Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Far from being an "isolationist country," the United States has admitted more immigrants than any other nation on Earth.
Source, please. And, to be fair, a more appropriate measure would account for a nation’s population size and other factors reflecting its ability to absorb immigrants (e.g. space, economic health).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Source, please. And, to be fair, a more appropriate measure would account for a nation’s population size and other factors reflecting its ability to absorb immigrants (e.g. space, economic health).

That is a point worth mentioning, but first it is important to acknowledge that there is nothing in the policies of the USA that can fairly be termed "isolationist" when something like 60 million residents in this country are foreign-born. The term is not only insulting but it's undeniably untrue.

Now, as to the bolded part of your post, I agree that "other factors" must be considered. Among them may be square mileage, as though immigration is nothing more than stacking bodies up in open space like shipping containers! Of course, that is a misleading way of thinking about numbers of immigrants, etc.

More relevant would be such considerations as how many refugees--from the whole world--can be accommodated in our schools, hospitals, industries, housing, and so on. It is not limitless, you should know, even if every one of them were skilled, law abiding, and everything else that's admirable.

We currently pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars annually for each immigrant in the form of welfare benefits, free care, and so on. And each of those dollars comes out of what would otherwise be available to our own poor, the people who have, despite their own limited resources, paid taxes unlike the immigrants who have paid in exactly nothing upon entering the country.

By contrast, there is Canada. The Trudeau government made a point of announcing that Canada (unlike the USA presumably!) was welcoming towards immigrants! But not long thereafter, the authorities were alarmed and claiming to have been overwhelmed by a few hundred immigrants arriving in Emerson, Manitoba. The Canadian publication, Independent, reported this:

“We’ve had four cross this week – a Somali, a Honduran, someone from El Salvador, and even an American,” said Frank Suderman, manager of the Maple Leaf Motel, located a hundred yards from the border.

“It’s always at 2am or 5am. They knock on the door. You never know. We’ve always had people crossing, but never this many.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Heartofsilver,

As a registered Independent, I would vote Republican if I thought the Republican candidate was more qualified than the Democratic candidate, but that's changed for me in the last four years of Trump. I don't recognize the Republican Party anymore since Trump has ensnared it. As far as I'm concerned, it has been morphed into the Trump Party and molded to be in his image. If I consider voting Republican again, then I will make sure the Republican candidate never supported Trump. I'll vote Democratic or for a Third Party candidate (who didn't support Trump) because I won't vote for a Trump Republican.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a point worth mentioning,...
So, I repeat: Please provide a source for this claim:

Albion said:
Far from being an "isolationist country," the United States has admitted more immigrants than any other nation on Earth.

By contrast, there is Canada. The Trudeau government made a point of announcing that Canada (unlike the USA presumably!) was welcoming towards immigrants! But not long thereafter, the authorities were alarmed and claiming to have been overwhelmed by a few hundred immigrants arriving in Emerson, Manitoba. The Canadian publication, Independent, reported this:
Do you have any substantial evidence that, despite the reports of one hotel manager, Canada is any less welcoming to immigrants?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But in this case about revolution Jefferson was/is right. We need to get a bit unsettled from time to time. Because we haven't allowed that for so long we are coming into a large crisis that might end up very ugly. Last time we had a civil war.

Last time we had the 60s.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Republican Party was an upstart once, back when the Whigs and the Democrats were the big parties. There are no more Whigs. So things can change. The Republicans were an anti-slavery thing. The Whigs tolerated slavery. The Democrats were pro-slavery. Today the Democrats are pro-abortion. I wouldn't mind if they went extinct.

That sounds evil.

Evil to the tune of $133.45 up here in our state.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to be a Democrat. I was a Republican not to long ago as well. I do not feel the need to belong any longer to either the political party of Tweedle Dee Or of Tweedle Dum. I look back on the last election and it was really people voting against a bad candidate instead of voting for a good candidate. From now on I'm going to stop wasting my vote on bad candidates. Maybe I won't vote for a winner, but at least I will not have to live in shame for voting for a bad candidate.

Check out the American Solidarity Party. It's a rational centrist party that could take off. At least I hope it does.

But then Party this and Party that and the civil discord the two Parties have brought us is killing us. Taking a break from the politics is a good idea. As you noted, Jesus saves and not the Democrats or Republicans/
Left or right, both roads lead to the antichrist

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Check out the American Solidarity Party. It's a rational centrist party that could take off. At least I hope it does.

I will think about that. I haven't voted in a primary in decades because I have the same concerns you do.

Upvote 0