Why do people make fun of the 72 virgins in the Islamic paradise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Muslim scholars themselves are of many diverse opinions on the subject--the Qur'an itself never mentions "72 virgins", but speaks several times of "companions"--but the interpretation of this is diverse.
Arabic is a bit sloppy. It also translates as "raisins". If you murder some innocent people you get 72 raisins for eternity. I'm just not that into raisins. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Arabic is a bit sloppy. It also translates as "raisins". If you murder some innocent people you get 72 raisins for eternity. I'm just not that into raisins. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
What would be even better: No murder and 72 boxes of chocolate for everyone. On Tuesdays.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....I think some people actually make fun of Islam for teaching the concept that there is enjoyment of sex in Heaven.....
I think people make fun of it because it sounds like the kind of thing horny unsatisfied men would invent rather than part of a divine plan.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It might be more of a last laugh if there is no marriage or equivalent relations in heaven. 72 virgins you can only talk with and try and keep happy. Sounds more like a punishment.
A lot of us are single and chronically longing for that kind of relationship. That's why I struggle or can't accept that there is no marriage or equivalent kind of relationship in Heaven. Imagine naturally being made to want something for a chronically long time and yet being unable to obtain it. Some people are okay with that, but to others it's a form of living hell. So that it being in Heaven is kind of our last hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
A lot of us are single and chronically longing for that kind of relationship. That's why I struggle or can't accept that there is no marriage or equivalent kind of relationship in Heaven. Imagine naturally being made to want something for a chronically long time and yet being unable to obtain it. Some people are okay with that, but to others it's a form of living hell. So that it being in Heaven is kind of our last hope.
Better get moving, you are not going to get any younger.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
VCR - I can totally understand that, but fringe benefits aside, what is a relationship but a strong friendship, not with a body but with the person within? The older one gets the ore evident that becomes but it was also the basis for arranged marriages which was/is the norm, even in the Bible. Of 4 billion alternate gender mates out there surely there must be one friend. But the point is it is our inner beings that matter which is no doubt why the Kingdom will focus on that rather than the ways of the flesh. In the meantime, it just may come the moment you stop looking.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Thought paradise, heaven, garden was a place of rest. RIP.

Jacob prayed that he would have peace when he was getting older,

Said God to Jacob,
"Is it not enough that you will have peace after your days are done?"

Though Jacob was granted peace the last seven years of his life.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps pointing out a similar thing that some Christians say might shed some light.

I'm sure everyone here has at some time heard the phrase 'the streets of Heaven are paved with gold'.

Consider how much scripture warns against the blind pursuit of wealth. If viewed as the truth doesn't that one phrase turn the pursuit of heaven into the pursuit of wealth, and perhaps the most useless sort of wealth?

Doesn't the promise of 72 virgins (who are presumably sex partners) do pretty much the same thing as regards any demands Islam has regarding sexual purity? And the virgins part even calls attention to those demands of purity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes that is one way to take it, but do most who hear that phrase take it that way?
No because they think worldly instead of Kingdom which is opposite to our ways

And pure gold would make a very poor pavement!
Well we'll most likely be walking and it would be easier on the feet. Healthy too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.