Why do some not speak in tongues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prayn4u

I know someone who has been a pentecostal for many many years but has never spoken in tongues. I don't really know what to say when she asks why not.
she says that sometimes she can almost feel it right there but it never actually happens.
I think she is scared and it is the fear that keeps her form speaking outloud. The pastor prayed over her and he said he heard her speaking but she still doesn't think she has spoken in tongues yet. She is a very strong christian but has a problem in this area and thinks somethign is wrong with her.
Anyone have any advice for her?

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Some don't speak in tongues b/c it isn't time for them yet. Or, b/c they haven't gotten to that place/level yet.

Coming someone who has went through and going through that.

For me personally, I will say the past b/c I have given the worrying over to God.

But, it was like when I felt it comes and times when I was about to speak it I would try and tense up my jaw to keep my mouth from opening. I would try just about anything. It was like I knew about it and understand and if you were sitting beside me speaking in tongues I would be fine. I think the thing that bothered me was, after I speak in tongues what is going to happen what is going to change.The thing about not knowing the unknown, it would be something I would turly know unless it happened to me.She can be good and strong christian but the fear could be hindering her. Once she realizes that and she learns to give it over to God. When she feels it coming to let it flow on call on the name of Jesus b/c he will be there to help her all the way and just say yes to God I truly think deep within my heart it will truly help her to be able to release it. I had to do this with God's presence.Seeing people being filled with his presence and with his spirit was one thing but me doing it was another. But it came to a point when getting prayed for when I gave it over to God and with in the second he took over and took control. I know one minute I was saying yes to him that next I am filled with his presence even more than usual it was to the point where I couldn't even stand in his presence.

Upvote 0

Anthonyw

Nov 28, 2006
✟7,853.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Some people just don't want too and its as simple as that. The lady has to have the desire and if she doesn't thats the end of the matter. [/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]If she believes the gift is there she has to speak, the Holy Spirit gives utterance as you speak. The Holy Spirit is not going to take over her and speak through her, she must do the speaking and He will move in her moving. [/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]I suggest if she really does want this gift and she has been baptised in the Holy Spirit then all the gifts are already there in her, all she as to do is say come Holy Spirit take a deep breath and speak out, and the tongues will come.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Blessings,[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Anthony:)[/FONT]

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
having been an altar/baptismal worker in the past i know that there are people who just are afraid. we would simply tell them what the Word says, and remind them that we do all things by faith. we cannot work for the Holy Spirit, it is the Holy Spirit who gives us the ability to do any and all things that we do, all we have to do is receive. "i am the Lord thy God who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, open thy mouth wide and i will fill it" Ps. 81:10...and we would encourage them to simply praise and thank God. that's all. no tarrying, no foaming at the mouth, no begging, no saying the same thing over and over again, just simply praising God. then God would change their english.....:angel:
and they would speak as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak. we would tell them to listen to themselves and afterwards ask them "did you receive the Holy Spirit?" "How do you know?" and they would always answer "because I asked God for it, and i heard myself speaking in tongues" (Acts 10:46) it is not hard. sometimes we are human beings are very analytical. God is intelligent but He will never trick us.
tell her to be encouraged::crossrc:
Lord Jesus look on this sister who is struggling. God you said that if we ask you for the Holy Spirit, we would receive because it is a good gift from you. let her rest in you, and praise you for what you have already given her. let her open her mouth and speak praises unto you and you said that out of her belly would flow rivers of living water! we look for your blessings In Your Name
Amen

bithiah2

Upvote 0

opljar

Apr 22, 2007
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know someone who has been a pentecostal for many many years but has never spoken in tongues. I don't really know what to say when she asks why not.
she says that sometimes she can almost feel it right there but it never actually happens.
I think she is scared and it is the fear that keeps her form speaking outloud. The pastor prayed over her and he said he heard her speaking but she still doesn't think she has spoken in tongues yet. She is a very strong christian but has a problem in this area and thinks somethign is wrong with her.
Anyone have any advice for her?
i dont think there's anything wrong with her. except that perhaps she's uncertain and needs to build up confidence to speak out what's already in her heart.
people are so used to learning something step by step - like in the natural learning a new language - that with some people the mind balks at hearing strange unlearned words come out of one's own mouth.
perhaps there would be some small group of people in your church willing to take a Bible study consisting of candidates for and newly received , along with seasoned people in speaking in tongues. and there in a more relaxed and comfortable setting.. the topic can be taught.. have discussion.. and encourage everyone to participate.
sometimes just standing up in front of the entire church body in a prayer line can be intimidating to some.

i pray that she trusts in the Lord and reach the place of boldly speaking out the utterance of the Holy Spirit.

