God fearing and God loving!
Jan 22, 2009
U.S.
✟64,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I think Jesus asked this question so that Bartimaeus could express his belief and faith that He could heal him. In Matthew 13:58, in that particular situation, it says that Jesus did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief:

Matthew 13:58 "And He did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief." (NASB)

Here with Bartimaeus, I believe Jesus knew he was blind. But, Jesus also wanted him to express his belief and faith. So, to draw that belief and faith out, Jesus asked him this question. With his answer, "...Rabbi, let me recover my sight" (ESV), he expressed his faith in believing that Jesus could heal him.

To prove this, go to the very next verse:

Mark 10:52 "And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way." (ESV)

So, overall, I think that Jesus just wanted to draw out his faith. It might also be asked, didn't Jesus know that he had enough faith? To answer this, I believe that yes, Jesus did know! But, he had to ask him the question to get Bartimaeus to use the faith that he already had to believe that He could heal him.

Also, I believe that God delights in fellowship and communication with us.

I hope this answers your question. :) All glory to God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fearnot87

A BROKEN HEART AND A COPNTRITE SPIRIT
Feb 16, 2015
Awka, Nigeria
✟17,978.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh what a revelatory explanation and it does answer my question.Moreso i think i can percieve that Jesus doesn't come to someone's situation uninvitedly,thus you must invite Him,even though He already knows our problems.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Good explanations. I've known people involved in healing ministry, and little acts of faith make a big difference in how well things go. I think we need to speak out our intents a lot more than we imagine we do; and also speak out God's past-present-future ability and will to act on our behalf.

Upvote 0