Why Does the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Have So Few Auxiliary Bishops?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY:The brutal murder of Bishop David O’Connell has aggravated the episcopal shortfall in the largest diocese in the US.

Shock and grief were the initial reactions to the killing of Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop David G. O’Connell. Beyond the horror of the brutal murder, however, lies a prosaic fact: With the death of Bishop O’Connell, the huge archdiocese faces an episcopal shortfall in one of the busiest seasons of the year for auxiliary bishops.

Bishop O’Connell was shot to death, apparently in his sleep, during the night of Feb. 18. Police charged Carlos Medina, husband of the archbishop’s housekeeper, with the crime.

Archbishop José Gomez of Los Angeles did not refer directly to these events in a Feb. 24 Lenten statement called “Learning to Forgive,” but his words seemed to fit what had happened. “None of this is easy. Jesus knows that, too. … But we have the power to forgive because in him we have been forgiven.”

While the message was comforting, it left unanswered the practical question facing the archdiocese.

In Los Angeles as elsewhere, spring means confirmations, and in dioceses with auxiliary bishops they and the ordinary share the workload of administering the sacrament to children and young people. That is no small chore in Los Angeles which, with 4,350,000 Catholics and 238 parishes organized in five “pastoral regions,” is by far the country’s largest.

Bishop O’Connell’s death brought the number of active Los Angeles bishops to just three—Archbishop Gomez and two auxiliaries — Bishop Marc Trudeau and Bishop Alejandro Aclan. But Bishop Aclan is recovering from a stroke suffered last summer.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know where I live they gather all the dioceses [children] for one very large event.
[Standing room only] and that's probably their only choice atm.
Sadly.

Prayers for vocations.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0