or are of other animals). There is also a photograph that depicts a t rex track with a human footprint in it (if you believe it isn't forgery). Denial of the fossil record is necessary for this position, so contradicting evidence from paleontology isn't accepted.

2. Fossil fuels can be made in laboratories in a matter of hours. Therefore the earth could also make them in hours. If you believe this logic holds up in that the earth can do what our machines can and just as rapidly.

3. The speed of light has changed and was really fast in the past, and has slowed down since. Therefore objects hundreds of millions of light years away could be visible today. I have not heard explanations for galaxies themselves (not just their light but the galactic physical body) and their tails that span hundreds of thousands of light years.

These are the usual "scientific" responses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
The sin of Adam brought corruption to the whole cosmos, that's how it has always been understood, and what do I care about fossils, people know say dinosaurs are like chickens. lol

Um... Okay... Where does the Bible specifically say that animal death was caused by Adam's sin?

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The usual responses are as follow:

1. There is evidence for people living alongside dinosaurs, including cave paintings, pottery artistry, and stone etchings of dinosaurs (if you believe they aren't forgeries or are of other animals). There is also a photograph that depicts a t rex track with a human footprint in it (if you believe it isn't forgery). Denial of the fossil record is necessary for this position, so contradicting evidence from paleontology isn't accepted.

2. Fossil fuels can be made in laboratories in a matter of hours. Therefore the earth could also make them in hours. If you believe this logic holds up in that the earth can do what our machines can and just as rapidly.

3. The speed of light has changed and was really fast in the past, and has slowed down since. Therefore objects hundreds of millions of light years away could be visible today. I have not heard explanations for galaxies themselves (not just their light but the galactic physical body) and their tails that span hundreds of thousands of light years.

These are the usual scientific responses.

Screenshot_20210619-225124~2.png

Screenshot_20210619-225201~2.png

Screenshot_20210619-225153~2.png

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
There is tons of evidence for a young earth, soft tissue in dinosaur bones is just the start..

A follower of His, Not me

That seems interesting. Are you able to explain the remnants of supernovae that occurred much earlier than 10,000 years ago? Also, how do you explain fossil fuels? Are there any petroleum geologists who subscribe to young earth creationism?

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced

How do young earth creationists explain supernovae from before 10,000 years ago?

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That seems interesting. Are you able to explain the remnants of supernovae that occurred much earlier than 10,000 years ago? Also, how do you explain fossil fuels? Are there any petroleum geologists who subscribe to young earth creationism?

Yes, there are answer for all these if you search for the peer reviewed papers..

Many don’t get fanfare because they go against the preferred dogma of the day..

Be blessed in your searching, Not me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't it possible that there were cavemen who inadvertently dug up dinosaur bones and then depicted it in art, rather than witnessing living dinosaurs?

I suppose that could be possible. Personally i think the painting could very well just be a forgery or just an abstract looking lizard as well. Hard to say.

The "stegosaurus" carving actually has a horn on its head as well, as if maybe it were a rhino or a pig with vegetation behind it.

I think it comes down to what quality of evidence you're willing to accept. And maybe the background you're approaching the topic from.

Personally I am not a young earther but this is what they tell me.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do young earth creationists explain supernovae from before 10,000 years ago?

Well, when it comes to the speed of light, often times they suggest that perhaps light moved faster in the past. And therefore could reach us in 6000 years, even if an object may be a million light years away.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, when it comes to the speed of light, often times they suggest that perhaps light moved faster in the past. And therefore could reach us in 6000 years, even if an object may be a million light years away.

But I'm not sure what their response is to galaxy tails that span hundreds of thousands of light years in distance.