Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree fully with this point Steve. I also agree that all that is really needed is to change district to diocese and President to Bishop. The congregationalist orientation is just fine, but it would be honoring our confessions to recognize what is basically a reality anyway.

On a side note, it seems that some Presidents are already recognized and called Bishops anyway. I don't think we'd really have to change much, except the names.
Exactly, I would love to see a change to honor what is taught in the confessions and history as it is. Does anyone know why the LCMS is congregational instead? It seems to be difficult to find much information on why it has chosen that path in name when the President clearly holds much "power" as a Bishop often does.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judging from recent ELCA history, the inevitable controversy would revolve around Apostolic Succession, or so I think.
Absolutely, that is correct. Although, I do not know the exact details, the LCMS has full altar and pulpit fellowship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia which claims full apostolic succession. So, if that were so one could imagine they could consecrate the LCMS "Bishops" through that line.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did not know of that connection, but it certainly is one possible scenario. However, in the ELCA situation, the church was split on whether or not they wanted Apostolic Succession.

The majority said yes, so it went forward. Nevertheless, a number of congregations left ELCA to form several new Lutheran church bodies as a result.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not know of that connection, but it certainly is one possible scenario. However, in the ELCA situation, the church was split on whether or not they wanted Apostolic Succession.
This is probably a very important point. I would imagine that many (most?) LCMS parishioners would not want to have a polity similar to the RCC in their view....in my view not understanding where/why the Lutheran Church came to be anyways.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is probably a very important point. I would imagine that many (most?) LCMS parishioners would not want to have a polity similar to the RCC in their view....in my view not understanding where/why the Lutheran Church came to be anyways.
Actually, in Lutheran Church Canada our restructuring is moving us distinctly in that direction; and most Clergy favor it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, there will be no more districts ran as separated business entities; only one; Synod. The Synod President was responsible for ecclesial and business administration; now the Bishop will only be responsible for the spiritual well being of the Church, and a business administrator will look after temporal things. Instead of district presidents there will be regional Pastors and Circuit counselors. All synodical business will be looked after by the administrator.

• Informative
Upvote 0