Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The term 'Conspiracy theory' is about to lose all meaning, so watch for it.

Just like 'racist' and 'hate' and 'terrorist' and 'progressive' and a dozen other overused political terms, it is rapidly passing into the no man's land in which 'Conspiracy theory' refers to any explanation of events that the speaker doesn't agree with.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
any explanation of events that the speaker doesn't agree with.
Than that will go both ways. Anything outside your bubble will be a conspiracy to you.

We need to be able to hear alternative viewpoints.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

MoreLikeNellie

Nov 13, 2020
Northeast
✟16,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a really great documentary on Netflix right now called "The Social Dilemma" (or something like that). I just watched it the other day, and it actually explains this - why people are succumbing to conspiracy theories - quite well.

Essentially, our internet use (and by that, I mean any internet use, not just Facebook) is tracked, and based on the sites we visit and the articles we click on, we are then fed more of the same in our search results and news feeds. Based on our internet use, and our geographical location, certain stories come our way that we are more likely to click on.

So, when I think to myself "My gosh, how could this person believe such a thing? They see the same things I do - how can they believe such nonsense?" Well, that's because they don't see the same things I do. And vice versa. We are continually fed a diet of news and articles that support what we already may think, taking each one just a step further down a rabbit hole, until voila: conspiracy theory.

(Ironically, this line of thinking in itself could probably be considered a conspiracy theory.)

The movie itself is a tiny bit hokey with its storytelling, but if you do watch it, please sit through it until about midway, when it really starts pulling everything together on a wider scale to help understand how people fall for conspiracy theories which are causing such division among us. Mind you, I always considered myself quite aware of this and savvy in the ways of the virtual world, and I was still greatly affected by this film and came away from it with an altered view.

Now, even without the internet, I know that I have always had a small interest in what some probably call conspiracy theories because A. I think there's usually a nugget of truth that may have been blown up way out of proportion, but still, a nugget of truth that's usually, at the very least, interesting to know and B. Sometimes....sometimes they're right. (I think about the whole "fat is bad, carbs are good" debacle, and how that was parroted by government agencies for decades to the detriment of the health of our entire populace. We know better now, but we're still climbing out of that huge misinformation campaign that mostly just lined the pockets of the companies in the processed food industry.)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Evaluating the plausibility of a person’s ideas requires functional prefrontal circuits. When people reflect on their thoughts, circuits in the frontal lobes are needed to confirm or refute whether the ideas are valid ... If frontal systems responsible for monitoring the credibility of ideas are dysfunctional, false conclusions are made about the veracity of an idea."

"How do these distinct mechanisms—distorted sensory information or faulty monitoring of ideas—have relevance to cognitively normal and healthy people without dementia who develop false beliefs? For someone without strong science literacy, absorbing and interpreting a graph of data about COVID-19 infections may be as difficult as it is for someone with dementia with Lewy bodies to interpret a face. Without reliable sensory data, individuals may be forced to look for other sources of information that resonate with their own feelings, including conspiracies that deny the existence of a threat. Rather than engaging with information that is difficult to “see” and that may require changes in behavior, it may be easier to take in data that are simple and reassuring. Conspiracy theories may bring security and calm, as with the patient with frontotemporal dementia who is content to believe they are rich. This problem is magnified by social media because before the internet, conspiracy theories usually remained siloed and quickly died off due to lack of supporters. Now, social media–fueled echo chambers amplify these theories, reinforcing false beliefs and discouraging people from seeking the truth."

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Science Denial and COVID Conspiracy Theories Potential Neurological Mechanisms and Possible Responses

Science Denial and COVID Conspiracy Theories—Lessons From Clinical Disease About Possible Neurophysiological Mechanisms

The ultimate conclusion of the study is that anyone who questions or cites evidence not being promoted by government and approved "experts" has neuophyisiological problems and is likely a nut. By calling into question the psychological state of those who ask questions, the real moral of the study is don't question, don't do your own research, submit and obey.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ultimate conclusion of the study is that anyone who questions or cites evidence not being promoted by government and approved "experts" has neuophyisiological problems and is likely a nut. By calling into question the psychological state of those who ask questions, the real moral of the study is don't question, don't do your own research, submit and obey.
That is not true at all. The ultimate conclusion is that more education needs to be done and we all need to make grater effort to be science literate

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is not true at all. The ultimate conclusion is that more education needs to be done and we all need to make grater effort to be science literate
Read: more indoctrination so that people will not question the government scientists or their conclusions. Funny how their conclusions almost exclusively increase the power and scope of government in our lives.

• Agree
Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read: more indoctrination so that people will not question the government scientists or their conclusions. Funny how their conclusions almost exclusively increase the power and scope of government in our lives.
Ok, so far better to just believe anything you read, especially if it supports what you already want to believe?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so far better to just believe anything you read, especially if it supports what you already want to believe?
I argue in favor of reading both sides and drawing your own conclusions, even if those conclusions aren't approved of by government scientists and the media. Apparently disagreement with them is cause for them to issue studies suggesting that people who reach their own conclusions are mental cases. Can't you see how dangerous that is? It's one step away from being declared an enemy of the people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I argue in favor of reading both sides and drawing your own conclusions, even if those conclusions aren't approved of by government scientists and the media. Apparently disagreement with them is cause for them to issue studies suggesting that people who reach their own conclusions are mental cases. Can't you see how dangerous that is? It's one step away from being declared an enemy of the people.

Far better to be an outlier? On the fringe? Believing what appeals to you?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know what one of the most important aspects of science is?

It's called "Skepticism."
Yes, that is the starting point. But can we agree on basic knowledge?

In 2015, in a survey of 11 000 12th-grade students who took the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) science assessment, only 22% were proficient or better in science, and 40% were rated as having “below basic knowledge.”

I also thought this was significant:
"Rather than engaging with information that is difficult to “see” and that may require changes in behavior, it may be easier to take in data that are simple and reassuring." Especially if it fits our political perspective.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is the starting point. But can we agree on basic knowledge?

In 2015, in a survey of 11 000 12th-grade students who took the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) science assessment, only 22% were proficient or better in science, and 40% were rated as having “below basic knowledge.”

I also thought this was significant:
"Rather than engaging with information that is difficult to “see” and that may require changes in behavior, it may be easier to take in data that are simple and reassuring." Especially if it fits our political perspective.

I'm more of a history/geography buff myself, and I'd rate the average American as having below basic knowledge in those fields as well.

I think the average American in general has below basic knowledge in many fields, not just science. Where are these Americans receiving education from?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Far better to be an outlier? On the fringe? Believing what appeals to you?
I think it is far better to ask questions and be willing to question the motivation of those giving you answers. We are all intelligent and capable of reaching our own conclusions.

Upvote 0