South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What nation was the Black national anthem for? I thought we we were “one nation under God indivisible “.
Read the lyrics and notice that it's a God focused song that reflects the history of many people in our country. Despite the unfortunate nickname some feel it has been given, that doesn't diminish the message or impact that song has on millions of our fellow citizens. It's not like historically white people in the US have done a great job of living up to either "one nation" or "indivisible" in how we treated others who live here. If anything our willingness to accept the meaning it has to our black neighbors would be a small but significant step towards helping them feel part of "one nation under God indivisible".

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟107,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read the lyrics and notice that it's a God focused song that reflects the history of many people in our country. Despite the unfortunate nickname some feel it has been given, that doesn't diminish the message or impact that song has on millions of our fellow citizens. It's not like historically white people in the US have done a great job of living up to either "one nation" or "indivisible" in how we treated others who live here. If anything our willingness to accept the meaning it has to our black neighbors would be a small but significant step towards helping them feel part of "one nation under God indivisible".
I did read them and below is the entire lyrics I found when googling them. She only sang the first verse.

The Negro National Anthem: "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
by James Weldon Johnson (June 17, 1871 - June 26, 1938)
Originally written by Johnson for a presentation in celebration of the birthday of Abraham Lincoln. This was originally performed in Jacksonville, Florida, by children. The popular title for this work is:
'THE NEGRO NATIONAL ANTHEM'
Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us, Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us, Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears have been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered, Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, Our God, where we met Thee; Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee; Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand.
True to our GOD,
True to our native land

Nothing here changes my opinion that this is more divisiveness, but I do agree that billing it as the "black Nation Anthem" is "unfortunate". If someone billed the Star Spangled Banner as the "White National Anthem" it would spark national outrage. The happy face you try to put on this does not work, it is what it is. We do not sing the Russian national anthem or any other nation's anthem at our public events such as the super bowl. This country is made up from people from across the globe we are "one nation under God indivisible" even though some try to divide us.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They also sang ‘“America the Beautiful” before this same game. Sporting events often sing other songs before the National Anthem. Are you concerned about those as well? Or is your concern really about the nickname and not the context of the song.

P.S. Subtle little misrepresentative comments like “happy face” are in vogue on forums like this but do nothing to actually foster reasonable conversation.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟107,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They also sang ‘“America the Beautiful” before this same game. Sporting events often sing other songs before the National Anthem. Are you concerned about those as well? Or is your concern really about the nickname and not the context of the song.

P.S. Subtle little misrepresentative comments like “happy face” are in vogue on forums like this but do nothing to actually foster reasonable conversation.
Lyric is exactly like I found it through google. No one I know would consider America the Beautiful divisive. As far as the happy face comment I could have worded my opinion a little different. Would "rying to justify the unjustifiable" sound better? That is my opinion I hope I am free to state it. The nick name or content changes nothing it is the idea that any group within this nation feels the need for a separate "national anthem" is IMOP against everything the nation stands for no matter how one tries to spin it. Although the whole song was not sung the line "True to our native land" is a bit bothersome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would "rying to justify the unjustifiable" sound better? That is my opinion I hope I am free to state it.
That is a much more solid way to state what you believe and of course you are free to state your opinion. Thank you.

Back to the topic, can you understand how when the song was written in the early 1990s that black people could have felt like it was not one nation, indivisible? I can. I do agree with you in that I am uncomfortable with the “Black National Anthem” designation today, but over the years I have talked and learned enough to reach the opinion that most who cherish that song don’t want a separate country but want to hold on to a part of their history where they got a sense of belonging. So I look past the nickname it was given a century below, and I look instead at what is says and the meaning it holds from a heritage standpoint to many of my fellow citizens. In a country as diverse as ours, I don’t think I have to be able to personally relate to everything that brings pride and belonging to other groups of Americans in order to support them.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’d like to discuss the accusations that have been made over the past couple of years about the US national anthem, the Star-Spangled Banner. The woke mob claim the song is racist towards African Americans.

As I understand it, the protest is not against the anthem per se, but rather against the racism and police brutality that occur in the nation that the anthem represents.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟107,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Photo goes viral of Kari Lake refusing to stand during Black national anthem before Super Bowl

Good for her. I wouldn’t have stood either. And no I’m not racist nor woke. The Star Spangled Banner is my nations anthem and there is no other. This is not a black nation it is a nation of many races and cultures and they all should unite as one.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟107,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is a much more solid way to state what you believe and of course you are free to state your opinion. Thank you.

Back to the topic, can you understand how when the song was written in the early 1990s that black people could have felt like it was not one nation, indivisible? I can. I do agree with you in that I am uncomfortable with the “Black National Anthem” designation today, but over the years I have talked and learned enough to reach the opinion that most who cherish that song don’t want a separate country but want to hold on to a part of their history where they got a sense of belonging. So I look past the nickname it was given a century below, and I look instead at what is says and the meaning it holds from a heritage standpoint to many of my fellow citizens. In a country as diverse as ours, I don’t think I have to be able to personally relate to everything that brings pride and belonging to other groups of Americans in order to support them.
It’s good that we at least agree on some aspect of this. I have no issue whatsoever with a song about how someone feels about their situation. It is the underlying woke mentality that is the problem. If this song is given a place of stature as any kind of national anthem then we should look for a Japanese, Indian, Irish, gay or conservative anthem. Just any group that has ever been treated wrong in this country has just as much right to have theirs. There is no redemptive qualities to this as related to uniting this nation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟104,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Could the last line be a problem? "O'er the land of the free," when many were not free, and when "the brave" were not brave enough to speak out against the immoral practice of slavery?
An unfortunate aspect of our history, but the ideal was there and eventually we were able to live up to it. Many Americans (mostly white) fought and died to help free the slaves. You can look at the dark side or the bright side.

Upvote 0