Why do people have problems with denominations?

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To be fair, I've heard attacks on the concept of denominations since I became a Christian 25 years ago.

Yeah, I know you mean. But I haven't been a Christian that long. In fact, I am still questioning.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have been in full-time Ministry for 25 years and I have served in multiple denominations. I have nothing against the vast majority of denominations. However, the surge that we have seen in recent years of the anti-denominational mindset, the massive decrease of denominational membership, the mass closings that are going on of denominational congregations, and the huge rise in non-denominational congregations is actually a work of Christ's that actually started close to twenty years ago now, a move by Jesus to bring the church, the one church, back to what it originally was and what He founded it to be before man got his hands on it and brought such destruction to it. Many denominational groups have attempted for years to fight against this, much to their detriment and without success, but they desire to hold on to their petty differences instead of embracing the Truth of the fact that Jesus established One Christian Church.

Several denominations in an attempt to survive in a religious atmosphere that is now becoming intolerant of denominations has attempted to do so by hiding who they truly are, through what one would call rebranding. I am not trying to pick on any particular denomination but the one that is most prominent for doing this is the Baptist denomination. If you will note in the last 5 years an untold number of Baptist Churches, most of which that are not known as First Baptist Church of... , have removed the word Baptist from their name and given themselves very generic names as to appear to be, at least on the surface, non denominational. Your average church member is not aware that this is the reason for this action only ministers and pastors who are actually involved in the workings of denominations at an associational level are fully aware of what is going on. This is being done for obvious reasons, they want to survive, they want to draw new members, and they cannot do that any longer by branding themselves as a denomination.

Jesus is involved in a work through The Holy Spirit to bring the Church back to what it was originally meant to be. Before Christ returns the Christian church will come full circle, back to what it was like in the beginning.

Thank you very much. That was very informative.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been to a few non-denom churches. One was essentially baptist, the other was essentially charasmatic. So it kind of made the ND pointless. However our current church, which is one we used to go to about two decades ago, isn't truly non-denom. They go by the bible only. No leanings towards anything. They teach the bible and don't put words that aren't in it. Such as "What this is REALLY saying is <insert denom leaning view>."

And because of this there are many types of people in the church with varying view. Many from other churches that had strong denom ties. We pretty much all get along despite where we came from/how we were taught. The pastor is open to anyone asking him questions or making any corrections they think he needs to hear. Though it doesn't mean he just changes his views. He will study and see if what they said is biblical.

Of course he still has to be safe with some things. For example one of the church members was "found dead". And it does appear to be suicide. However the pastor and elders will not comment on it and say no matter how he died, we shouldn't be focused on that but instead on praying for the family. He knows some members have views that will start conflict about if suicide is a sin and if it a hell bound thing or a heaven bound thing.

But as many stated, many of these non-denom churches come from a certain dom to begin with. Which makes me think they should just be called what they were to begin with.

The church we went to before this one we really enjoyed. It was a non-denom to. But about one year into it the pastor made an announcement one day that they would be joining some baptist chain of churches. He claimed it would not change the teachings of the church. But many left after that day. And more left week after week as they did start making changes. Currently the church only has about maybe 35% of its congregation left.

Wow

Thank you for sharing. That was very interesting.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If it takes a position on
  • Original sin,
  • Infant baptism,
  • OSAS,
  • Contemporary charismata,
  • Free-will/Pre-destination,
  • and many more;
it has the traits of a denomination.

Yep

Thank you for that.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are pluses and minuses to denominational churches in general, but I wouldn't call a denomination inherently bad just because it's a denomination. Whether any church is worthwhile to go to, denominational or not, depends on its teaching and its people.

Thank you

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never had a problem with denominations, in fact they're very helpful. When I see that a church is AOG or Reformed Presbyterian, I at least have an idea what that church actually believes. I don't have the slightest idea what any particular non-denominational church believes or how they conduct their worship. With denominations, I know what I'm getting into before I enter the building.

But if you visit such churches on Sundays, then you will find very little differences. If you attend sunday school classes you will find atheists in attendance.

So
The difference between you and the person sitting next to you in the pew, is up to 100 times greater than between any two christian churches with any name on them. Including religious cults.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But if you visit such churches on Sundays, then you will find very little differences. If you attend sunday school classes you will find atheists in attendance.

So
The difference between you and the person sitting next to you in the pew, is up to 100 times greater than between any two christian churches with any name on them. Including religious cults.
While I agree that we may never know who the elect are and therefore don't know the salvation status of those sitting around us at church I dare say I have a better idea what the church believes in based on its denominational ties. This is especially so for reformed Christians as that term means something to us and sets our churches apart from others.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Denominations are those whose founders have (for whatever reason) split from the original Church, have gone their own way, and have not returned.

The easiest way to return is to go on a journey backwards in time, tracing the pathway back through the various denominations. When you come to the end, you have found the Church that Jesus created here on Earth.

And when you go one step further back, by God's grace you will find the Jews.
They are still here by God's grace and by His promise to them, which He will fulfill for them when the time is right. (The Book of Revelations is a good textbook for that)
Those Jews who have already found God's promise are called Messianic Jews, and their promise will also be fulfilled in Revelations.

So that should give you a good place to start.

p.s. just to clarify, we are all under God's grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums