Lord, help me to care enough
Jul 31, 2004
North America
✟8,782.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know the answer to that one, unfortunately. I have heard the Holy Spirit many times before, but never an audible voice, and most often no voice at all.

What is your reason for wanting to hear God? So that you can say you heard Him, so that you can have the experience of having heard Him, so that you know that you are spiritual enough to hear Him, or because you want to know what He wants from you at the present moment, so that you can do it? He will only speak to those who have that last one as their motive, even though He may tell you more than is strictly necessary for that, as a loving Father.

The purpose of God's communication is to show us where to go and what to do and when and how, that we might fulfill His whole plan for our lives in obedience, following His leading constantly like a sheep follows the shepherd. Jesus clearly spelled out the purpose of the HOly Spirit (my notes in brackets): "He, when He comes will convict the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment. concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me [when we do not believe His teachings in His Word, He speaks through our consciences, to personally convict us of sin], and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you no longer behold Me [when He was on earth, He told His disciples in person what was the right thing for them to do each step of the way—now that He is in heaven, we no longer have Him with us to direct us, so the Holy Spirit does instead], and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has already been judged." (John 16:8-11)

The Quakers have been known by many to be a Spirit-filled people (in general—the many of the orthodox ones I mean), coming to people's aid (like on the frontier) when there was no way they could have known or have been there at the right time with the right supplies, without the Spirit's leading. They listen during meetings and prayer times, spending time in silent seeking, instead of talking at God nonstop during prayer. They recognize that prayer is two-way communication.

But most of all, when they are trying to make a decision, even the tiniest daily decision, they test it, or "hold it in the Light", to see if it is God's will or not. First the plan must be totally given up, so that there are absolutely no personally motives one way or another—God being witness. Then if for example it was a yes or no decision as to what I should do, I would ask Him what if I decided yes, and think as if I had decided yes. "Would you be pleased Lord?" Then if He is pleased there will be a wonderful feeling of peace on that decision.

If He is not pleased, there will be a feeling of irritation or anxiety, that does NOT come from your own rationale or your own motives. (That last thing is important, and it takes a lot of time and prayer and practice to know the difference). So you suggest "no" in the same manner. Then if there still isn't His peace on that decision, there is something that needs to be worked through with Him. Perhaps yes and no aren't the only answers. Maybe He knows of a third option that is the best one. Or maybe there is something you are still clinging to in your heart that isn't His will, or something you haven't given over to Him. Or, what you are asking HIm may be totally the wrong thing to ask about--there may be something more important that you are missing. You must not make any decision that does not have the peace of Christ on it, no matter how badly you want it. He knows what is truly best for you. I have found so many hundreds of times, that what He tells me to do in this way is right, even if I thought to begin with it was wrong or not best. "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which you were called in one body…" Colossians 3:15

And, of course, the Lord will never tell you anything that contradicts Scripture as a whole (But it is important to have a right understanding of HIs Word).

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God does talk to us today. And yes, I think there is a VERY HUGE lack of faith. Escpecially since most people are misguided in their faith, even within Christianity. The short answer:

Matthew 7:

7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Matthew 21:

21Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
servant4ever said:
I am just wondering why doesn't God talk to us like God did to Moses and Abraham and Noah and even Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Is it just a lack of faith or something?
Greetings Servant4Ever,

Are you looking for an "audible voice"? From Pentecost onward, Christians have had GOD, through the person of the Holy Spirit, indwelling them. The Lord tells us: "Be careful HOW you hear." Interesting phrase isn't it? What do you think it means? From my experience, Jesus is telling me not to be so concerned with HEARING WITH MY EARS, but to "listen with my spiritual ears". As you grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord, and you mature from milk to meat, the Holy Spirit's voice seems to get louder and louder. On occasion, I have heard Him so loud in my spirit, I almost thought I could hear Him with my physical ears, but of course I wasn't. If you want to hear, REALLY HEAR the voice of God, start calling Him up every day, several times a day and spending a lot of time talking with Him. Know what He has to say in the Word. THEN your "spiritual ears" will begin to HEAR what He is saying to you.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

Pilgrim Simon

Aug 4, 2004
Stoke-on-Trent
✟215.00
Faith
Calvinist
One argument I heard is that it is to do with the different covenants that God entered into with man...e.g the Adamic covenant, the Noahic Covenant, the Covenant with Moses e.t.c.

For Calvinist fundamentalists, the argument is that Christ is the fullest revelation of God, and the Scriptures are God's written revelation containing all that is necessary for fiath and conduct.

Charismatics believe that God still speaks today in dreams and visions, prophesies e.t.c.

Mystics consider that they have an immediate encounter with God of a transcendant kind, similar to that described in the Transfiguration, or by Paul in 1 Corinthians 12. But these are heady experiences and a sound guide is needed.

Are you thinking in terms of particular guidance? e.g. Which house should I buy, what job should I take?

The best NON Christian technical discussion of this that I have found in terms of psychology and consciousness is Julian Jaynes' 'Breakdown of the Bicameral mind in the origin of consciousness'.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.