†
-------
hebrews 10:23
Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
i dont think there's anything wrong with her. except that perhaps she's uncertain and needs to build up confidence to speak out what's already in her heart.
people are so used to learning something step by step - like in the natural learning a new language - that with some people the mind balks at hearing strange unlearned words come out of one's own mouth.
perhaps there would be some small group of people in your church willing to take a Bible study consisting of candidates for and newly received , along with seasoned people in speaking in tongues. and there in a more relaxed and comfortable setting.. the topic can be taught.. have discussion.. and encourage everyone to participate.
sometimes just standing up in front of the entire church body in a prayer line can be intimidating to some.

i pray that she trusts in the Lord and reach the place of boldly speaking out the utterance of the Holy Spirit.

†
-------
hebrews 10:23
Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised.
I agree:)

Upvote 0
P

prayn4u

I thank all of you for your posts about this. I will tell her what was said. She has been in the church for many years. She moves in several gifts specially prophecy.
But for some reason she seems to be afraid of the gift of tongues. I think if she would relax and just ask the Lord
and wait on him it would all work out.
Thank you again and please keep her in prayer.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟839,021.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I thank all of you for your posts about this. I will tell her what was said. She has been in the church for many years. She moves in several gifts specially prophecy.
But for some reason she seems to be afraid of the gift of tongues. I think if she would relax and just ask the Lord
and wait on him it would all work out.
Thank you again and please keep her in prayer.

I suspect that she has been exposed to some defective teaching on the gift of tongues. I have written an article to try to address some of that, and it may help in her overcoming her mental block about it. Here is the link:

http://personal-communication.net.nz/baptism.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DanielMarsh

May 6, 2007
Brighton, MI
✟131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 12:27-31 (King James Version)

http://www.biblegateway.com/help/faq/?id=2#10
27Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

The answer to those questions are a resounding NO!!!

So, help her get rid of her guilt trip by identifying the spiritual gift that she does have, and help her develop it? Does she have any special talents like music? encourage her in her talents. encourage her in the spiritual gifts she does have. Maybe, she simply skipped over the lesser gift of tongues to a higher gift.

:bow:

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟804,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She has a mental block of some kind. Some people are just given a short, short, short language. In fact, since she's is comfortable receiving prophetic words, she's probably expecting a lengthy language. Encourage her just to be faithful over what she receives, the Lord will probably modify it later anyway.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟804,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She has a mental block of some kind. Some people are just given a short, short, short language. In fact, since she's is comfortable receiving prophetic words, she's probably expecting a lengthy language. Encourage her just to be faithful over what she receives (Luke 19:17), the Lord will modify it later.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟839,021.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The two basic reasons why people who are seeking the gift of tongues do not speak in tongues are:

1. They are passively waiting for the Holy Spirit to take over their mouths and speak through them without any effort on their part. That is not faith. Faith means that we have to do something practical on the basis that we believe that we can speak in tongues.

2. They do not believe that if they tried to speak in tongues it would not happen and all they would be doing is making it up themselves.

If a person has gone through the proper steps of receiving:

Believing that it is God's will for them
Asking
Receiving
Then stepping out in faith and making up the sounds with their mouths

Then the Holy Spirit will honour that faith and give them the words; but they have to start speaking in order for that to happen. While they sit passively, nothing will happen.

Therefore, ask God to forgive your unbelief, help your faith, and give you the courage to step out and start speaking. You will be pleasantly surprised at the language that will come out of your mouth when the Holy Spirit starts to flow out of you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PrincessFromOz

Forget that wizard dude...
Mar 12, 2006
Australia
✟15,868.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When I was first baptised in the Holy Spirit I resisted speaking in tongues because I'd been bought up in a church that didn't permit the gift being used. :eek:

When I became open to this and asked God for the gift I began speaking in tongues - so yeah, fear, mis-information and resistance prevented me in the first place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.