Why do people laugh at creationists? (BEN STEIN ADDITION!!!)

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You Fool!!!

I love it :). Ben got what he wanted, being "blown out of the water". Will he apologize and go away now? Ehh, probably not...

I'm particulaly annoyed by the "what are they afraid of" stance. It's like kindergarden boys calling each other "chicken" when they dare each other to go into girls bathroom.

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Could someone please explain the whole "lightning striking a mud puddle" thing? Is it a perverted version of an ACTUAL origins theory, or did Stein pull it out of his ass?
My guess it that it has something to do with the Miller-Urey experiment.

Upvote 0
C

Cassandra

My guess it that it has something to do with the Miller-Urey experiment.

*uses the power of the interweb to find out more about the Miller-Urey experiment*

Cool.

Now, I fully admit I don't grasp every element of that experiement (Chemistry ain't my thing), but I understood the gist of it.

I can wrap my head around THAT, but have failed at wrapping my head around how one could jump from THAT to lightening striking a mud puddle being part of evolutionary theory.

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
*uses the power of the interweb to find out more about the Miller-Urey experiment*

Cool.

Now, I fully admit I don't grasp every element of that experiement (Chemistry ain't my thing), but I understood the gist of it.

I can wrap my head around THAT, but have failed at wrapping my head around how one could jump from THAT to lightening striking a mud puddle being part of evolutionary theory.
Strawman arguments are easier to refute than the actual theory. Compare it to creationists saying that humans came from monkeys. Or that natural selection is random chance.

Upvote 0

FTPolice

Mar 2, 2008
✟15,719.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Cool.

That and those aminoacids readil polymerize under certain conditions and RNA can act as a catalyst to copy itself. DNA didn't enter the scene till way later.

In addition to that, people were laughing at one of the scientist he quote mined for saying "life formed on the back of crystals" I haven't seen the movie, but I imagine he's talking about a montmorillonite clay which, in the presence of fatty acids, trigger the formation of small lipid vesicles which look a lot like cells. In addition, such clay particles also bind RNAs and draw them into the lipid vesicle and if ribonucleotides are present, the particles catalyze the spontaneous formation of RNA oligonucleotides.

Soooo yea, quote mining and saying "Durr, crystals" does a better job of making them look silly.

Upvote 0