Why do some Catholics claim to believe in Catholic teachings on abortion but then

Status
Not open for further replies.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
state they want to vote for McCain or Palin, both of whom have stated they would fund embryonic stem cell research which is nothing less than the wholesale slaughter of embryos for research.
They have also stated its okay to have abortions in some circumstances, so obviously the life of the baby may or may not be worth protecting, depending on how it was conceived.

I don't get it.

Why aren't you voting for a third party?

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
because take pro life out of the equation and I have always been conservative on all the others issues as well.

I've never been a Democrat and i never will, even if i did fall into a crisis of faith. I'd still vote conservative. Not becuase i love Republicans, I think they suck too, but becuase I loath with all my being the democratic party, with each new radial that comes and spews his/her liberal tripe, I disdain them more. The radical pro abortion stance makes me sick.

That's why.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
because take pro life out of the equation and I have always been conservative on all the others issues as well.

I've never been a Democrat and i never will, even if i did fall into a crisis of faith. I'd still vote conservative. Not becuase i love Republicans, I think they suck too, but becuase I loath with all my being the democratic party, with each new radial that comes and spews his/her liberal tripe, I disdain them more. The radical pro abortion stance makes me sick.

That's why.
Do you realize its a mortal sin to vote for McCain in order to provide funding for embryonic stem cell research?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, that's what I really do think. Most people who vote for McCain/Palin are conservative on other issues, but it doesn't seem as morally bankrupt to say they are doing it because of abortion than if they say they like guns, taming the world one country at a time, tax cuts for the rich, privatizing Social Security, and leaving 47 million without health insurance.

Thank goodness for abortion, so that they can have at least one principled reason for voting as they do.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah i know, we can't get a decent party in there... He is still the lesser evil though, no matter how you spin it. Obama's 'plan' to save babies is not proportionate to his radical, and I mean radical pro abortion policies.

I can live with skipping the election which I may do, LA is a red zone anyway in spite of LA's high black population.

I could never vote for Obama in a zillion years just like I could never vote for either Clinton in a zillion years. They are too radical on abortion and other life issues.

I don't care what they say on ending the numbers, that said is to appease folks like you Jason, to throw you a line so you can wiggle around your church's teaching, which you have done...

They signed into law live birth abortions when they signed into law partial birth and nothing can make up for that. NOTHING... Obama will reinstate partial birth and not give any aid to saving a baby who survives a botched abortion.

Obama is scary. More then Clinton, so if I was in a blue state, I would vote McCain becuase it will be a vote against Obama, not for McCain, so no mortal sin is involved.

Reactions: Mom2Alex
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You know, that's what I really do think. Most people who vote for McCain/Palin are conservative on other issues, but it doesn't seem as morally bankrupt to say they are doing it because of abortion than if they say they like guns, taming the world one country at a time, tax cuts for the rich, privatizing Social Security, and leaving 47 million without health insurance.

Thank goodness for abortion, so that they can have at least one principled reason for voting as they do.

Oh give me a break...

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
state they want to vote for McCain or Palin, both of whom have stated they would fund embryonic stem cell research which is nothing less than the wholesale slaughter of embryos for research.
They have also stated its okay to have abortions in some circumstances, so obviously the life of the baby may or may not be worth protecting, depending on how it was conceived.

I don't get it.

We are to vote in an affectual and effectual way to limit the evil done. In this case, regarding the abortion issue, McCain is the clear victor, because the FOCA bill that Obama supports will destroy the statistically proven effect of abortion regulation in defending the lives of the unborn.

For instance:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IFRL/message/6362

Reactions: Mom2Alex
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Poor people don't pay a net amount to the fed, and if they do, it is small. I've been there, I even got my entitlement payment amount back for years.

Anyone who is poor should be directed to the EITC part of the IRS website, here:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96466,00.html

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are to vote in an affectual and effectual way to limit the evil done. In this case, regarding the abortion issue, McCain is the clear victor, because the FOCA bill that Obama supports will destroy the statistically proven effect of abortion regulation in defending the lives of the unborn.

In an election where every vote counts and the race is neck in neck, I do hope those who select a third party understand that that they are merely voting present. If you don't want McCain, vote for Obama. If you don't want Obama, vote for McCain.

Anyway... how did I know things would reach a point of this bucket of bile once the moratorium was over? Never mind. ;)

Reactions: fated
Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How much of that 14% decrease in abortions that takes place in States
I'm afraid I don't understand the question... You mean with regulations that are for inside the state? I don't know. But there are websites out there that have more information. I'm going to have to leave soon, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But, you can vote for Obama who is against having a real doctor come in to play when a baby survives an abortion because it would burden the abortion "doctor"? [audio]

I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you can vote for Obama who is against have a real doctor come in to play when a baby survives an abortion because it would burden the abortion "doctor"? [audio]
2.gif

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are all intelligent people here, for the most part.

We have all read what the USCCB has said, for the most part.

We must respect one another enough to allow each one to interpret what the USCCB has said prayerfully and thoughtfully.

In other words, mind your own business.

And so, I am making an announcement: You are all free to vote however you choose without comment or condemnation from me, and I expect you to accord others the same freedom.

It is good that there are Catholics focusing on the unborn....and other Catholics focusing on peace...and others focusing on human rights....and others focusing on global poverty....and others focusing on the environment.

All of these areas need advocacy. Thank you for stepping up to bat in the advocacy areas that I don't focus on. You are performing a valuable service, and I am, too.

God bless all of you who mind your own business.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Guys, I don't understand how you can say McCain is pro-life because he is against abortion, but supports the wholesale slaughter of fertilised human embryos - ie, BABY LIVES. Doesn't that mean he is anything but?

That's like saying someone is against murder because they don't kill "good" people and prefer only to kill criminals, who had it coming to them anyway. They're still murdering, whatever you want to reason.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Actually, can someone please give me documentation to support the claim that McCain supports stem cell research? We have documentation of Obama's free choice stuff, but I haven't seen anything posted about McCain and stem cell research. I'd like it to have on file.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.